All reviews walnut cottage civil war cookies field hospital bed and breakfast historic property home away from home great hosts every morning private porch b and b step back in time close to town breakfast was delicious visitor center enjoyed our stay downtown gettysburg
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband, mother and I stayed at the Lightner farmhouse for our little getaway. We had a wonderful time. Eileen and Dennis are wonderful hosts. Very friendly, breakfast was fantastic and the cookies were wonderful. Eileen packed some cookies for my mother for our journey on into Washington DC. We had a wonderful time! We hope to go back someday and we will stay with Eileen and Dennis. Thanks again for a wonderful 2 days.

Room Tip: Any room or suite will be well chosen. All rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife, daughter, and I stayed in the Walnut Cottage March 26, 27, 28, and left on the 29th. The cottage is separated from the main house by an attractive breezeway. The bedroom was spacious with a comfortable king size bed and a comfortable daybed that my daughter slept on. There was an electric fireplace that helped keep the room warm. Downstairs, there was a nice fireplace and a TV. The bathroom was also located downstairs. The place was very clean. It was nice to come back to our room everyday to homemade chocolate chip cookies. We were also offered hot chocolate and teas available in the breezeway. We also had a nice porch to sit on where we would play with Jezebel, their friendly black cat. This porch overlooked acres of attractive fields and woods which we walked. The innkeepers, Eileen and Dennis, were very hospitable and friendly. They served an excellent breakfast every morning and the coffee was fresh and abundant. Betty, their housekeeper, was an added delight! She was very knowledgable about the local ghost lore, and took us on a ghost hunt at the Sach's Covered Bridge. The ghost hunt is a must, if you are making this journey! We had a great time and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you desire a King Size Bed, The Walnut Cottage is what you want.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sgtcurt
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My husband, son and I just returned from a wonderful stay at the Lightner Farmhouse. I can't say enough nice things about our visit----Eileen and Dennis were such gracious hosts. We only wish that we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo-Ann S
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Always feel right at home. Close to everything. Love it every time!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Cedar Room at the Lightner for our anniversary on November 4, 2011. Eileen and Dennis were very welcoming. They made an excellent breakfast and had delicious cookies available for us throughout the stay. Our room was very nice, comfortable, and had a electric fireplace that was a nice touch. We were even greeted by Jezebel the cat on our porch. We took the Paranormal Tour with Betty at night and it was great fun. Betty is such a truly nice person and we really enjoyed learning all about the ghosts of the house and talking with her. She took us to Sach's Bridge where we got some unexplainable pictures. I loved that we were able to use KII meters and other authentic ghost hunting equipment. Betty even gave us a CD with all of the pictures that she took. All in all it was a great stay and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: The Cedar room has it's own outside door and a porch.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple