“Big Boy says “Must Try””

The Public Kitchen & Bar
Ranked #49 of 939 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

The Public Kitchen & Bar- Savannah, Georgia 4 Stars
This was the first stop on Big Boys northern Christmas adventure. Before eating we stopped at the Mercer House, Where Midnight In The Garden Of Good and Evil was based. Then we walked a luxurious mile to this incredible restaurant in the heart of Savannah.
The inside is small and on a Saturday at 3:00pm there was a line to get in. That gave me great home. This restaurant typifies the current food movement. Fresh original ingredients prepared with love and flawless execution.
The menu is not large but it is diverse. Catering to even the most discriminating palate. To start I order a High Fashioned. This was a traditional old fashioned with a twist. Top shelf whisky and premium bitters. This was an amazing refreshing drink. If we were not traveling I would have had several more, that is how awesome a cocktail it is. For my entree I requested a Public Burger with lamb. It is served medium with caramelized onions, mushrooms, provolone cheese and a sriracha aioli that literally knocks your socks off with flavor. The chef here obviously put great thought into something as simple as a burger. Three cheers and the Big Boy says, if you're in Savannah, Georgia try it!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Just back from an excellent supper at Public. Between the four of us (after sharing the crab starter) we had the lamb, wagyu burger, shrimp and grits, and salmon. All were very good indeed. Key lime pie shared for afters. Beers, ciders and wines all lovely too. Service exemplary (thanks, Greg). A memorable dinner for less than €150 so we’d recommend this place.

1  Thank Greg W
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Location, service, and environment all as good as ever.
The food was just not what it used to be. Among other dishes, we had the risotto, it was very plain and tasted more like can creamed corn than a developed risotto ... the packaged risotto at the grocery store is better.

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went to Public for drinks. Matthew was our bartender. His knowledge of drinks was unmatched. He recommended cocktails for me and my wife for hours on end, even suggesting things based on our personal taste. The best bartender that we’ve ever encountered. Thanks Matthew!

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

Good menu and great food!

Sad that service drops when you don’t have something from the bar! Sadly it
Happens too often!

The z was a good choice for dinner on a Wednesday night.