“Amazing place everyone forgets to revisit once they move out of the City”

South Street Souvlaki
Ranked #299 of 4,690 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre East
Reviewed 12 September 2016

South Street Souvlaki.. For some reason this decades old standard always gets passed over when Greek food gets discussed on the Main Line where I live. I guess we're as guilty as any Philadelphia expat in not having eaten there since moving to suburbia. My wife had a craving for Greek roasted potatoes today, and running through the list of the best we'd ever had, took us for a stroll down the Memory Lane of South Street. This place has not changed one iota since the 70s. Actually you can still get a chicken or pork Souvlaki (at the the takeout window) for the same $3 it cost when I was in high school, and these were called "munchies." The same owner is in charge, and still stops by to schmooze like you are old family. They make all the standards, but where they excel is the traditional flame kissed Souvlaki and horizontally roasted gyros. We shared a simple app of a tender warm pita, sliced to accompany a slab of creamy feta and seedless kalamatas touched with Balsamic. My wife went with the gyros experience.. the foil wrapped sammy overflowing with tasty stuff.. It was around $8 or so. For $12, I went with a Greek Combo of pork Souvlaki and lamb/beef Gyros accompanied by tasty rice and Turlu, a Greek vegetable stew of squash, cabbage, carrots, potatoes and tomatoes. We shared the Greek roasted potatoes which were the reason for the visit. We've never been able to replicate them. Olive oil, tomatoes and lemon juice are somehow involved. They have a unique texture, both firm yet tender, and a richness of flavor that potatoes are just not SUPPOSED to have. There are is a full bar, and the staff are ultra-casual, so you just can't be any more comfortable without eating in your car. I guarantee we won't let another two decades pass before eating here again.

1  Thank jan_klincewicz

Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

Not only is the food always delicious but they treat you like family...very welcoming and attentive from the moment you walk in. The bartender makes the BEST apple martini! They have the freshest, most delicious hummus and pita bread! In my mid 20's I dined or picked up take out a couple times a month but now in my 40's and living further away I am fortunate if I have the opportunity to dine a few times a year! The prices are very reasonable for the excellent quality of food! I can't say enough great things about this spot!

Reviewed 21 July 2016

This is pretty basic, but they have a chef who knows what they are doing. We had the lamb plate (I think?) which was really good, and the baba ganoush too.

Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch yesterday and got lamb gyros. They were really good. And quick, and inexpensive. I want to go back and try some other food on the menu!

Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

Hands down the best Gyro on South Street. Never disappointed. Have not been able to find quality for the price anywhere else. I love these guys.

1  Thank cassandra c