“Fun food and a cool environment ”

The Continental Midtown
Reserve with OpenTable
The Continental Midtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 4,652 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre West
Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

Continental came recommended to us and it was a great experience; fast, friendly service at the door and by the prompt friendly waiters. Ask to sit in a basket chair - so comfortable and a different way to dine. The Brussels sprouts were yummy as is the Cheesesteak Egg Rolls. The Continental Candy Bar for dessert was delish! Continental will be on my return list when I'm in Philadelphia again.

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

Four of us went for an overnight sightseeing trip to Philly and were looking for a highly rated restaurant we could walk to from our hotel. It was a short less than a mile walk from the Marriott. We had a reservation and waited about five minutes for the table to be set in the lively, nearly full dining room on a crowded Tuesday night. The large varied menu contained small plates and large plates. We decided to graze and share a number of small plates. We ordered brisket bao buns, shrimp tacos, edamame, chicken tikka masala, Thai chicken lettuce wraps and zucchini pancakes. Each dish had distinct flavors and was served at the proper temperature. As a group we went around the table trying to decide which dish was a favorite. We each picked a different dish and there was not one we wouldn't order again. The server was knowledgeable, friendly and professional. Two different managers checked in with us during our meal to ensure we were happy. We couldn't agree on a dessert so we opted for a sampler including the Continental candy bar, cinnamon toast ice cream sandwiches and ricotta doughnuts. What a way to end the meal. They were all as good or even better than the descriptions sounded. We waddled back to the hotel after dinner, thankful to be able to walk some of it off.

Reviewed 2 January 2017

This was our second time here and we'd go back, but not without concerns. Our first visit was for brunch; this time was lunch, and the menu was so boring we almost left. It's dated and very, very limited if you do not eat meat and/or are trying to avoid excessive fat or sugar. The spinach ravioli was pretty tasty, especially after I requested red pepper flakes to add to same but it would have been nice to have more than one non-sweet, non-meat entree option. My husband enjoyed his burger. Even "bar food" can do better than bacon-sugar-and-fruit in everything... it's 2017, guys. Our server was awesome, though, and the rest of the staff seemed friendly.

Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

I say it in a good way. when you are visiting any of Starr's restaurants you will get a good meal.
this is one of the inexpensive concepts of the group but still innovative with good quality food.

Reviewed 18 December 2016

My husband and I were in Philly for the Marathon (he ran, not me!). I was surprised that we were easily able to get a table here the night before the Marathon. We had just wandered in, not knowing what kind of place it was.

The décor was really interesting. I would call is "futuristic retro". It sort of looked like how someone in the 1950s would picture the future. It was fun and surprisingly comfortable. I saw hanging basket chairs upstairs (not sure how comfortable that would be for eating but they looked like fun).

We had a drink at the bar while waiting for our table. The drinks were excellent, large, well made and fairly priced.

The menu was completely eclectic. It was sort of like a tasting menu, except the portions were larger than a tasting menu's portions are. Several cuisines were represented, everything from Mac & Cheese to Jamaican to Asian and others. The food is very fresh, and may or may not be served together (they serve family style), depending how it comes out of the kitchen. Our waitress, very helpful, was very clear in letting us know that upfront. We would up with chicken tikka masala (an Indian dish) and Jamaican jerk chicken. Both were delicious, with a lovely aftertaste.

The place is noisy in a fun way, but you can still hold a conversation. It was fairly inexpensive, with most entrees under $20. Overall, it was a delightful surprise, and I wish they could open one of these near us in NJ!