“Very cute, surrounded by little shops and brewpubs”

Chestnut Hill Hotel
Ranked #18 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Very nice boutique hotel in beautiful building in a long strip of intriguing shops and restaurants on Germantown Ave. My room was small but cute with thoughtful touches like convenient sockets, nightlight in bathroom, FAN in bathroom (my pert issue), light in closet when opened. Free breakfast was underwhelming, sometimes stale bagels, possibly canned fruit, gross syrup for waffles. OK for 1 or 2 days. But there are other breakfast options nearby on Germantown so no worries.
Accessible from hotel to the left and right are Paris Bistro, where I had a nice duck comfit, and an American restaurant and bar, Chestnut Hill Grill or something like that. Friendly bar with burgers etc.

Stayed: December 2017
John P, Manager at Chestnut Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Dennis T,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. I am happy you noticed and appreciated the details in the room including the well-placed sockets and closet light. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy breakfast, which includes hot waffles, hard-boiled eggs, pastries, toast, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee and tea. It is unacceptable that the bagels were stale; that is not our standard of service. We are actually currently in the process of upgrading some of the options. While we do not offer canned fruit, we do have an opportunity to offer more seasonal fruit. It’s great you had a chance to dine at Paris Bistro and the Grill; both offer delicious food. Thank you again; we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

We chose this hotel because of its location near my niece and it turned out to be a very good choice. It is a boutique hotel in an old building with nicely furnished and updated rooms. I have to agree with some of the other reviewers...one of the most comfortable beds ever. My wife and I did partake the complimentary continental breakfast which was adequate. The bar and adjacent restaurant looked like fun, but our schedule did not allow us to try them.
Walk up and down Germantown Avenue for shopping and dining. Out back there is also a small market that had the feel of a farmers market.

We had a room with king size bed, and it was quite a bit larger than my brother's room with a queen. But neither room had much in the way of space for unpacking.

The service was very good and friendly...any requests were dealt with promptly. A definite A+ for friendly service.

One area where they could improve is parking. There is a parking lot behind the hotel for and you get a dashboard pass; but if you come back from an evening out, there is a good possibility that the lot will be full. We parked a block or two away from the hotel, but it would have been more convenient had there been space in the lot.

Room Tip: Maybe rooms that don't face Germantown Ave will be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Dear GBishop593,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your most recent stay. I am happy to hear we were a good choice and that you found the bed to be really comfortable! If you’d like, you can order the same mattress from Simmons by calling 1-866-WANTBED and referencing “65-443”. We take pride in offering service that exceeds our guests' expectations and I will be sure to pass your kind words and "A+" rating onto our staff. As you discovered, parking can be challenging at night, especially on the weekends, and we will take your feedback into consideration. Should you choose to stay with us again, please let us know you have a car and we will do our best to reserve a spot for you. Thank you again for your review and for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

For a company offsite in Philadelphia, I assumed that we would be at the usual white-and-gray corporate hotel where most offsite meetings in my career have been held. Imagine my shock (and joy) when my cab pulled up in front of the Chestnut Hill Hotel with it's beautiful decor, warm and cozy atmosphere, and almost storybook environment. Even though the hotel is set in an absolutely gorgeous area, it stands out as a beauty of its own.

Upon entering, I was greeted by the kindest front desk clerk, who directed me to my room, and subsequently brought me bottled water as I was dehydrated from my journey. My room was absolutely beautiful. Large, comfortable bed, well-appointed furniture, nice-sized bathroom with L'Occitane toiletries (I still have the small lotion!) and a thoughtfully provided space heater for the chillier evenings.

What's even more impressive about the room is how well the space was used, and how the decor really made it feel like you'd stepped into a serene story. Even coming up the elevator and walking to the room, there were homey ornaments and a bookshelf with interesting titles. In the most complimentary of ways, it felt more like I was visiting a family home than a hotel.

