“Very nice”

Savannah Marriott Riverfront
Ranked #45 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

I would have given the hotel 5 stars but due to the renovation which is not thier fault I gave them a 4. The maintenance guy was refinishing the elevators and the smell was unbearable. He was an extremely nice guy very friendly. The concierge Michael was extremely helpful. He gave us a few good places to eat and said we had to go to Leopolds ice cream which we did and he was right what a great place and tasty ice cream.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,951)

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

Average hotel. Beds and rooms were clean. Renovations were happening so there was debris in the halls, elevators and lobby areas. Staff was very nice. Access was difficult due to road construction right in front of hotel. Room on the edge of the courtyard has sounds that travel from those at the bar so if you need/want a quiet room get one with no balcony on the courtyard.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2017

The hotel overall was nice. I was in town for a Gala. Check in was easy (I am a Marriott rewards member) I was able to check in the day before my arrival. The hotel is located not too far from all the happens downtown, the ferry is adjacent to the hotel and is free to downtown spots if you don't want to walk. There is a lot of construction which is confusing when your trying to get to the hotel. The hotel itself is nice enough. The ice machine on the second floor didn't work. There is a lot of remodel going on so workers are in and out the elevators. It was an average stay nothing to write home about. I will consider staying again if the rate is right.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank 70frequenttraveler
Reviewed 29 November 2017

I travel frequently for work and have stayed at variety of hotels in various cities. I have never been as consistently disappointed as I was at this hotel. The only reason this gets 2/5 is the staff. Everyone who delivered room service as well as housekeeping staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is lucky to have them!

The room was clean, but had recently undergone a "renovation" that was done quickly and with sloppy results. It didn't affect the quality of my sleep, but looking at crooked lamps and messy paint everyday is just annoying. The renovations continued while I was there in other parts of the hotel. I noticed the ceiling in the lobby near the entrance leaking one day and mentioned it to a worker who indicated it was common and not a big deal.

The food was awful. Not tolerable, not boring, not "just ok" - terrible. I ordered several things, and the only thing I was able to finish was the fruit bowl. The "cheese" they added to things had the consistency of old lotion. It was definitely not cheese. If you must stay here, do not eat at the hotel.

I had to print a PPT deck for reference during my stay. The hotel charged $8 to access the computer connected to the printer and charged an additional 57 cents a sheet to print. Maybe I'm spoiled by Hilton brand hotels (which all offer business centers for customer use for free), but this seemed really unnecessary.

Lastly, there were several issues with the charges. My colleague was charged for parking every day even though on check in she told them she didn't have a car there. They adjusted the bill after two requests. After being back home and looking over the credit card statement, there were two additional charges on my credit card for which I received no receipt. I was told both should have been included in the room charges, but they made a mistake and separated them. I called on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving to clarify the issue and was told that the front office manager and accountant were out until Monday and no one could do anything to help me. I finally was able to talk to someone a week later after leaving two messages. All the calls to the hotel and Marriott corporate to try and resolve this took an additional hour and a half.

All of these things on their own are small inconveniences, but together, they reflect poor management of the hotel. I will never stay at a Marriott again and was very happy to make reservations at business-friendly Hilton hotels for two weeks of travel in December.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Rhonda R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your recent visit and that you found our staff friendly and helpful. We are fortunate to employ associates dedicated to customer satisfaction.
Your disappointment with the other aspects of your stay is understandable and regrettable. Please accept my most sincere apology. There is no excuse for the numerous issues you encountered and certainly not Marriott's customary standards of excellent service.
Guest comments are important as they allow us to see where we are succeeding and where we need improvement. Thank you again for your time.
Safe travels on your business trip in December.
Best regards,

Reviewed 27 November 2017

My husband and I stayed here very recently and it really is a very nice property. We were assigned a room in which the ceiling light in the shower was laying on the shower floor. This was fixed promptly. The next day we reported how dim the lighting is in the bathroom as there are only the two can lights in the ceiling and nothing to light the mirror. We were told that it would be fixed. Not only was it NOT fixed, the employee at the front desk told us it's a design flaw and cannot be fixed as there is no lighting for that area of the bathroom. Very frustrating to be told 2 different things! My husband had a very difficult time shaving and it was nearly impossible to apply makeup. Housekeeping woke me up twice on Saturday morning, even with the DND sign on the door. The tile floor was dirty and the lamps in the bedroom dusty. IMO, this property does not meet the standards of Marriott. By way of attempting to satisfy us at check out, they took off the parking charges and also reduced the bill $50.

It seems to me if you know you have an issue with a "design flaw", the why not stock the bathroom with a lighted make up mirror or close off the additional light switch so the guest doesn't think another light is supposed to work? Or add a light at the mirror instead of a plate over the electrical outlet where the last light was.

So--I don't know that I would stay here again, given all the choices in Savannah. This property, while located riverside, is not centrally located and it's a bit dark to walk to it at night.

Room Tip: Bring a lighted mirror if you want to be able to discern anything close to the mirror in the bathroo...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple