“Short and sweet one night stay”

Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel
Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Arlington, VA
“Short and sweet one night stay”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I ended up with this hotel after bidding on priceline for a Friday night stay. For the price I paid, I was very happy with the overall experience. My husband and I arrived in the late evening Friday night, and I'd read about the very expensive hotel parking. So we ended up going in a lot on the street behind the building and paying $19 for a day. I realize this wasn't drastically less than the hotel parking, but it was very convenient so I was happy to save a little money and walk the extra block.

The hotel is huge and takes up the whole block. We had an easy check in and were put on the 7th floor in a king bed room right next to the indoor pool. The room was very large and the bed was comfortable. The decor in the hotel and room was definitely dated, but this wasn't a problem for me as I was just looking for a comfortable place to spend the night. The only problem we encountered in our room was hearing very loud noises that sounded like plates and silverware banging righ toutside our door at 8:30 am. I'm not sure if there is some kind of kitchen right around that area but it was very loud. Luckily, I was already awake, but if it had woken me I would've been more upset.

I enjoyed being in a room next to the pool because it was convenient to take a swim, which I did in the morning. The indoor pool is small and a bit cold, but it wasn't crowded so I still enjoyed a swim. There is also a nice jucuzzi next to the pool and a small lounge area with comfortable chairs and tables.

The hotel is located one block from the harbor, right in the action of the downtown area. There were plenty of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance. My husband and I had breakfast at Miss Shirley's a few blocks away, which was excellent, and took a walk around the harbor because it was such a beautiful day. I think the hotel's location is perfect for tourists who want to experience Baltimore's main attractions.

Overall, I had a very enjoyable stay at the Renaissance and was pleased with the hotel as a priceline win. I previously stayed at the Marriott Waterfront on the other side of the harbor (also through Priceline) and I preferred the Renaissance. I would be happy to stay here again on a trip to Baltimore.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VAgirl505

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Woodbridge, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We had a very nice experience at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel. We found the lobby to be lovely and clean, and we had a quick, courteous check-in . We had a room with 2 doubles, and the room had a nice, big, immaculate bathroom and a flat screen TV as well as coffee maker. We booked using a AAA rate, which was half of the regular rate, and the rate included the breakfast buffet that would normally cost nearly $20 a person. It is a great buffet with lots of variety and an omelet/waffle bar. The hotel connects to a mall that, while it has some nice stores and a few fast food places (including McDonald's - parents, save yourselves that room service charge for someone who would rather be eating nuggets anyways!), transforms to a less family-friendly place after dark. You need a hotel key card to pass between the mall and hotel. The hotel is across the street from the inner harbor shops and attractions - you really don't need a car at all if you stay here - and, since parking is $28 for self-park - $40 for valet (consistent with other garages in this area), you better get your money's worth from that garage! We were in Baltimore for an event at the convention center which is an easy 3 or 4 block walk. The pool at the hotel is very small, but the pool lounge is very nice and comfortable with upscale furnishings and a large flat screen TV. The hotel employs a lifeguard, and she seemed very frazzled watching a pool full of kids - one night she closed down the pool 15 minutes early, yelling at everyone to "Get out - It's closed!" - I asked why she was closing early, and she said the pool was very dirty and needed chemicals. I'm not sure what difference 15 minutes would've made, but my kids enjoyed the pool several times, nonetheless, while I lounged nearby. I didn't hear any noise from the street as I had a courtyard view which was in the center of the hotel.
I look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tyrajama
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Very nice place. Would have loved to try to pool but didn't make it there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Soporifics
Rising Fawn, Georgia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

You are very close to a major hospital and ambulances scream by all night. Adjacent to a mall that we witnessed people screaming, cursing and acting totally crazy. Everything very expensive.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the harbor. Constant sirens and very noisey.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dawg099
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Big disappointment. My husband and I stayed here the weekend of 4/14 while visiting our college student. We usually stay at the Marriott Waterfront, but thought we'd try the Renaissance since this is the hotel recommended for us to stay during commencement weekend this May. I am so sorry that our reservations are here and now we are having difficulty getting a room any place else. Lobby was not clean and definitely not what I've found to expect at Renaissance properties. Even the checkin counter left alot to be desired. Then we get to our room which was OK, not really as clean as expected, carpet soiled, and towels were old and shredding. The Starbucks and cafe in the hotel was awful. Tables were dirty with crumbs, etc. from previous customers and overall appearance was not good. I am really hoping to get into another hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family