There are two restaurants in the hotel -- Chestnut Grill and Paris Bistro Cafe. We had dinner in the downstairs of Paris, which has a very robust '30s theme, and where they also have jazz bands some nights of the week. The cocktails were very well made and tasty, the food was comforting but also high quality, and the service was quick, thoughtful, and attentive. A few of us later ended up at the upstairs bar at Paris, and the bartender there was also extremely friendly, conversational, and provided exceptional service.

What I also loved about Chestnut Hill Hotel was that it's within walking distance to some wonderful restaurants - El Poquito and CinCin - but also has some neighboring amenities that makes the hotel feel like it's in a mini neighborhood of its own. (Note: maybe this is the hardened city girl in me, but I couldn't stop gasping at the beautiful homes with their pumpkins, shutters, fall decor, and beautiful foliage. "Places like this exist, really? Simply gorgeous).

Next to the hotel is the Market, which feels like a general store, but has some of the most wonderful food and delicious treats I have seen. Stickybuns from Barry's Buns, Korean fusion, Poppy's Cafe (great coffee), sushi, Mediterranean food -- and even a brewery, a produce market, a soap company, and a knife sharpener! The maple bacon, egg and cheese sandwich at Ranck's Deli was a favorite of many in our group.

If it wasn't for my overwhelming desire to go home (I'd been on the road for two weeks), I easily could've seen myself staying there for a couple more days just to relax and disconnect from the city hustle and bustle. The bed provided some of the best sleep I'd had, and the quiet was comforting, mostly because I knew the hotel was run by people who truly cared about the experience and safety of its guests.

This is a perfect destination for a family getaway, a couples trip, a solo trip or even a relaxing girl's trip (so many great shops, including high-end consignment). As a city girl who often jokes about being afraid of the suburbs, this didn't feel like suburbia -- it was a storybook hotel dream come true.

I'd happily stay there again. And again. And again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Dear Mediaphyter,

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed review about your recent stay at the Chestnut Hill Hotel. I am thrilled to hear we came as a pleasant surprise during your company offsite. You have such wonderful things to say and I am so happy you enjoyed the area, staff, and found the room to be comfortable. It’s great you had a chance to explore the nearby restaurants including Paris Bistro and the Market at the Fareway. We definitely hope you are able to escape the city again and visit us when you have more time and can continue to explore!

Reviewed 9 November 2017

We frequently stop by the Chestnut Hill Hotel for lunch or dinner. Whether we are part of a bigger group or dinner for two, the food is always very good, attractively served, and a good value for the money. When the weather permits, try the outside seating and enjoy the atmosphere of locals passing by while you savor your delicious drinks and a great meal.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear lschroeder,

Thank you for your review of the Chestnut Grill, located right next to the Chestnut Hill Hotel. I am happy to hear you frequently eat at the Grill and find the food to be consistently good. You are right, the outside seating is definitely worth trying when the weather is nice! Should you need a staycation or accommodations for your out of town guests, we would love to have you stay at the Chestnut Hill Hotel.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

Our family was attending an event close by, and instead of making the long drive out and back from downtown, found this hotel to stay at. It is a beautiful historic property with comfortable modern rooms, located in the heart of the historic Chestnut Hill shopping area. Our stay was pleasant and relaxing, and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The beds in our room were some of the most comfortable we had ever slept in. We ate in one of the hotel's two restaurants, and the next night enjoyed pizza and beer while sitting around the fire pit at the brewery out back. The hotel offers a free continental breakfast that includes a waffle maker. We had a fun time checking out all of the interesting shops in the area, and only wished that we had time for lunch on the front porch. We chose the hotel for its location, but will surely return for the fine accommodations!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
John P, General Manager at Chestnut Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Dear PHW,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit. I am pleased to hear you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and our rooms to be comfortable and modern. We are fortunate to be located in the heart of historic Chestnut Hill, within walking distance to the Avenue with its variety of shops and dining options. Chestnut Hill Brewing Company is the newest addition to our complex and I’m glad you had a chance to enjoy some beer and pizza around out firepit. Hopefully your schedule will permit a return visit in the near future so you can continue to explore the area.