“Crabs as sweet as candy”
Review of Nick's Fish House

Nick's Fish House
Ranked #10 of 2,054 Restaurants in Baltimore
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 21 February 2017

I wanted to look for a local seafood joint that was not located in the Harbor. Some place where the locals would go. After some research I found Nicks's Fish House.

The restaurant is located in an obscure area by the waterside just off of 95. It's a very industrial area. I noticed the Baltimore Sun and Under Armour headquarters were nearby. It's about a 5-10 minute drive from the harbor depending if you took the highway or local streets. Not very far at all.

Nick's is a great seafood restaurant located right on the water. It is definitely a spot where locals go. There is an indoor portion with full bar and a outdoor seating with picnic tables, full bar and bandstand. All offering views of the water. Luckily the day we went it was very mild so were able to sit outside. The area had heavy vinyl curtains to keep it warm with overhead heating lamps. Man were those hot! We had to ask to turn ours off.

Service was incredible here! From the hostess, to the waitress and even the food runner. They were very helpful and were always able to accommodate anything we needed.

We ordered half a dozen large crabs, mussels in chipotle lime sauce, a dozen local oysters ($1 each!) and kids chicken tenders. The chipotle lime sauce the mussels were served in were so delicious that they deserved an extra serving of the grilled garlic bread. The local oysters were succulent and not sandy or briny. Served with a cocktail sauce and horseradish. The chicken tenders were typical. Kids liked it. And now...the crabs. First let me start off by saying that that I normally never order crabs anymore because I always thought it was too much trouble for so little reward. Well, Nick's changed me. These crabs were so fresh and meaty. You only had to bang them once with hammer and the meat came pouring out. The old bay seasoning they used was not over done. It seems they steam crabs first and toss them in the seasoning so the meat is not overpowered by the old bay. Incredibly sweet.

I almost forgot. I had the house Bloody Mary. Very good. You have the option of making your own at their Bloody Mary station which is stocked with over 50 mixes. I'm no mixologist so I left it to the resident expert.

Nick's is a great place to go away from the touristy harbor. The food and service was great and very family friendly. We can't wait to go back when the weather is warmer and they have live bands on the deck.

1  Thank Tony P
There are newer reviews for Nick's Fish House

Reviewed 20 February 2017

Had lunch and ordered a lobster roll. Sweet potato fries are not on the menu but they have them. Order them as they are great. It was warm enough to sit on the deck... Service is good. Views are of the piers and water. Good place.

Reviewed 13 February 2017

For several years we lived within a mile from Nick's and passed their easy-to-see sign on the Hanover Street Bridge (Rt 2) going into Federal Hill, Baltimore. Finally, a year ago we decided to try it out, and were very glad that we did! They have excellent seafood, a full menu with lots to choose from, and their fruit crushes are to die for! My favorite was the grapefruit crush, yum! They have a large outdoor deck overlooking a marina and the Hanover St Bridge sometimes with live music, a wonderful experience on a warm spring evening. The service was always prompt and friendly. Nick's can get pretty crowded on a popular night and time (i.e., Friday night Happy Hour), it's easily accessible for the young professionals in Federal Hill, but it holds a lot of people between the deck and indoors. If you decided to stop by, you won't regret it!

1  Thank Toby F
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Went to Nick's with a work colleague who is a local. He told me the food was delicious and that I would never taste crab cakes like these anywhere else. He was right! You have to try them! You won't be sorry!

1  Thank Kelly P
Reviewed 5 February 2017

We went to Nick's last night since we were in the area. At 6:00 PM when we arrived it was busy despite the very popular deck being closed off. The wait was not to bad at 20 minutes to be seated. The server assigned to us was very busy, I was impressed that another server jumped right into it to back her up. Both were very, very nice and hustled. We ordered our drinks, they came right away. We ordered our meals and the timing was great. First out was the oysters, a dozen Chesapeake Bay Oysters at a special price of $1 each. Really great deal. I had a cup of the cream of crab soup, nice portion of crab meat with a creamy base. My daughter had the ahi tuna appetizer and loved it. For dinner I had the Yellowfin Tuna Dinner. It came with a large piece of Tuna on mashed potatoes with Brocolli. The Tuna was great, the mashed potatoes could have been a little creamier, they were pretty heavy but tasted great. My wife had mussels in Chipotle Sauce she loved and my daughter had a great salad. We were very happy with the meal, the service as usual was great and the price reasonable. We will be going back.

Been to Nick's Fish House? Share your experiences!