“Check the room first!”

Ranked #35 of 132 Hotels in Jacksonville
Sayre, PA
“Check the room first!”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

When we opened the door to our room on the fifth floor, we were immediately assailed with the odor of smoke coupled with disinfectant. It was obvious this had been a smoking room but now that all rooms are non-smoking, there was an unsuccessful attempt to erase any vestiges of smoke. My eyes were burning and my sinuses filled with the bad odor so we insisted on a different room. Unfortunately, it was an outside entrance on the second floor with no elevator and very inconvenient but did not smell like the prior room. Suggestion: Do not stay on the 5th floor if you are a non-smoker! The lobby is huge and very chilly on cold evenings but very nicely appointed. The dining is somewhat limited and pricey but the food they do offer was very good.

Room Tip: Do not choose the 5th floor if smoking bothers you!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
CrownePlazaJAX, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
We received your response today detailing the experience with the smoke smell in your room. I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel staff. We understand your disappointment and appreciate the inconvenience this must have caused you.

The 5th floor is a smoking floor and we utilize those rooms due to a sold out situation. Your stay must have been over the dates we had a large goup in the hotel which sold us out of non-smoking rooms. We did contract an outside company to assist us in detoxing those rooms prior to the groups arrival, however as you indicated "an unsuccessful attempt to erase any vestiges of smoke."

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused as a result.

Mark Kane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 January 2012

As A Platinum IHG member for 5 years this is the first time I had to write a negative review for one of there properties. Upon check in the front desk people acted is if I disrupted there gossip time I get better service and help with my questions at the Best Western in the UP. The previous night I called in my reservation since I was using a corporate rate, when I checked in the girl said they could not do the rate I was told and charged me with a rate almost $30 more. The shower also had soap residue on the soap holder in the shower. There was no water from 3pm to 6pm, the girl said it was due to the city shutting the water down for work. The fact was the plumbers were outside my room fixing a leaky pipe which is no big deal except she lied. Overall a decent room just poor service probably the worst I have seen after 130 nights on the road last year alone, On top of all this they did not give me any points for my stay. So the next time if I have the option of this Crowne Plaza or Motel 6 I am going for Motel 6.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank HankTheDog1
CrownePlazaJAX, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
It is with great regret and concern that we received your comments detailing the few mishaps that you experienced with our service. I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire hotel staff. We understand your disappointment and appreciate the inconvenience this must have caused you.

There is no question that the service did not meet the very high standards our customers have come to expect and should continue to demand. In our effort to improve the overall quality of our service, I have met with the immediate department heads and can assure you that we have addressed each issue with our staff members.

I can promise you that the highest quality standards will be met in the future because protecting our reputation in the market is a key priority for us. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience caused as a result.

If I can be of further assistance, do not hesitate to call.

milford de
Reviewed 28 January 2012

As a million pts ,member of Holiday inn travel pts. program i have my faves for Holiday inn crown plaza hotels.This is one of my favorites of all properties.
The rooms are very comfortable and you will want to sleep in . If you are traveling 1-95
this is the perfect stop off location. restaurants close by and LOTS of open parking and safe.
The rates are very reasonable. Staff if excellent GOOD JOB.
Only negative is the bar.You will will not get a good a value in this lounge.
10oz beers and pricey.

Room Tip: Shop rates to save some money
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
CrownePlazaJAX, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Jacksonville Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
We appreciate your comments and we take great pride in our hotel. The location is exactly how you described it, off I95, restaurants close by and LOTS of open parking and safe.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your next visit.

Lebanon, Ohio
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights after Christmas. The staff was excellent, immediately locating us to another room, when realized he had put us right by the elevator. No hair blower, but housekeeping brought us one immediately. Beds comfortable, room clean. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel and staff. I am glad to hear that our staff took care of the incidental issues you experienced during your stay with us.

We appreicate your input and look forward to your next visit.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Hotel looks nice and staff is nice BUT, they have Bed Bugs!!! We checked into the hotel (room 1015) on Dec. 28th, 2011. After being in the room for about 3 hours (the kids were already asleep) I saw something move across the white pillow case. I caught it with a bathroom glass and took it down to the front desk since it matched a picture on google. The night manager confirmed that it was a Bed Bug, gave us this speach about how they only get 5 or 6 cases/year, yada, yada, yada. He tried to tell me that the bugs don't travel from room to room but everything I've read online indicates that they can. We went back to pack up our stuff, turned down the bed, and found 3 more bugs. The night manager moved us to another room but I was completely disgusted. Do NOT stay here!

Room Tip: Don't...they have Bed Bugs!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Danielle S
On behalf of Crowne Plaza – Jacksonville Airport, please allow me to reach out to you regarding your stay at our property. We take every report of bed bugs very seriously. Once we learned of your concerns, we immediately removed the room from service and contacted a nationally recognized pest control expert to conduct a thorough examination of your guestroom. In addition to our housekeepers’ efforts, the hotel spends thousands of dollars each year with a pest control company that inspects and does preventive maintenance in our hotel and all guest rooms on a weekly basis.

The safety of our guests and the cleanliness of our facilities are top priorities. The trained and knowledgeable housekeeping staff at our hotel is one of the best lines of defense along with our regular inspections. We pride ourselves on keeping our teams equipped with the knowledge, training, and tools needed to identify and address any issues, and we regularly review our housekeeping standards and procedures to endeavor to ensure that each guest enjoys a safe, clean and comfortable environment in our hotel.

We take great pride in being recognized with a the Quality Excellence Award and Turning Point Award from Intercontinental Hotel Group for 2011. These awards are based on guest comments and their satisfaction with our property.

We appreciate your comments and hope that you view this as an isolated incidental. If you would like to discuss this matter with me further, please contact me directly at your convenience.