“Great place for a special occasion!”
Review of Alligator Soul

Alligator Soul
Reserve with OpenTable
Alligator Soul is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 939 Restaurants in Savannah
Price range: US$26 - US$88
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Broughton/State
Transit: There is bus transportation within and without the city limits and the guest would need to contact the City of Savannah for bus routes and schedules.
Description: Alligator Soul is the answer to the question, “Where is the best place to dine while in Savannah?” Located in Savannah’s Downtown District, on historic Telfair Square, Alligator Soul is an upscale, yet unpretentious, restaurant that is decidedly unique among fine dining in Savannah. Whether a longtime resident or first time visitor to Savannah, we offer you and your guests uncompromising quality in food, service and hospitality. Enjoy the distinctive Southern ambiance and regional cuisine with a French-Creole flair while dining below ground in the Colonial cellars. Alligator Soul is known for eclectic Southern dining with a seasonal menu that utilizes farm-fresh ingredients, local day boat fish and grass fed meat. Your full service experience begins with fresh cocktails and continues through the evening with in house made desserts. From all of us at Alligator Soul, we look forward to treating you as our honored guest from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave.
Reviewed 1 February 2017

Make sure you check out the restaurant website and take a few minutes to view the video about the restaurant and its relationship with local farmers and vendors. It speaks of the quality and dedication to good food and good relationships that is evident in every aspect of the Alligator Soul experience. From the special attention by staff members ..everyone knew we were there to celebrate my husband's birthday.. they even gave him a personalized gift box with mini deserts in it.. to the beautiful presentation on our plates.. the experience was personal and intimate. I had the scallops which were sweet and tender and served with tender greens... my husband had the bison short ribs which fell off the bone and served with greens and potato latke. Both were excellent. They have a lovely wine and bar selection and even the spirits are Organic. If you are looking for that special place for an intimate celebration, or just want to eat delicious, organic foods in a beautiful atmosphere... make reservations at Alligator Soul. Also a big thank you to Daniel our server!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,723)

Reviewed 31 January 2017 via mobile

Appetizers, Salads and Entree's were Excellent. The Creme Brûlée was a bad choice. The Custard was grayish brown and tasted funny. When I pointed this out to the waiter he told me that it was because of the Winter Spices. I should come back in the Spring to try it again. I will not. That killed a otherwise excellent experience.

Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

Wife and I stopped in on a Thursday evening when in Savannah for dinner....place has a great setting in the basement of the old post office building. Atmosphere was lively and the food was great. Only problem per the title of this post is the so-called "carving " board. This app is $25 dollars so you're thinking it's going to be special...unfortunately it was a big letdown. We opted to add the alligator sausage for an additional $13 bringing the cost to $38. Turns out the added alligator was the ONLY meat on the board, which was surprising to say the least. The rest of the board consisted of a very small sampling of cheese, bread and pickled vegetables. There was also bone marrow, which we each were able to get a tyneful from our fork, and that was it. Overall extremely disappointing. Probably have too high of expectations coming from the North and being used to Italian Antipastos loaded with meats and cheeses. Once again, everything we tasted was excellent just thought the carving board was a huge letdown...would definitely return.

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Another couple and my wife and I went to Alligator Soul for restaurant week. My wife and have been many times before but this was a first for our friends. Our table was waiting for us even though we were a little early. I wish I could remember the name of our server but I remember the general manager was Melvin. We had so many people help I just can't remember them all. My wife and our friends both paired wine with their meals and were given great advice by our server who even brought a sample of a couple of wines to see which they liked best. The appetizers were so good. Our friends both got the house salad which they both loved. My wife got the fried green tomatoes and I got the crab bisque. My bisque had lots of crab and was so creamy and delicious. My wife loves fried green tomatoes and thought these were excellent. Main course for me and my buddy were the beef tenderloin which was cooked to perfection and while I normally don't want any gravy with my steak the gravy here really complimented it. My wife got the pork tenderloin which was so good I almost wish I had gotten it. The 4th in our group got the gumbo which she gave a huge thumbs up to. Dessert was for me and my buddy was the triple chocolate tort and both ladies for the fried bananas with ice cream and cinnamon sugar coated wontons. This made for great sharing of desserts. Being a chocoholic I really loved the tort, it was rich and delicious. The fired bananas with ice cream was also excellent and everyone made it all disappear.
As for the service, you just couldn't ask for service any better. The attention we received was so good it became a topic of conversation for the four us at the table that it was the best service we had ever had at a restaurant. They really make you feel special and I have been to many restaurants but this was heads above the others. I can't wait to go back again

Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is located in a downstairs location. It is decorated very nice. It is appropriate for business dining or for couples dining. The menu has just enough choices, with some beef, seafood, etc. they also offer an exotic game dish each night. The wine menu is a bit pricey for the wines offered. The food quality was good. The service was attentive.