“Fun Time”

Comedy Club of Jacksonville
Reviewed 30 May 2016 via mobile

Comedian was good. Very roomy. However, eat before you get there. Had the nachos, chicken was extremely dry! Waitress charged our card for someone else's ticket! Double the cost!

3  Thank ayalani70
in 3 reviews
"blast"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 4 December 2015

Okay... I had to think about this for a few days before I decided to go ahead and leave a review. Here are the cliffnotes for those of you in a hurry and then the details will follow:

1. Comedy show was great.
2. The waitress was nice and attentive.
3. The drinks were horrible.
4. The manager/owner was rude.
5. The place is old and smells bad.

Alright, for those of you that what to know the details of what happened, here we go:

I went to the late night show. Apparently the regular evening show is more PG but if there is a comic that does an 'adult' act, you can choose. My party and I saw a hypnotist. Now, we walk in and we had ordered tickets in advance, paid for them online. Guess what? They gave our seats away because another party that was there for the 8:00 PM show wanted to see the show again... Yeah, okay. Then they explain that they have seated us right close there, and it should be no issue. I don't make a fuss, and we go inside and are seated. We are smack dab in front of the stage. Now, if you have ever been to a comedy show, that is the last place you want to be unless you want to be called out or made an example of.

I was not in the mood to have to have argue with a comedian that may have been lacking material and needed someone to mess with. Luckily, that didn't happen, but the potential was there. We asked if we could sit somewhere else before the show started. The waitress said she'd ask. She came back and said the seats were already purchased as far as where we wanted to move. OH REALLY?! Our seats were already paid for too, but they had no problem tossing us over to the side like leftovers, but okay... fine. Guess what? NO ONE CAME ALL NIGHT TO SIT IN THOSE SO-CALLED 'PURCHASED SEATS' - another lie. The place was over 65% empty...

Okay, moving along. I'm not a big a drinker and didn't want any alcohol. I ordered a Shirley Temple. That's right, I'm a rebel. How in the hades does one mess up a ST? All it is is sprite (sometimes ginger-ale) and grenadine. Now, my first S.T. was fine, but the second one was a revenge beverage - of this, I am certain. Someone in my party ordered a martini, it was messed up, she asked them to take it away and I suspect they gave her vermouth that she didn't want, to me. I believe they poured her drink into my second severing of S.T. and here's why I believe that:

The owner/manager comes over and talks about how he just wasted a shot of vermouth and wanted an explanation as to why she didn't like her drink...
And he didn't do it as an 'my apology' sort of way, it was confrontational - like he was angry, as if he were going to go broke over the long lost glass of alcohol.

By this time, I'm rolling my eyes and debating on leaving and the show hasn't even began.

Because I only drink 1-2 times a year, my taste buds are very sensitive to alcohol. I tasted it and knew IMMEDIATELY alcohol was in it. Just in case, however, I had each member of my party taste it too. They are seasoned drinkers - they both agreed I'd been slipped a mickey. Now, what if I was allergic to alcohol? What if I was a recovering alcoholic? I'm not, but if I were, this could have been an issue. Who ever is working the bar over there needs to be taken to task. The waitress asked if I wanted another drink - by that point, I was in a 'hell to the no' mood. She brought one anyway and I sipped a bit of it but left it alone for the most part. The alcohol was gone but the drink was still nasty. Someone else in our party had a messed up beer, so I guess the bar/owner/manager was sick of us but no one was angry about the errors until he marched over there like a one dude X-Men getting all red in the face about a shot of vermouth...

Anyway, the show was good, but the moldy odor in the place left me feeling a bit nauseated. As soon as you walk in, it hits you. In fairness, I have a strong sense of smell, but I just don't think I can return here again. They need to get the place professionally cleaned, update it and stop acting angry over mistakes made at the bar, versus the customer. We were going to order some food but decided that if they couldn't even get a Shirley Temple right, there was no need to even bother.

A+ for the show, B for the waitress, F for the venue, F for the management/bar

1  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed 19 August 2015

I'm a comedy promoter. I travel to different clubs promoting comedy. The club in Jacksonville is awesome. The food is good the place is clean and the comics was funny. So i guess that make it clean comedy. Lol
if you passing thru stop by the comedy club, and get a drink and a chicken leg and sit back and laugh your butt off. Enjoy

Reviewed 29 July 2015

comics were very funny, staff is genuine to ensure your enjoying yourself. good service and better than most taste on appetizers and very

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 July 2015

The Comedy Club of Jacksonville is the destination comedy club in town. There are other clubs, and other places for national and local standup talent, but none combine the atmosphere, food (both quality and service), and most importantly, the FUNNY of Comedy Club of Jax.

The July 3 Comedy Showcase featured a dozen local stand up acts. For the most part, the acts were polished and, frankly, hilarious, though the show did feature some new up-and-coming local comics. Obviously the more experienced comics were more practiced and, logically, funnier but the lineup was set up so that the flow of the night was not interrupted by the newbies.

The estimated 140 people in the club all seemed to really enjoy the more than hour-and-a-half of comedy.

Despite a computer glitch that resulted in all manual food orders, Steve and the staff at Comedy Club of Jax made sure that no one left the club hungry or thirsty. Frankly, it was a miracle that people were served at all. But the staff made it happen.

The following week, world-renowned comic and watermelon murderer Gallagher performed, along with nationally known comics Artie Fletcher and Bob Nelson.

The Showcases have been moved from 6:30 to 7:30 or 8:00 pm and the comedy comes in at a medium- to hard-R rating. Certainly an adult night out.

The next Comedy Showcase is July 25 at 8:00 pm. Doors open at 7:00 pm and at $5, the tickets are the best comedy value in town.