“Good for breakfast, brunch or lunch”
Review of Sweet Basil's Cafe - CLOSED

Sweet Basil's Cafe
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 13 January 2016

We decided to try sweet basil for brunch on a late Sunday morning last week. When we got there, the place was packed and we were told that we would have a 35 to 40 minute wait. We were very pleasantly surprised when we were seated after only 10 minutes. The menu for breakfast/brunch is pretty large, with a nice selection of omelettes, pancakes and French toast. I ordered the pear French toast, which was incredibly sweet, but the other 5 people in my party really enjoyed their meals. The service was very good, and we will go back to try their sandwiches for lunch.

Reviewed 10 January 2015

Sweet Basil Cafe and Grill moved to Livingston, on South Livingston Ave. almost across from Shop Rite. This is a family restaurant serving excellent food. Service was excellent.I had the Scallop and honeydew cucumber gazpacho, my husband had the swordfish on fennel and crushed potatoes, they were both excellent. You can bring your own wine.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I called to plan a surprise brunch for my mother's 60th. When I called to find out if I could stop by at lunch that day to look at the space and ask a few questions, the first response was "umm, we are busy durnig lunch so can you come at 2pm". Of course, I have a job so no that was not an option and an immediate 1st strike in customer service. I said if preferred, I can stop by after work and she agreed. When I arrived after work, I did meet with a very nice manager on duty. However, once there I was told if I wanted to secure a time and menu, I had to come between 10-3pm when the owners were available. Of course, I did try initially to come during those times but was told to come at night. Get it together. It gets better. So I called the next day to schedule a time to meet the owners and the owner was there but I was told by a representative there that she was "running deliveries" so to take my information and they would call back. OK so at 2:45, I called back since deliveries couldn't take that long and I was eager to set up a meeting and was informed the owners had a flex schedule ending at 3pm daily. I disrespectfully overheard the owner, MARI with an I, state that "doesnt he understand we are in a rush" and that they would call me in an hour. So, I'm not sure why at 3pm after lunch before dinner on a weekday that I should understand they were busy at that hour nor should I have been spoken to in such a manner. Do we have to beg people to take our money? Needless to say, I was not going to give them my business and to top it off, they still haven't called back. I hope karma pays a visit to this establishment that is clearly tripping over money.

3  Thank Alan J
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It has moved to Livingston on South Livingston Avenue near Shop Rite. The food and service continue to be excellent. The atmosphere is much better in this new location.

1  Thank Richard S
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great menu choices, food and drink options. Usually crowded though. Noise level a little loud due to the crowd. Really like the food.

1  Thank Felicia W