“Christmas Eve Dinner”

The Grey
Ranked #84 of 939 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Bringing her personal take on Port City Southern food to a city of her youth is for Chef Mashama Bailey a dream come true. It allows her to tap into the full breadth of her skills and experiences which combine to create dishes that are deep, layered, and soulful in their flavors while simple and approachable in their presentation. With a penchant for regional produce, seafood and meats, Mashama's current take on these traditionally southern ingredients reflects the cultural and ethnic melting pot that you find in a port city such as Savannah and this style of food is perfectly at home in the beautifully restored Greyhound Bus Terminal.
Reviewed 6 January 2016

This was our first visit to the restored Greyhound Terminal. No we may enjoy an elegant dinner at the booth! The chef and staff are superior, professional, and well informed.
Savannah is fortunate to have this 5 star restaurant. There are minimal amount of luscious choices. Lunches are now being served as well.

Johno M, Owner at The Grey, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2016

Betsy,

We very much appreciate your being our guest for a special dinner and sharing your impressions with the TA community. We look forward to seeing you at The Grey again in the future.

Reviewed 6 January 2016

We had the seafood boudin, spare ribs, sweet potato, and country pasta. The seafood boudin was the star of the show and really an amazing dish. Overall good experience and toward the top of the Savannah culinary list.

1  Thank Jordan_Morris
Reviewed 6 January 2016

A 1938 Art Deco bus station (hence the name Grey) that has been carefully restored is the setting for an excellent restaurant on the west side of the Historic District. Realizing that there were no tables available until after New Years, we took a chance and were fortunate one night to find two spots at the bar after a short wait. The large internal bar was alive with activity by two interesting and skilled bartenders who were good sources of the history of the place, which is adjacent to Savannah's bus station. The old clock, windows, signs, etc. from the Greyhound terminal add to the ambience nicely. The food was delightfully delicious. We shared the winter garden salad as a starter and then chose the roasted yardbird (one of the best roast chickens in a long time!) and Carolina gold rice middling along with a side of smoked collars (prepared on an outside charcoal grill). Dessert was a large chocolate parfait. Very good wine and beer list. Professional and efficient wait staff who are knowledgeable about Savannah as well.

Reviewed 5 January 2016

I loved the (hipster) atmosphere, very trendy. Great branding, gorgeous space, every detail is covered on the design. The service was spotty, had a reservation, but had to wait about 15 minutes - the bar was slammed, couldn't get service, so grabbed a drink menu and waited in the lobby. Our server was really nice, but the guy who welcomed us was great with recommendations and even took our drink order because our server was busy. Drinks came in about 10 minutes, but I did get a craft cocktail. First course came in about 15 minutes. Our waiter informed us that firsts will take at least 15 mins and mains about 30 mins, so we ordered a couple firsts to share with the table. After 1 HOUR and 15 minutes, our firsts came out. It was DELICIOUS. Looked and tasted amazing (a pork belly dish, risotto, and collards). The wait was so unreasonable, we didn't order any more. I did notify management (it was 11PM by the time we finished apps), and he was very polite. They gave us a round a drinks and dessert on the house and all was forgiven. Seems like the service needs some work.

We also did get some oysters in the somewhere - very overpriced IMO.

Johno M, Owner at The Grey, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2016

Bethany,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share about your experience at The Grey. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and cocktails despite the long waits. I agree that 1 hour and 15 minutes is unreasonable and I sincerely apologize. It is our goal to provide the best service possible and I hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations. We appreciate the feedback and will use this as a teaching moment for our team.

Reviewed 4 January 2016 via mobile

The Grey has all the trappings of a modern restaurant; slick decor, ambitious menu, extensive and very expensive wine list, (but NO American wines)) and fully hipsterised staff.

I have to declare a bias at the outset - I loathe the hipster 'cult'. Each carefully manicured beard and moustache reminds us of the daily effort to achieve this preening, fake authenticity. The outcome is a self-congratulatory smugness which pervades everything they say and do. It also means you find yourself in an über-pretentious space where style trumps substance.

The owner, sporting a very fine square-cut, black beard which from a distance looked as if he were wearing a dead cat, swaggered slowly up and down a half-full dining room nodding serenely at people he knew, but ignoring everyone else. Good restaurant etiquette should encourage the host to engage briefly and warmly with all guests. Perhaps if I had had a beard he would have come closer and we could have investigated what might be living or trapped in each other's undergrowth.

But I digress. On New Year's Eve my friend and I sat at the bar for dinner. Thankfully our bartender had no beard and was very charming.

As it was New Year's Eve they offered a $95 fixed price menu. We had...

- cold cooked vegetables with a so-so vinaigrette
- good turtle, but over-salted, soup
- an 'intermezzo' of small cheesy scones
- a fillet of grilled fish, perfectly cooked on a bed of something unremembered
- slow-cooked beef (mine ok, my friend's too fatty to eat, served with that abomination known as kale
- dessert was a dull cake

As at was NYE I decided to order a not inexpensive Puligny-Montrachet (I think it was a Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet, can't remember which year). The best I can say of this wine is that it had not travelled well. What should have been an example of a great and elegant wine was thin and acidic. I'm surprised they thought it should be on their list. In fact It would be wise to check the provenance of the source.

We paid and left a very good tip. Only the receptionist thanked us and wished us a Happy New Year.

If you're in Savannah, walk don't run to experience The Grey, unless of course you have a fully-coutured beard.

4  Thank garybhowells