All reviews painted black old city platinum member independence hall liberty bell the air conditioning society hill great location rooms are large front desk minute walk valet parking walking distance closet lounge renovation hip
Reviewed 14 September 2018

The Renaissance Philadelphia downtown used to be a shabby hotel called the Ben Franklin, or something of the sort. It was a fine hotel, but not a place I liked to stay. Today the Renaissance Philadelphia downtown is one of Marriott's best properties in Philadelphia, and 100% worth staying in.

The proximity to old city gives you the opportunity to see the sights, while you can still walk to some fine dining in Society Hill (like Zahav!!!) or go to Fork just around the corner from the hotel. Sansom with the popular restaurants like El Vez and Sampan is only a 15 minute walk or so, and the cab ride to Fishtown to eat somewhere there is also only 15 minutes. Definitely a prime location without too many homeless people, which is hard to find in Philly.

The hotel itself is beautiful. The lobby is recently renovated to sport a really nice bar on one side and a cool breakfast space on the other. As a platinum member you get free breakfast since there's no lounge at this Renaissance and the breakfast more than makes up for the lack of lounge. I had pancakes and grapefruit juice and coffee for no cost one of the days. The next day you could do eggs Benedict! Truly a great breakfast situation especially in the beautiful lobby space. Also La Colombe coffee!!!! Finally a hotel breaking from crap coffee to serve something local and fantastic!

The rooms are extremely spacious, with new furnishings, decorations, and bathrooms. The showers are designed well with glass so no curtain to deal with. The beds are new and very comfortable. The TVs are big and connected to Netflix. The working area is large and provides many outlets, the closet is just big enough and very new. There's nothing you can say bad about the rooms. There's a lot of lights, it might be hard to find the switches, but I was even surprised to see a light inside of the TV stand!

The service is great s well. Everyone wanted to help, and when I walked in the front desk immediately knew I had mobile checked in and had situated me on a high floor like I wanted in a nice corner room. They treat Platinum guests quite well here!

This is my new hotel of choice in Philly, you should definitely make it yours!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2018

We stopped for 2 nights here. Firstly I would like to say that in the end, we slept well in our room and enjoyed our stay at this hotel, even if the start was a little more difficult than I had hoped.

1) Check in is odd. I appreciate that I am perhaps not the target clientele of this trendy, modern - as in dark, moody lighting - and upscale hotel. But having a desk called the "navigator" which I can barely see in the dark, staffed by people who I don't understand the role of - are they there to check me in, or just to show me the lifts, or something else - and the reception round a sharp dark corner which was even harder to find.

2) Our air-conditioning was inoperative. It took two visits by the engineer (who was most accomodating and friendly) but it was fixed in the end.

3) The hotel has recently been renovated I understand. It is a shame that the renovations did not include the windows. They are nasty, old, badly fitting and filthy. They let in so much noise that from the ninth floor I could clearly hear the bus passing by "Next Stop...." on the road far below.

4) The pool was excellent and allowed us to cool down after another boiling day.

5) Once the air conditioning was fixed the room was comfortable and the bathroom clean and tidy.

Room Tip: High Floor is a must!
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2018

My husband, daughter and I recently stayed at the Renaissance. The staff was wonderful. I loved my room, loved the furnishings, but as other reviewers have said a little dark. I thought the bathroom was beautiful though. The view from my room was amazing. We could walk to great restaurants, bars and historical sights in Old City. It was very easy to pull up in front of the hotel and valet my car. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for white glove “my pleasure” mahogany and velvet of a Rotz-Carlton or St. Regis this property is not for you.

We checked in the day after Labor Day. Immediately we were greeted by the navigator who was enthusiastic and energetic. He welcomed us and directed us towards the front desk where the agent was happy to accommodate an early check in.

Went to our room and it was fantastic. Very spacious and immaculate. Decor was tasteful and modern. Tons of plug ins in the room in convenient locations both standard and USB. Condiments for the coffee were individually wrapped instead of a package containing all items so you didn’t feel wasteful using just one thing. Stirrers were wooden instead of plastic which is nice environmentally. Smart TV let you log into your Netflix account easily.

Pool and hot tub area were clean and well appointed. I loved the mural on the bottom of the pool.

Navigator, I don’t remember is name but he was very energetic with tattoos, was helpful in pointing us towards a good lunch within walking distance and also ready with an iPad to answer anything he wasn’t sure of.

Lobby and bar/restaurant were both very comfortable and sleekly designed.

A few things that could pose a problem but were non issues for us.

The front desk if tucked away in a corner but we were directed to it immediately. With the way it is situated it seems like it could be an issue if there was a line of people to check in. However it is nicely private from the bar/lounge so you wouldn’t have to worry about noise or sensitive information being overheard.

In the rooms there are no disposable cups. The environmentally conscious person in me is happy; however as somebody who is aware of the reality of the cleanliness of glasses/mugs in rooms I am hesitant to be thrilled about this. Also, you cannot make your cup of coffee and take it with you out of the hotel. On the same note there was no liner for the ice bucket.

Service in the bar and breakfast were a touch slow, but servers and bar tenders were moving constantly. Maybe they anticipated being slower right after the holiday.

Lighting was a bit tough. I am someone who lights fairly bright light and to be pretty close to the mirror when doing my makeup. Some back walls and a deep vanity make it a little awkward.

No drawers in the room and a small closet so if you pack a lot and like to unpack in the room it might pose a challenge.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

The only nice thing about this hotel was location. The rooms are dark (black walls) one lamp did not work near bed. Newly renovated pool area was very slippery. Hot tub was not even warm, so no relief for tired muscles after walking around Philly. Being a gold member meant nothing to this hotel. Will never recommend or stay here again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple