“Lunch at the River”

River House Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
River House Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 911 Restaurants in Savannah
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Experience genuine Savannah flavor while dining in an 1820's King Cotton Warehouse watching the merchant ships float by. Enjoy local favorites such as crispy scored flounder, shrimp & grits, filet mignon and fresh lobster. Save room for our signature desserts including praline cheesecake, pecan pie and bananas foster.
Reviewed 29 March 2017

We exited at one of the 15 stops on our trolley tour and decided to have a late lunch. After looking over several restaurants along the river, we decided on the River House. The interior was well appointed with a beautiful bar. I decided on the special of the day which was Grouper Florentine. This was served with a very light panko breading and included creamed spinach, roasted tomatoes and parmesan grits. I didn't think I was a grits fan but these were terrific. My wife had Cardina Rainbow Trout, crowned with sautéed crabmeat, fried capers in a white wine sauce on a bed of vegetables and creamy goat cheese risotto garnished with fried kale. Along with the meal we had a very nice Pinot Gris from Oregon. If this wasn't enough, we had pecan pie with caramel sauce and whipped cream. My wife said this was the best she had ever had.
All this was brought to us by our outstanding servers Niccolle and Caner. They were very attentive and made themselves available when ever we wanted them. Gladys, the manager even stopped by to make sure everything was perfect.

1  Thank Packers-forever
Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed 29 March 2017

Really enjoyed my first dinner of the week here!!! All I wanted was seafood and I got some great food here! The tilapia was flaky and I got a big piece. It wasn't too breaded. The risotto that came with it was wonderful as well.
My daughter had the crabcakes and they were very meaty...not much breading either-perfect!
I do suggest getting a reservation-we were there on a Tues night and it was crowded!!

Reviewed 26 March 2017

My dinner here with my son while on vacation, was one of the highlights of our entire trip. We visited Savannah the first week of January, and it just so happened to be the coldest part of the year anybody could visit Savannah, as it actually got down to the 20's.
The night we dined here, was the night the temperatures plummeted down to the 20's-30's.
That was to our favor, because the restaurant was pretty much deserted, but it made our experience amazing. Our waiter was Seth and he was great; attentive and not overbearing, knowledgeable and friendly.
The food itself was a delight and prepared perfectly.

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

This might be one of those places that you have to know what to order. I say this because parts of our dinner were great and others not so much. We decided to try this place after a show at the Savannah Music Festival. It was 10 o'clock and a lot of the restaurants on the waterfront were closed. The view is awesome. There are a few tables where you can sit outside. It's perfect to people watch, if you like that kind of thing. We wanted to eat light since it was late. My husband ordered the filet mignon sliders. He loved them. There were two of them and that was perfect for a late snack. I ordered the vegetable plate. It's nice to see a vegetable plate in a predominately meat place. There were a variety of choices. I chose Mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans and asparagus. The Mac & cheese wasn't really edible. The mashed potatoes were a little dry and possibly old. The green beans had nice onions and peppers with them which was nice but the beans themselves were so watery they didn't taste good. The asparagus was excellent! Maybe since it was late in the day the other veggies weren't that good. They also served us bread with two types of butter, regular and crab flavored. It was so good. There is a good selection of beers. I got a margarita which was very good. The service was good.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

Was looking for a place to take some out of town guests when I came across this establishment. Never been there before, but all the reviews looked favorable and decided to give it a try. Should've stuck with my old favs instead!

Reservation process was pretty straightforward. Arrived a few minutes before the allotted time. When the time arrived, my guests were a few minutes late, so I asked to be seated so that I could wait with a cool beverage. Well, that wasn't gonna happen. Was promptly told that at least half of the party had to be there to be seated. A good impression was NOT being made. Everyone arrived and we get seated. Service was reasonably prompt for a busy Saturday evening in Savannah. Food arrives with a little bit LESS prompt service. Quality and taste of the food was only so-so. Shrimp were on the dry side. Crab cakes were less than tasty. Shrimp and grits were average. Crawfish and shrimp etouffe was bland. Mashed potatoes were cool and heavy. Asparagus was dryish and tough. My filet mingnon was cooked well (rare). the sweet tea was good. The desserts were a good ending. The bill was $180 for four without booze!

Overall, 2.75 stars out of 5. Won't go back. MUCH better places to drop nearly $200. Sticking with my local favs from now on. I usually find a silver lining in all situations, but sorry, RH, I just can't this time. Up your game!