“Great outdoor seating area”
Review of Gertrude's

Gertrude's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gertrude's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 2,420 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N. Charles St.
Reviewed 18 August 2017

This is a very nice restaurant at the art museum. It has a very nice outdoor seating area where you can even have a small walk in the sculpture garden and water fountains. I ordered the soft shell crab sandwich. It was excellent with a side of clam chowder. The prices were reasonable. Definitely recommend this place if you are at John Hopkins.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Start with brunch and then visit the museum. You need to enter the museum to get to the restaurant. The museum is free and parking was $7. I recommend eating outside as they have tents and the patio is pretty. They give you tasty corn bread and biscuits when you arrive. The cream of crab soup and cappuccino were delicious. The Gutman Avenue entree was good, but I found it too heavy and seasoned to be the first thing I eat in the day. The stuffed french toasts were a little dry, but the rest of our guests enjoyed their drinks and meals. They ordered sangria, lavender hibiscus soda, crab omelette, and buttermilk waffles.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

My sister, two teenage grandsons and I made a special visit to Gertrude's for lunch. I was disappointed. It admittedly has been a few years since I last visited but neither the food nor the service lived up to my memories. The ambience is quite lovely - white tablecloths and small vases of live flowers on the tables. The music was pleasant soft jazz - not live and not loud today as others have reported. The restaurant was only half full; however, ervice was extremely slow. We were given water immediately but the waiter did not return for drink and appetizer orders for 12-15 minutes. The bread provided was tasty - focaccio "light" and small corn muffins. The corn chicken fritter tasted like a fritter but without benefit of either chicken or corn in the mix. Very bland. I did enjoy the cream of crab soup - plenty of crab meat, the soup had a nice consistency and just the right amount, a splash, of sherry. The Maryland crab soup was just not up to Eastern Shore standards. My sister enjoyed the vegetable platter served to her. The two of us who ate the pulled pork said we wouldn't bother ordering it again both declaring it OK. The desserts we ordered - pineapple upside down cake and a nutty buddy were the meal highlight. Total with tax but no tip was $111. For this we received: four non-alcoholic beverages, one appetizer, two soups (one cup and one bowl which served as grandson's entree), three luncheon entrees and two desserts. I would stop in, with lower expectations, for a limited lunch if visiting the museum; however, I would not make a special visit.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

A Baltimore friend recommended Gertrude's and he was "on the money". Our server was delightful, the ambiance of the restaurant was good and the food was delicious.My son and I started with a cup of she crab soup with sherry which was wonderful. I had the chicken salad sandwich and my son had the shrimp po' boy both stuffed generously on large rolls. Both were great. We were raving about our meals the rest of the day.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

I've tried numerous crab cakes and without thinking twice, I'd tell you that Gertrude's are among the best. Their crab cakes are full of true crab meat and exquisitely seasoned. You won't regret about trying them!
However, I cannot say the same about their steak. My husband ordered his steak medium, but it was dry. He was not completely disappointed with his meal because his side dishes were good, but (considering the prices) he was expecting a much better steak. When we go back, we'll forgo the steak and get crab cakes or try something else.

Gertie S, Guest Relations Manager at Gertrude's, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Angelica, thanks for your kind words about our Crabcakes. We are proud of them but we're distressed to hear that your steak wasn't perfect. By all means, please always tell your server when something isn't completely to your expectations and we'll make it right. If you'll send your email address to gertie@johnshields.com we'd like to send you a little something to show our appreciation for your patronage....and to let us make it up to you.
Thank you again for letting us serve you.

Gertie