“Sparse, really weird, very annoying, and just plain stupid...”

Inn at The Black Olive
Ranked #44 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 12 December 2016

My impression is that this hotel was opened as a way to make $ off of unwanted apartments. The room I stayed in had open plumbing in the bathroom (floor & wall) where it appears that a washer & dryer combo was once planned, years ago. There are hardly any fixtures or decor within the enormous space. There are motion sensors for everything! So God help you if you move around in your sleep because the motion sensors which are meant to save energy will trigger the lamps in the bedroom and you'll think you're being visited by aliens. This happened about 5 times throughout the night. Oh, and the heat, or lack there of... There's a fancy digital thermostat which controls absolutely nothing. They must override the system to be 'green' and save energy. My room didn't make it over 67 the entire time I was there.

It seems that someone built a parking garage with apartments as an afterthought, with hotel rooms an even further afterthought. They pride themselves as being 'green' but letting guests walk on concrete floors is just cheap and sad. So, if you fancy sleeping in a parking garage with hardly any furniture, cracked floors, peeling paint, no tv or radio in your bedroom, and hate any type of decor, then this is definitely the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
8  Thank pschneid221

Reviewed 6 October 2016

The first time I stayed at the Black Olive was this past July. My boyfriend stayed here our anniversary weekend and absolutely loved it. The Inn has a homey feel and seems more like an apartment than a hotel. There is tons of space in the room, comfortable bed, and great Jacuzzi tub. The downtown area of Fells Point is a short walk around the corner and the Inner Harbor area is also a walking distance away.

The second time I stayed at the Black Olive was this past weekend for a bachelorette party. The manager, Rhico, was very friendly, personable, and helpful to make this the perfect place to stay for our group. I would highly recommend staying here when in Baltimore. The area is safe and beautiful with lots to do. This will be our weekend getaway spot in the future!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank shannagiedl
Rhico M, Front Office Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2016

Greetings shannagiedl,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience with us. We are honored that you can call The Inn at the Black Olive your home away from home when visiting Baltimore city. More importantly, we are looking forward to having your next batch of awesome people for your next visit. Like always if you need anything please feel free to reach out as we are dedicated to putting smiles on our beloved guest's faces. Cheers to many more experiences in the near future!

Reviewed 4 October 2016

So I will be honest up front, the last time we stayed here was four years ago. Our first visit made such an impact us on, that it was a given that we wanted to stay here again. It was that perfect get away for my husband and I. First time, we had the corner suite with balcony seating. We had a bottle of wine, bottled water in our room as well as spa products. Breakfast was available as well. Free wifi...the gorgeous green glass and the city view. Not to mention right next to Fell's Point. The building was full of artwork and unique decor. Well, this visit it was empty and cold feeling. Not to mention, the restaurant was closed (don't know if it was permanently or temporary). So, no breakfast. We did have 2 bottles of water in our mini fridge and some general hygiene products. (The ad in bathroom suggested they were luxury products). The walls were almost empty...hooks where pictures use to be. The washer/dryer removed and replaced with 12x12 basket for a 4 ft. space. Connections sticking out from the wall. My husband and I tried to connect to wifi multiple times...on 4 different devices and it was either disconnecting after a few minutes or so slow it would freeze. Thank God I had a data stash with my cell company. And the "state of the art" TV's...tried to adjust the picture so it wasn't in crop format. Every show we could watch...the heads were cropped off. Not to mention between the poor wifi and tv, we couldn't use our chromecast. We had also bought snacks from 7-11 in Fell's Point. Stored them on the counter. They were opened to eat from...closed back up. The next morning we find ants EVERYWHERE. We spoke so highly of this place to family and friends on our first visit. Can't say the same now. We were in town for the football game and have stayed for 2 nights both visits. It was such a beautiful place to stay. I will say, the front desk staff...every single one of them, were friendly and accomodating. There is no issue there. Even housekeeping. I hope there are renovations coming up soon...and the wifi issue is fixed. Next time we visit we will be looking elsewhere though. It is upsetting because we really loved our first stay. If the Inn has transferred to new ownership or management, I would suggest closing until the renovations or accomodations can be upheld. To be fair, the website does state what is there, but it's still feeling empty. And the website could state the restaurant isn't open...I even went another step to look into it and the restaurant is still allowing people to reserve tables even thought it is closed. I also understand the restaurant isn't affiliated with the Inn...but it's just another part of the whole experience and would've been nice to know before we booked our room. Also, what I don't get is in our welcome letter it was really stressed that we leave a great review on tripadvisor. I wish I would've taken a picture of our welcome letter to post here to show that. Trip advisor provides stickers and advertisement to promote affilliation. A simple "Rate us on Tripadvisor" would've been enough. Just be wary before you book your room. Don't expect all the amenities that other places may offer. The rooms are spacious and its an experience being there with the organic features, but overall, just an empty feeling.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nicole B
Reviewed 2 September 2016

There are really not enough words to explain how much I love this place. I stayed there to celebrate my 44th birthday walking around Harbor East and Fells Point, sipping wine, and reading. Everything was perfect - from the complimentary Baltimore-themed gift I received, to a well-appointed, clean, comfortable and spacious suite. The Inn is close to pretty much everything, but has the feel of being a (really nice) cozy neighborhood apartment building. Even the people we met checking in and out were great. The best thing about this property, however, is Rhico. He was the front desk manager when we arrived. He is one of the friendliest people we have ever encountered at the front desk ANYWHERE! He fully explained the amenities of the Inn, he chatted with our kids, and there was a true genuinity to his welcoming spirit. This property is truly fortunate to have him. I will make an annual pilgrimage to this place to escape the hustle and bustle of life for one day (maybe more next time).

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Jennifer C

Greetings Jennifer C.,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to enjoy some rest and relaxation with us. We are certainly looking forward to your next visit as we aim to maintain the consistency each and every time. So what does that mean? It means your lovely and spacious suite will be waiting for you along side your personal Baltimore-themed welcome gift. V.I.P. treatment is a must for our very important guest. Whenever you're ready to take some time off once again, we will be here with open arms.

Reviewed 22 August 2016

"Don't believe everything you read...." - Your grandmother; "...except for this review." - Me

You're going to find reviews on here that say how "...the walls were different colors." And other criticisms of that sort. That paints (no pun intended) a picture that this place is a slum- DON'T BELIEVE THAT FOR ONE SECOND! This inn is exactly what it says it is; a unique eco-friendly place to stay. Obviously trip advisor's "resident interior designer" is wholly unable to appreciate a unique, yet beautiful and pristine, inn. Clearly, we're dealing with a keyboard warrior who saved up for months so he/she could play richie-rich for a weekend. This place is FANTASTIC. It's cute, fun, clean, comfortable, and has a very modern, artsy feel. I live less than an hour away and am SO ready for our second stay-cation here. And no, it's really not that expensive for a hotel in the balt/washington area. I think you get more than you pay for.

Room Tip: Upgrade: the price isn't that much of a difference. Just do it; don't be a wuss.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple