“Bad Service, not much for the dollar”

Farnsworth House Inn
Ranked #13 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Darlington, MD
“Bad Service, not much for the dollar”
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I visited Farnworths Inn, on Sep,t 23 2011 Resv under Mains. Resv for 18. One they couldn't handle that amount of people all at one time. We were split up. food came out very slowly, some of us eating and some not. By the time the last person was served the first half was done. Not to mention one mans steak was so over cooked he couln't eat it, had to remake the steak.
The quality of food was poor. small portions, very small. BBQ with 2 veggies was over 10.00 for about 4oz of meat. NY strip was 6oz and cooked well, well done when ordered med, for 17.95,
The service was awful. I would never recommended the Farnsworth Inn to any one. Bad experience. poor food quality, poor service.
Joy Frederick

Room Tip: Steer clear. Eat somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Joy W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Emigsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I have stayed at most of the well known Bed and Breakfast in Gettysburg and The Farnsworth House on about five or six occassions. Actually my first overnight stay in Gettysburg was at the Farnsworth House. First I would like to say that there are some really good qualities of this B and B. The rooms I have stayed in were decorated to the hilt and you feel like you were living in the 1800's. For me thats a great feeling and why I love Gettysburg.
Second the paranormal activity is awesome in several of the rooms, Namely the Catherine Sweeny and the Sarah Black room. Third the haunted history of the Inn Is well known and documented and it's pretty cool to be able to go up to the attic and see where the sharpshooters took aim at the Union troops on day two and three of Battle. Fourth they have a wonderful book store attached where you will find almost anything you want to read about Gettysburg and the entire civil war, Some lovely paintings also. The restuarant is just avg and the breakfast is nice but not outstanding. (I'm not a big breakfast eater but since i'm reviewing I'll offer my opinion)
So from a positive perspective ghost hunters will probably love this Inn and you should get some activity. On that subject didn't think the in house Ghost Tour was very good. The guides did'nt seem to excited about their job and offered little in the way of a telling newcomers to the hunt much of an explanation. I friend and I spent much of the evening leading the hunt and telling people the history of the Inn and how to use the equipment. Maybe they were just having a bad night. Also they overbook the hunts and although I know they're in it to make money you can't have an effective ghost hunt in this small of an area if you have people falling all over each other. One time when i was there in the Sweeney room it sounded like a herd of elephants going up and down the steps, and what was actually going on was a tour group of twenty five people going up to the attic. So my point is if your going here for a nice quiet experience you'll probably be disappointed while the hunts are going on.
I'm not sure who own or is the InnKeeper which is a little unusual for a Gettysburg B and B. When you go to one of the first class B and B's in Gettyburg you KNOW the Innkeeper. Farnsworth is run more like a corporate hotel. I'm not saying it's wrong and obviously they are successful but you just don't get that feeling of a warm welcome and attention to detail that you get in the really great B and B's. The location is great, the history is great, the property is nice and this could be one of the premier facilities and should be. If I were the owner I would hire a very personable Inn Keeper and run it in a more professional manner and not overcommercialize the whole thing. This facilty should be a top 5 Bed and Breakfast in this market. Hire new ghost tour/hunt professionals.
I will go back just to visit the ghost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Call way ahead and book the Sarah Black room or the Catherine Sweeney rooms. if they aren't avai...
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank wsf423
Tallahassee
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My parents had stayed here last year and so this year I decided to be brave and do so with a friend of mine. We booked the Custer Room for one night. The room was clean although a little warm. Patty who checked us in was wonderful and told lots of stories about the spirits there. When we would leave the room i left a digital voice recorder and webcam on in hopes of capturing anything paranormal. Even left some little cars for Jeremy to play with...although he didn't lol When we got in for the night my friend was sleeping on a cot in the room (which i might add, patty gave to us for no charge). she fell asleep immediately, but i layed awake with only the tv on quietly. At one point she sat up in the bed and said something had touched her uncovered shoulder. Through out the night i heard LOTS of noises around the room and I hope when i review the recordings that I hear them on the recorder. We woke up the next day to a lovely breakfast outside on the patio. Guests are given a choice between 4 main items and one side.

We did return to the tavern on Monday afternoon to enjoy their wonderful fish and chips! The staff there was very nice also. Sometimes it's not on the menu so you have to ask for it, but it's one of the best i've had.

Also make sure you walk through the new haunted museum at the Farnsworth. Its a walk through and highlights several of the more famous hauntings and stories in Gettysburg and also includes actual items that belonged to the spirits that live there. Beware there are things that jump out at you....lol

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 August 2011

The rooms are fantastically decorated, the service was exceptionally friendly, food fantastic, evenings quiet and extra services numerous.
How's that for a review? I am serious, though - love this place.
As for the extra services, I'm talking about their ghost hunts and story tours. The guides we had were very personable, funny and experienced. Not that we experienced any real paranormal activity but the fun was being there and having the right staff doing the guiding.
Food was wonderful - both the Tavern fare as well as the Farnsworth dining room itself.
Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Stay in the house itself if you want more
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank donges
lexington
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We were not able to get a reservation for the Inn so we ate in the garden. After some confusion by the Head Waitress, because she suggested we could eat in the Tavern or Inn or the garden. We chose the Tavern, they sent us to the Inn and they sent us back to the garden!!! Seems not everyone that work there is on the same page. We had very good meal which was priced right. The service and period dress of our waitress was excellent. Although it was a little noisy that is expected for being outside near Baltimore Street.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple