3,078 results
All reviews reynolds square wine and cheese parking garage great location pink house next door historic district house restaurant four poster the river within walking distance each evening continental breakfast ice bucket cookies turn down service southern hospitality bottle of champagne
Reviewed 8 October 2018

This hotel is in a great location and walkable to many sights, restaurants and shops and the beds were really comfortable. However, our room was dirty! Sure the carpeting was vacuumed, but the baseboards in the bathroom and bedroom were filthy as was the molding on the doors. The wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling at the bottom, the bathtub was peeling and the area under the sink where the trash can was had visible grime and dirt. There was dried white paint on the carpeting and the floor in the bathroom. The front desk staff was not very professional and yelled out guests names from behind the desk to assign our rooms. They also carried on personal conversations that could be heard by all in the lobby area...just not impressive. We can't wait to visit Savannah again, but we will be visiting a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank sharongW9133SR
Reviewed 7 October 2018

This was my second time staying at the Planters Inn - I stayed for 4 nights this go around. I chose to stay again because of such a great experience the first time. My parents accompanied on this trip so we had rooms 202 & 203. The good things: great location, wine & cheese every night except for Sunday, and a smaller B&B feel. Unfortunately, both my parents and I had disappointments with the housekeeping staff. Bare minimum is done when they clean your rooms and there is always a musty smell in the rooms & hallway - they should look into a scent like other hotels do. Papers and plastic red stirrers were left in the hallway for days on end - even as we were checking out. Never heard a vacuum and never saw a vacuum - pretty sure the rooms don't get vacuumed on a daily basis. One day (day 3) we returned to the room to find barely any towels were stocked. Windows were dirty - I wondered how often they cleaned them. 203 had a balcony and the glass door was filthy.

Management sent up champagne to my parents for their anniversary, which was lovely. But they had to stare at the champagne bucket and dirty glasses for the remainder of the stay - how difficult is it for them to remove it?

Turn down service is a joke. Someone comes in to put candy on your night stand and draw the curtains over. They don't even bother to replenish towels or take out the garbage as is standard with turn down service. I'd say save the money on whoever does that and put it towards an extra person cleaning the rooms more thoroughly during the day or a window washer.

The elevator was out on day 2, no explanation and no signs posted on floors to alert people the elevator wasn't working There was just a sign on the lobby level. Thankfully we were on floor 2 so it was easy to walk up/down - I was mostly concerned for my mother who has severe knee problems but she managed the steps one at a time. No apologies were given for this. The elevator was out for the morning & early afternoon. According to a local business, there was a storm surge the night before. That's easy to understand - I just wonder why hotel management didn't deem it necessary to alert guests of this.

Breakfast is very basic and the women who get it set up and keep it cleaned are very sweet. Our last morning there was no milk. How do you not replenish the milk? What's worse is they left the cereal container out so I saw one man fill up a bowl of cereal but then couldn't eat it since there was no milk. How difficult is it to walk to a local store to get milk? It's not like the hotel is in the middle of no where. When we asked the woman for milk she said very angrily "NO MILK!" as if she was tired of repeating herself, even though it was our first time asking.

Overall the experience this second time around was extremely disappointing. All the seemingly little things added up to put a sour taste in my mouth. It felt like no one communicated and the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. Management seemed to be non-existent, that's the only explanation I could come up with. Perhaps management changed since the last time I stayed 4 years ago. Very unfortunate as I will not stay here again.

The nicest hotel staff members were the men handling valet. However they don't stay outside or at the door all the time so you have to seek them out or give your key to the front desk. The front desk staff never acknowledged you - so much for southern "hospitality."

If you're torn between this hotel and another, go with the other option. This hotel really needs to clean house - literally with housekeeping and get better people working there to bring it back to the Planters Inn I knew and loved in October 2014.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank lbznyc603
Marc F, General Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I thank you for taking the time to express your honest and poignant observations. I certainly apologize for the experience you received during your stay here during Hurricane Michael scare. Please understand that the hotel operates a little differently during emergency situations. As you have noted, staffing was an issue during your stay. We had employee families that needed to evacuate and on the other side, the local transportation system that gets most of our employees to work, shut down their services due to the anticipated impact from Hurricane Michael. The impact was quite noticeable with a reduced housekeeping staff sand laundry staff. We tried to the adapt the best we could. We are just happy that we were able to offer some place of refuge for those evacuating cities from the North.
While room 203 does not have a balcony, please understand that with 45 mph winds and a door opening to the outside, I would certainly expect some debris on the doors and windows. Rest assured these doors and windows get a through cleaning from the inside- since we are a 7 story building- we do clean the exterior annually.
For only the 2nd time if 17 years, we did have both elevators that were out. This was due to a power surge that tripped safety features on the elevator. We a were not the only hotel that had this issue. We were alerted to the elevator issue at 6:30am and made a service call to the elevator company for service. The elevators were restored at 12:45 and are still in operation. We had one that was on limited service due to a part still needed to put it back into full service. My apologies for the inconvenience.
Thank you for your comments regarding the breakfast staff, they are truly a great asset. Our food situation was also impacted by the Hurricane Matthew scare. Our milk did run out briefly during breakfast that morning. Our food delivery was impacted by the bridges coming to Savannah being closed due to high winds- something we did not expect. We did improvise and went to a local store that was open to replace the milk. The milk was out for about 20 min while we tried to find an open store and the breakfast attendant was trying to explain to a full room of people.
I would ask that do come back during “normal” times to experience the true Planters Inn and Savannah. Again, thank you for taking the time to express your observations.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

Location is what found me here, that and it was one of the last rooms in the city when I booked. Booking was easy after I called, when I couldn't get the website to take my reservation. We parked in the garage right next door. Check in was a breeze. Wine and cheese going on in the lobby, took several glasses to the room and went back for 2 more. The room is suitable and big enough for 2 people to be comfortable. Bed very comfortable. My biggest compliment is it is very clean, didn't even feel uncomfortable walking bare foot....I have a thing about perceived dirty carpet in hotel rooms. 3 big windows if you want light, heavy drapes if you don't. Husband says breakfast was standard fare. I do feel it was a bit overpriced but $50 was taxes and it is the going rate for rooms in Savannah certain weekends and time of the year. Would return.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2018

This is a nice old hotel. The rooms are clean. The staff is great. Location is wonderful.. If I come to Savannah again this is where I will stay. The valet parking is the best choice for under $25 dollars a day. Let you come and go as you please. Really didn't use my vehicle much with the free public transportation and paying for the tours. Had a very nice time.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DennisS4287
Reviewed 3 October 2018

Super close to the Market Area. Easy walking distance to great restaurants and outdoor music. Close access to the hop on - hop off bus tour. Beautiful vintage rooms. Great breakfast. It was everything we hoped for and more.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple