“Great potential, sketchy execution” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Pier 5 Hotel
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Baltimore
Los Angeles, California
“Great potential, sketchy execution”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

This is a nice hotel in a great location, you can walk to restaurants, attractions, etc. But in a 2 day stay they botched twice and that's not good. The first one was my coming back in the evening to find that my room's door had been left open -- not latched or even fully closed -- by the staff. Lucky that nothing happened. The second gaffe was inexcusable -- they completely forgot the wake up call that I called in (not programmed in) from my room. The next morning I had a 9AM event downstairs in the meeting rooms, and next thing I know I'm waking up at 8:40. I was livid, they offered to forego some minor fees and a room service breakfast, but the whole reason I had come to this trip was now in jeopardy. Fastest shower/shave ever, I made it, but it really made a bad start to an important day. Friendly, helpful staff, and I'd give this hotel one more chance, but that's it.

Room Tip: Note -- the "business center" consists of a single PC that doesn't have MS Office on i...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank delanor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Clinton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Love the location. Great place to stay, the staff is amazing. Easy to go out at night, awesome restaurants in the hotel. They just finished the new lobby when I was here, it looks great!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

Great location with extremely friendly service!

We always bank on tripadvisor reviews to help us make choices on where to go, what to see, and how we will be treated as a guests. My family (5 adults & 1 child under 10), instead of giving gifts, travels to an exciting place each year and this year we decided on Baltimore. We found this Groupon for the Pier 5 Hotel and it was quite a snatch.

The important stuff:
-The rooms were clean and very spacious with flat screens. (Our one and only complaint was that the TV guide system they use to navigate through the channels is very slow and you can't just use the 'up and down' buttons on the remote to change the channel.)
-We were surprised that the continental breakfast was included it was that good...healthy options, and the spread was beautiful. A waitstaff person was on hand to take plates and be of service if needed. Coffee was delicious.
-Location: FABULOUS! This city is extremely walkable, and the hotel is positioned in a wonderful spot on the harbor: right in between all the local attractions (Aquarium, Power Plant Live!) and Little Italy/Fells Point.
-The general manager of the hotel was very nice and also very knowledgable about the city, recommending some great places.
-They do a "Crabby Hour" on the weekdays between 5:30-6:30, where they teach you how to make crab dip or crabby crepes and you can enjoy great local beer. They even have crab hats you can wear. Was a great experience for our 7 yr old.

Overall, we had an amazing experience together as a family. The American Visionary Arts Museum is an ABSOLUTE must-see! The Aquarium is a no-brainer -- such interesting exhibits. And the shopping and dining at Fell's Point (just down a few blocks from the hotel) is amazing.

Thanks for a great experience at your hotel! We'll DEFINITELY be back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Elkton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Pier V for only one night and I'm still wishing that we were still there. We came in late, using the parking garage as opposed to the valet (only because I'm directionally challenged and found the parking garage first) and left not long after their wonderful continental breakfast so our experience was brief but memorable. Our room was beautiful and clean and our balcony was even pleasant despite the cold winter weather. We were greeted at the door by polite staff who welcomed us, offered to help with our bags, and showed us to the front desk, where once again we were greeted by wonderful folks who offered suggestions for our short stay in Baltimore. The following morning we enjoyed a quiet breakfast in the lobby where we again had delightful conversation with the hotel staff about local attractions and dining experiences. The folks helping with breakfast were very kind and pleasant despite being so busy catering to all of us (that selection was perfect by the way, and everything tasted great!). I was sad to check out, especially without personally thanking Bryce, our hotel magic specialist, who emailed me throughout the week prior to my stay about different options and ideas for our trip. We rarely visited Baltimore in the past, but after this experience we're both very much looking forward to our next stay at this wonderful hotel with all of the delightful staff. In fact, the baseball season will be starting soon and I have a feeling I'll be enjoying the Pier V accomodations a lot this season. My only regret is that I didn't get everyone's name before I left so that I could thank them in this review. Thank you again Pier V, I hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony view of the harbor. Even if you've spent your life on the harbor...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

My husband and Ifirst came to the Pier 5 Hotel 3 years ago for our anniversary. We liked it so much we came back last weekend. It was even better than we remembered. The staff was so helpful and friendly. We were very pleased with everything from the valet to the cleanliness of the room. The front desk staff was awesome. I believe it was Kevin and Greg that helped when we checked in. The location to many great places to dine was a bonus for us. We went to the aquarium which was just across the pier from us. We also had a fantastic dinner at McCormick and Schmicks which was located right in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple