1,945 results
All reviews moon pie rc cola krispy kreme donuts retro feel retro motel free popcorn retro theme great retro greyhound station historic district fun place to stay within walking distance close to downtown road noise downtown savannah bed was comfortable river street
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

The "retro" Thunderbird Inn is quaint in theory, but it's really just an old motor lodge that has been somewhat remodeled but not enough. The hotel is located across from the Greyhound bus station in a not great area. It is also quite loud there, and the parking situation is not good. Spaces are too tight for an average size car, plus it's not the type of hotel that should be charging for parking in its own lot (7.50 per night). It's a very low budget hotel. It is also billed as downtown, but it is quite a walk from areas of interest. Bath tub looked dirty.

The staff are nice and helpful, the only major plus. The kitschy moon pies and RC colas are cute, and the Krispy Kremes for breakfast a novelty, but after the first day I would have preferred a standard continental breakfast, at least. Overall, I wish I had stayed elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2016
1  Thank ESCox
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

I'm sorry we weren't for you. Thank you for giving us a try. As far as the parking fee... We offer the best rates in the historic district. A lot of our guest don't travel with cars so we offer a great rate regardless if you have a car or not. It's part of being a great value in a cool package.

regards,

Mark

Reviewed 29 July 2016

Totally cool retro hotel with The Beatles and Elvis playing outside and in the lobby. The rooms were clean and comfortable - and well supplied with necessities and treats, like RC colas and moon pies :-) We didn't really care for the motion sensor light/fan in the bathroom. Helpful and friendly staff gave us a great recommendation for breakfast, while we enjoyed one of their Krispy Kream doughnuts. We did have to pay for parking, but you can leave your car there until 6pm, after you check out. Great atmosphere! We will definitely come back.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

The thunderbird bird is situated just a few hundred metres from the start of the historic area. The hotel itself appears to have had a make over and is now promoting eco sustainability. The rooms are spacious, but have little storage area, living out of your case is a given. The breakfast of doughnuts and coffee are good for a first thing in the morning. Parking is very ropey, as the parking spaces are unusually tiny. The parking you'll have to pay for separately to your room. Air con ok, hairdryer ok, bathroom ok. Our fridge didn't work, hey ho.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2016

This retro hotel had me from the minute I checked in. Having researched TA prior to booking I was not disappointed and one third the price of hotels in the same block. The music playing from the 60's really set the positive tone for me. The front desk staff were welcoming and always willing to help. Free Wifi, Krispy Keme donuts, moon pies on your pillows and RC cola. What more could you ask for. Housekeeping could use a boost in getting the rooms done, but still gave it 5 stars. I will be back.

Room Tip: No elevators
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank letscruise33914
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

Perfect location if you're interest in Savannah's night life (walking distance to River Street and Franklin Square)! The decor is retro and the rooms clean! I'm only giving it four starts because I didn't like that the sheets didn't seem fresh and inviting! The staff was friendly and helpful, and popcorn in their lobby was good!

• Stayed: April 2016