“Diamond in the rough”

Inn at The Black Olive
Ranked #45 of 67 Hotels in Baltimore
Reviewed 16 February 2016

I stayed here two weeks ago on business. It is a fantastic place. The Management is awesome as the hotel is. The suite was just fantastic. I could not have asked for more.Great location as well as price and a move star owns it.

Just awesome.

See you next week.

Jeffrey

Room Tip: Great suites I had a spa suite its awesome
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Hogan2013
Tiffany M, General Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2016

Jeffrey,

You are so kind! I realized when reviewing older reviews my original response to you did not publish. I am not sure if you remember me mentioning the upcoming "suite refresh/redesign" I had mentioned previously however we are due to begin the process this month! I am thrilled for you to return and enjoy the outcome! TMurphy@marshallhotels.com Please feel free to contact me directly for a future reservation!

Reviewed 16 February 2016

Had a great stay at this hotel over Valentines day weekend. They have nice clean rooms with a very friendly and eager staff. They were glad to help us with every need and question we had. Great location in the city.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cari R
Tiffany M, General Manager at Inn at The Black Olive, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2016

Cari,

We are thrilled you enjoyed celebrating Valentines day weekend at the Inn! We are truly grateful to be able to offer such accommodating suites, I will make sure to pass along Kudos to the Housekeeping Team! We look forward to having you return on your next trip to Baltimore/Fells Point!

Reviewed 16 February 2016 via mobile

Very nice hotel with great staff. We checked in over Valentine's Day weekend and was surprised by how well we were treated. Found nice gifts in our room to help us celebrate the holiday. Will definitely be going back to this hotel in the future.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John M

John,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences for other travelers! The staff truly enjoys connecting with the guest beyond your traditional service level to ensure we provide the most personal touches, especially on such an important Holiday! We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 15 February 2016

The only good thing about the hotel is the location. When you walk in, you walk into a tiny reception desk with a young kid attending the desk, no real lobby or reception area, it looks under construction and the construction isn't advertised anywhere. The reception area was also freezing, no heat.The room was strange, peeling paint, drywall patches, things falling off the walls, a control room, unlocked and right in the middle of our room, and concrete floors with beat up oriental rugs on them. We live just outside of Baltimore, so we went for the ammenities, the corner spa suite. The room was too hot and the thermostats didn't work. There was a note on the thermostat that said to call reception if the temperature wasn't adjusting, but the phone in the room didn't work, we opened the door and we were going to take a bath in the jacuzzi, however the water was murky brown. The water color was a result of local construction, but a warning would have been nice. We walked down to the desk to explain the problems to the kid at reception, he was very nice, but said there was nothing he could do about the temperature, the phone, or the tub and couldn't move our room because they were booked. He said his manager, Tiffany, would be in in the morning and we should speak to her for a resolution. The water stayed brown all night, so much for a spa get away. The hotel is very noisy, not much sleep was had you can hear everything in the suite above you.

In the morning the water was clear, so we drew the bath, surprise, the jacuzzi tub did not even work. We got ready to check out and speak to the manager. When we got to the desk to check out we were told the manager was not there and was out and unavailable all weekend. How can you have a hotel with one staff member and no manager open on a holiday weekend? We left messages for the manager to call and called again the next day, but haven't heard a thing. It's a shame, it's in a nice location, but everything else was a terrible waste. Hopefully the hotel gets remodeled and it's much better, don't stay there until that happens, avoid it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsReinhardt
Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to take an impromptu trip to Baltimore over a weekend in January. We called around to different hotels and came across the Black Olive. All of the pictures online looked great so we thought it would be a good option. When we called we were informed that the hotel was full but then got a call back saying a room opened up and the manager told us the price for the room, which was higher than we found online. Due to the great location we decided to book it. When we arrived, we walked into a tiny lobby with only a desk for the receptionist. No restaurant or lounge as pictured on their website. When we entered our room it felt like we walked into a sauna. It was extremely hot and the temperature read 78 degrees. You were unable to adjust your temperature in your room on your own and a note said to call the front desk. However, we were unable to do that because our phone did not work the entire stay. Even after letting staff know, nothing was done with the unusable telephone. We walked downstairs to let the receptionist know and she said she would turn down the temperature. Because it was unbearable to stay in our room, we went out to walk around the city for a few hours. When we returned the temperature had only gone down a few degrees so we had to open the balcony door in order to even relax in the room. After walking around for awhile we just wanted to relax on the couch and watch some tv, however our tv of course did not work. We also let staff know of this issue although nothing was ever done. The next morning I wanted to take a relaxing bath in the jacuzzi tub after a horrible, hot night. As I was in the bath, pieces from the jets fell off and as I went to drain the tub it would not drain. So again I had to walk downstairs to let the staff know because our phone still didn't work. It was a relief to checkout that morning and leave the hotel. We let the young gentleman at the front desk know about all of our issues and we received a "sorry". Throughout our stay my boyfriend was in contact with the manager, Tiffany, letting her know our issues. She let us know she would take care of the heating issue. However, when we checked out and had already paid for the night we sent her an email letting her know we were disappointed with our stay. No email or contact was ever received back. This whole experience was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. The service, accommodations, and all of the issues we had throughout our stay was unacceptable. I will not return to this hotel. It receives one star for the location.

Stayed: January 2016
3  Thank Sc1681

Sc1681,

Due to the username I am unable to locate a guest name or reservation in order to look into your concern however I can assure you guest concerns are at my highest priority. Although I am not sure which means of communication I corresponded with your husband during your stay, I am not aware of any outstanding guest concerns. My direct number is 443-844-3506, please know we are committed to an overall outstanding guest experience and are confident we can regain your loyalty in a return stay!