“Feels like home! Pizza and Beer.”

Mad Greek Restaurant and Pizza
Ranked #1,657 of 4,718 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed 3 September 2016

The Mad Greek was a surprise. After a long week and not eating lunch I wanted to just sit for an hour or so, find a pizza stop that I could also have a decent beer and a bite to hold me over. What I found was more than I bargained for and was a bargain as well.
Just on the outskirts of University City, Philadelphia, is a place that is known by college students and locals combined. Mad Greek has been in business for over 40 years. Other places come and go but this place is a Philly tradition.
They have a vast array of craft beer that can purchased to go or to enjoy with an awesome slice of pizza.
The pizza was hot, the sauce was good and the crust was like butter. When asked what was the most popular item on the menu the owner James said that no body ever complains about the Stromboli. He was very humble about the food and is more concerned with ensuring that you are satisfied. He said several people that frequent his restaurant order a Stromboli, get a six pack then head home, and feel full for a day or two. The large Stromboli is more than most can eat in one sitting.
You can say that about a lot of Pizza joints though. What sets this place apart is James. James s the owner and he is the kind of guy that you feel immediately is a friend. We struck up a conversation about beer and the restaurant immediately. Half of the people that entered, he knew by name, and if he didn't know them, I could not tell. Students were coming in and hugging him as they left college to embrace a new life in another town but it was like he was saying goodbye to his family.
My recommendation is that if you are in the west side of Philadelphia around 35th and Lancaster, avoid the fancy trendy places. Stop here and say hello to James. Tell him Gary sent you. Won't get you anything but a smile and a great slice of pizza but what more to life is there.

Reviewed 25 September 2015

We had dinner here when we were moving my daughter into college nearby. The Greek salad was great and they have a very impressive selection of beers and hard ciders. It's a good place for a quick meal!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great 8' thin pizza's bacon c. burger is top pick. Asked them to cook my wings well done and it was followed to the tee. I believe owner was John who assisted me when I picked up my order. Kudos and keep up the great product and service. Btw, ordered based on Yelp reviews which was on point.