“Gotta Try the Cottage Pie”

McCarthy's Red Stag Pub and Whiskey Bar
Ranked #5 of 358 Restaurants in Bethlehem
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Irish, British, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Welcome to McCarthy's Red Stag Pub and Whiskey Bar. Experience a taste of Ireland and the British Isles at Bethlehem's Celtic Pub and Restaurant. With authentic Irish and British Isles food made from scratch, a full bar, an extensive Irish and Scottish whiskey menu, and a family-friendly atmosphere, McCarthy's is the place for a true Celtic experience in the Lehigh Valley. Created to preserve Irish family traditions and memories passed down through generations, it is a perfect place to celebrate life's special events and everyday happenings.
Reviewed 30 April 2016

This is a small, lively pub with good Irish/British fare and a nice variety of drink options. My cottage pie was delicious. The pub was rather noisy when we were there for dinner - mainly thanks to one particularly rowdy table. But service was good, and the menu offered an intriguing variety. A different and enjoyable night out.

Reviewed 28 April 2016

So, I visited McCarthy's Pub three times in April.
I was there for the first time to attend a painting party in the upstairs Special Event room. It's a nice set-up. If you're looking to book a small to medium sized party in the area, I would recommend checking it out.

The next time, my husband and I stopped just for dessert and after dinner drinks with another couple. I ordered a piece of chocolate cake with peanut butter and honey ice cream (from Bank Street Creamery in Easton!!!). I really recommend the desserts and the locally-made ice cream at McCarthy's.

Then, the following weekend, we came on a Sunday night with our three kids. They have a very good kids menu. The peanut butter and jelly was made on thick slices of bread and it looked very good -- was served with fries and apple slices. Also, the kids' mac & cheese was a generous bowl of bowtie pasta and was topped with crumbled potato chips. I think an adult would enjoy the mac & cheese as well. We ordered chicken wings, one basket of garlic parm and one with Buffalo-style sauce. The Buffalo was the better of the two, nice & saucy and grilled (not deep fried) wings. I loved the wings. My husband didn't. Really the only other appetizers they offer are cheese fondue and fries or potato chips (the fries/chips are a build-your-own with toppings)... I guess we'll try the fries next time? My entree was listed under salads, but wasn't too salad-y. It was smoked salmon on thick slices of whole grain brown bread with capers, and mixed greens/pickled cucumber on the side. It was good, but it was a little dry. I think a dressing of sour cream and dill served on the side would have been fantastic. I would bring the kids back here. A fun time for them would be on a Sunday night trivia night when there happens to be no school the next day...

So, the place isn't much on ambience or appetizer selections, therefore I feel it is more of a 3 or 4-star kind of place.

Reviewed 20 April 2016

A group of friends and I recently stopped at the Red Stag for drinks and appetizers. Super spring weather lent to sitting outside in their sidewalk seating area. It took awhile to get a server to help us, but once he came over, he was very attentive. Nice drink menu but limited appetizer selection. They are heavy on their homemade chips, which were yummy, but a little over abundant on the menu. We ordered the "fondue" which was no more than a couple of containers of cheese sauce - not really a fondue and didn't come with any other dippers. The wings with the whiskey mustard sauce were messy, but had good flavor.

For the most part I'd recommend skipping the appetizers and going straight for an entree. It's a nice place to hang out with friends.

Reviewed 19 April 2016 via mobile

Took my wife and daughter there for a late dinner, unfortunately the nice menu stops at 9pm and then it's slim pickings from a bar menu. The burger was OK but the fish and Frys pretty gross.8 bucks for a beer is a little much.no kids menu after 9 also. They had live music that in such a tight area was super loud.

Reviewed 16 April 2016 via mobile

My husband and I came here on a Friday night for dinner. We had been before and were prepared for the cramped indoor seating and somewhat apathetic service, however, this time we sat outside hoping for a different experience. Well, we got one. We sat at our table for at least fifteen minutes before anyone showed up. We watched a neighboring table wait an unreasonable amount of time for their bill and another couple got up and left when no one waited on them. When our waitress did appear, she was very friendly but apparently very overwhelmed. We ordered everything right away: drinks, an appetizer, and both entrees. We got our drinks another fifteen minutes later, which our waitress promptly spilled. Another ten minute wait for a replacement. Then, all of our food came out at once, appetizer and all. My husband's boar burger was overdone. We said nothing, fearing another twenty minute wait (and we didn't want to further stress our already frazzled waitress). I had the smoked salmon on buttered brown bread - it was quite good. We had the fondue as the appetizer with some very mealy apples. Will probably think twice about coming back to this poorly managed restaurant on the weekend.

1  Thank Sherie C