“Seafood Chowder and Much More!”

Mama's on the Half Shell
Ranked #19 of 2,055 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$12 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, View, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canton
Description: In 2003, we opened Mama's on the Half Shell. Our opening day was the realization of five years of dreaming, discussing and collecting. As native "Baltimoreans," we felt Baltimore lacked a real seafood restaurant. Because of our love for the restaurant business, our favorite pastime is to dine out, but we struggled to find the real taste of Baltimore seafood. We missed the classics, the ones that we could count on as kids, such as Connely's & Hausner's, the one we would visit with friends from out of town who say "take us to a real Baltimore seafood house." We missed that and wanted to bring it back. That's why we created Mama's on the Half Shell. Our menu is the most important part of our restaurant, but we also want our guests to come in and feel comfortable for any occasion: bringing in a client, Sunday football, a birthday, anniversary or just some time out. It's a great place to visit after a day on the water and it's also remembered by some as the place where they got engaged. Our restaurant is a place that you could "bring it or bring it down." There is really no average age at Mama's on the Half Shell which leads us to believe this truly is a Baltimore classic for food and celebration. For a good start to a classic Baltimore meal at Mama's, order a fried crab cake with mustard and our famous Orange Crush. Have a seat at the raw bar and just drift back into your best Baltimore memory, hon! It is our hope that when you are with us you feel you are welcomed into our home with open arms.
Reviewed 24 June 2016 via mobile

My Boyfriend and I visited Mama's on the Half Shell after a long day visit to our family members from New York on June 22nd. This was our first time dining at Mama's and so, we ordered all dishes we felt comfortable ordering as seafood Lovers. We both ordered the seafood Chowder, which both lit our eyes up. It may have been very close to the best seafood Chowder we both have experienced.

The entrees were as expected, we definitely cannot complain (although we are both picky as far as gastronomy goes) I ordered a Cajun seafood and chicken gumbo, while my boyfriend(the crab cake lover) ordered the double crab cakes.

I will say Mama's is a bit pricey, however you won't regret dining here!

There are newer reviews for Mama's on the Half Shell

Reviewed 9 June 2016

I went there to have dinner with my family, because my grandson and his girlfriend had come to visit. The young lady was from California and never had the Maryland seafood. She ordered a lobster sandwich. She didn't like it and we tried to get something else in it's place. The manager was called and he said they don't replace anything no matter the reason. Several people had tried it as well and were told No. I have never been to any restaurant that wouldn't take the hit in order to have a returning customer. This place is not cheap. He even stood in front of us to be sure I guess that we didn't leave without paying. Food was good and shrimp pizza was the best. Would have definitely gone again if that had not happen to us.

4  Thank lady65_12
Reviewed 8 June 2016 via mobile

I have been looking forward to this restaurant for sometime with its excellent ratings--and now that I have been, I feel underwhelmed.

Overall everything was good, but not really "out-of-this-world". Maybe we didn't order the best that this restaurant has to offer?

A friend had the fried fish and the presentation was not the best--it was huge and awkward to eat. I had the seafood melt but didn't like the amount of cheese (otherwise tasty, but greasy in part from the cheese). The two better sandwiches in our group were the Salmon BLT (reportedly "awesome") and the Club sandwich with crab. I had also tried a new crush--cucumber lemonade flavor. It was so-so, not really excellent but not terrible either.

On the bright side, I really did enjoy our crab dip appetizer (finally a place that gives you sufficient crackers to dip with!) and I loved that it came in a bread bowl.

Kitchen was slow for 2pm, but our server was very sweet and helpful.

Reviewed 5 June 2016 via mobile

Spent a few hours here prior to the game on Saturday. Love everything about the place. The food is terrific, the grapefruit and orange crushes delicious. The bartenders? Awesome!

Reviewed 5 June 2016

I went to this restaurant after seeing this trip advisor review. I had family visiting the area who wanted seafood so I figured I would give the a shot. Good idea! I was tempted to try the Seafood club sandwich which was huge (a family member got it). but went for the Classic Combo platter. It was delicious and the portion size was large. The fish was a little bland though. The Bellini Crush was also good. We went on a Friday night so parking was hard to find but overall it was a good meal.