“DELICIOUS ”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 12th Street
Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I visited for dinner. It was the most flavorful food we have ever had. Each dish was beautifully presented, and flavors were complex and balanced. We had the wood roasted carrot with pumpernickel, garbanzos, carrot mustard, carrot kraut, the charred Brussel sprouts with kimchee glaze, and nebrodini mushrooms. Yum, yum, yum! I can’t wait to come back to Philadelphia so I can eat here again! You don’t need to be a vegan to appreciate this food!

Reviewed 7 February 2018

As a 30-year vegetarian, I can say this is hands-down some of the best vegan food I've ever had (equal to its predecessor restaurant Horizon, which was created by the same couple). But at over $100 for two people, it is profoundly disappointing to leave the restaurant and be hungry 2 hours later, because that's how small the portions are!

I'm 5'2", spouse is 5'5" -- both average weight -- and he woke up in the middle of the night with hunger pains! I can't imagine how average- or even large-sized people could feel satisfied with these food portions.

It's also so unnecessary. Some of the entries are super rich and need to be taken in small portions, but why not, for example, provide a big steaming bowl of the pea leaves instead of 8 spoons' worth? It had one delicious but very lonely sliver of tofu in the whole pot; why not dish out 8 of them? This was true for so many of the dishes.

We didn't order any drinks or any alcohol, and only one desert, and our bill still came to $110 (+ $20 tip). No matter how delicious the food was, we probably won't be coming back. This makes us both very melancholy! This restaurant is a great example to meat-eaters that healthy vegan food truly can delight the senses, but it communicates the sad message that we have the appetites of a bird!

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

I will be the first to admit that I am not a vegetarian. I enjoy beef, chicken, and seafood. I was invited to this restaurant with some friends. Before arriving, I looked researched in anticipation of what I would order. Honestly I was very confused. Some of the reviews were really good others stated that their food was bland. This is an honest independent review to help others like me make a decision. The restaurant is located in an older structure. When you walk in, you’ll see a big bar area. We arrived and had some drinks there. Everyone was pleasant and welcoming. We were then seated. Our waiter Steven was very helpful. We asked him to script the menu for us. We asked him to explain every item which he did very well. He scripted three courses for us . Everything was incredibly amazing. I say this as a very picky eater. It was a truly incredible culinary experience. The food was sophisticated and smart. Here is what we had: He started us with the stuffed avocado, the fancy radishes, and the rutabaga fondue (this was incredible and a must try); next, he brought charred brussels sprouts, shaved Tokyo turnips, Cauliflower Tagine (This was a great) and the Nebrodini mushrooms. The finale was the wood roasted carrots, the egg plant Braciole and the seared maitake mushroom. You can’t go wrong with any of these picks. I will definitely return for more !! I never expected vegetarian to be this good.

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

If you're a vegan this is your place. The atmosphere was very pleasant, noise level controlled, service very good. Food preparation was excellent. Some of the food became monotonous and bland. Taking the cheese out of an au gratin dish and substituting yeast may work, but why bother. The mushroom dishes were excellent. A lot of turnips, rutabagas, radishes and of course the $15 grilled carrot Reuben. Ice cream just doesn't taste right without cream. Not nearly as good as Green's in San Francisco. Glad we went, but wouldn't return.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

If you take out the meat, you need to add flavor. Obviously this restaurant is not aware of this fact. Bland, tasteless food which was utterly disgusting and overpriced. They deliberately make tiny portions to force you to order more food, so they can make more money. Pretentious, unfriendly and unprofessional staff who need a reality check. Why this restaurant is on Philadelphia's Top 50 list is a mystery. There are certainly way better vegetarian options out there.