“Culinary Treasure”
Review of La Cuchara

La Cuchara
Reserve with OpenTable
La Cuchara is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 2,391 Restaurants in Baltimore
Description: Basque restaurant located in historic meadow mill. Daily changing menu, wood fired grill and pintxo bar.
Reviewed 25 March 2018

An absolutely brilliant restaurant with an astounding menu. The chefs and their staff create delectable masterpieces, and the on-site baked bread and cheese combinations are treats to more than the sense of taste.If that wasn't enough, the staff are expert on the menu, helping patrons navigate through the varied menu offerings, each one of which exclaiming, "Pick me, pick me!" The decor--reflecting the old Baltimore industrial area--is wonderfully updated, tastefully done and absolutely comfortable. Even the restrooms are notable. All in all, an exceptional establishment characterized by impressive service, culinary treasurers and memory-making enjoyment.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Second visit to La Cuchara with a less positive experience.

Menu: Tried the pinxto, small plates perhaps better to share with two but not four and felt the server could have advised such. Chorizo manchego was my favorite. I recalled a mushroom appetizer so I ordered the mushroom coca, quite a bit of greens. My husband had the patatas bravas. Duck breast magret and the lamb (three large pieces of meat) were delicious. Our friends selected two primeros which actually seemed like a good option for a lighter fare. Sommelier recommended a Spanish red wine --half price that Sunday evening--but price point much higher than warranted. Recommend you do your homework before selecting.

Service: Our server was very busy and more than once apologetic. Sommelier appeared after a long delay and a query from us.

Seated aside the bar at a table for four in a much noisier spot with a large group celebrating nearby. Good choice for an urban professional under 40.

Location: Difficult to find this restaurant but seems like staff just are accustomed to this with a bit of a "yes it is hard to find".

After this experience we are unlikely to return.

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

As someone who has lived in Spain on and off for 25 years I can state emphatically that out of 10 different dishes we sampled none were typical Spanish fare. The closest thing was the Jamòn Iberico.....50 grams of decent ham that was 50% fat (this should always be removed before serving) for $18-
Not only was the food not “Spanish” but it was not very good and sometimes downright unpleasant to the palate.
Then there were the wines...a decent selection but priced at least twice what they would have been elsewhere.
The space is a converted warehouse and done quite tastefully and there was a nice crowd of 40+ aged clients
Considering the rave reviews I can only surmise that the typical client here knows neither Spanish cuisine and in general does not have extensive experience on what good food truly can be
I would absolutely not return nor recommend this establishment unless your only motivation is to impress someone with how much money you can spend...and someone with an underdeveloped palate at that.

1  Thank Yohimberoot
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Spanish dining unadulterated by US palate. Selections of tapas and authentic Spanish fare using as many fresh local ingredients as possible. Variation in tasty breads. One of our go to places when visiting Baltimore

Reviewed 5 February 2018

My friends and I found ourselves at La Cuchara at 6pm on a Thursday evening to discuss our latest book club book. We had a reservation for a table, but since it was just 4 of us, and there was enough room at the bar (and the happy hour specials were only available at the bar), we decided to just remain at the bar for the evening.

Our bartender was extremely helpful in explaining the menu to me. I am not afraid to admit that I had no idea what anything was as the majority of the menu was in Spanish. Apparently the menu there changes very frequently so almost any time you go, you could get something new. I decided to go with a few of the appetizers for happy hour and I got a full meal, the Saffron rice with butternut squash, which was extremely delicious. It was also very large considering all of the appetizers that I had eaten. I took probably 90% of it home with me.

The restaurant décor is really upscale and I felt a little out of place when I first got there (can you say "a pig in silk socks?"). Everything just seemed so fancy. Everything that I got to eat was delicious. So if you're looking for something that just screams fancy but you don't necessarily want to pay that much money, I would highly recommend this place. Our bartender told us that bar space is usually very hard to come by Thursday - Saturday nights, so I wouldn't necessarily bet that you'd be able to snag a seat at the bar when you go. Definitely book a reservation on OpenTable and then if you want to sit at the bar and there's room when you get there, just let the host know.

Would definitely love to come back again!