“Great Meal”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bickmore
Description: The Amber Rose Restaurant and Catering specializes in homemade Eastern European Cusine including German, Lithuanian, Polish, Hungarian, Russian and Italian cuisines. Our bar is made of imported Turkish marble, perfect for having an appetizer and spirits with friends. Our beer and wine lists consist of exemplary, hard-to-find European beverages. The building is located in the heart of Old North Dayton. We also specialize in custom catering to fit any of your needs. History of the Building The building, in which The Amber Rose Restaurant is located, was origionally built in 1910 by Sigmund Ksiezopolski. It ran as a general store and deli named Sig’s up until the early 1980′s. The family ran the general store downstairs and resided upstairs as their family quarters. The National Guard stayed with the family during the Great Flood of 1913. In 1989 Elinor Sluzas acquired the building with the intention of opening a restaurant. Before the scheduled grand opening there was a horrific fire and a portion of the building had to be rebuilt. The restaurant officially opened for businesss in 1990. Elinor may have retired but her recipes have stayed the same. Enjoy our homemade cuisines in our European Cafe inspired dining room. There are two private banquet rooms located in the building to host events or we can cater to any requested location. Quality catering and banquet services at our place or yours
Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

We were visiting the United States Air Force Museum and wanted lunch. This was a great find. Great Polish and Lithuanian dishes. The sauerkraut was amazing. They have options for people with dietary restrictions.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

I had heard a lot about this place as having really good German food. The location was in an off the beaten path in a residential area. After our group arrived we were greeted with a friendly waitress who knew all of the menu, specials, and offered drink recommendations to go with what each of us had ordered. The beer choices were o.k., but expected more German style beer/drinks. Prices were moderate. The Jagerschnitzel I ordered was average(durchschnittlich) wasn't the worst I've ever had, and it wasn't the best. Like other reviewers have stated, we had expected this place to be packed on a Friday p.m. but it was pretty desolate. I think the owners have focused their marketing efforts towards the haunted stories of the place, and the fact that several years ago a ghosthunter team stayed the night and had lots of weird things show up on cameras. Our waitress also went into a diatribe about it being haunted. I'd advise them into getting a new marketing plan, and menu together or it will be haunted with no customers and only ghosts....if you're craving German food, then stop in.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 12 September 2018

Every time that I go to the Amber Rose I am pleasantly surprised. They offer free parking close to the entrance. Hey have a really extensive menu that includes German and Eastern European food. Prices are a little above average but the quality is excellent. This time I had the three sausage plate. The sauerkraut was some of the best that I've ever eaten as we're the smashed potatoes. The sausage was unique and extremely tasty. I highly recommend the Amber Rose.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 9 September 2018

The food here is great, the place has character-- it looks like an old tavern-- and the staff is friendly and fast. I had the Lithuanian Sampler, which is a sausage, a cabbage roll, sauerkraut with bacon. It as superb and as good as anything I've had in eastern Europe. I wish I would have had more time to sample other items. The main and a tea was $23, a bargain for such a nice sit-down place.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Visited on a Friday evening around 6 pm. Restaurant was mostly empty except for one or two other small groups which was concerning for a Friday evening. Servers were attentive and trying. Ordered the German Bier Cheese with "fresh baked pretzels" which were disappointing. The cheese was ok but lacked much beer taste and the pretzels were an insult. Was a basket with what looked to be day old or older baked pretzels that were evidently reheated in a microwave that were shriveled up. The basket was also filled with what looked to be store bought pretzel twists and cut up marbled rye bread. Nothing here was fresh as advertised.
We were disappointed as red cabbage and one other side dish were crossed and seemed to be no longer offered. For dinner we ordered the Sauerbraten, gouda chicken, and beef stroganoff. The gouda chicken was the better of the three dishes and was served with boca and gouda on top. Cooked well and tender. Sauerbraten was ok, but a little overcooked and dry. Sauerkraut served with it was alright and had rye seed incorporated in it which was a different variation. The beef stroganoff was tasteless, tough to chew, and had a grey color that was unappealing. Seasoning with salt and pepper from the table did little to help its bland taste profile. It made me concerned that this may also be the old leftovers from previous days cooking just because it did not seem fresh again, and based on the lack of clientele and our experience with the pretzels.
I have been to German and European eateries that far surpassed the quality of food here and was hoping for better results. A total disappointment. Seems that much here is prepared days ahead of time and the enthusiasm in the kitchen is lacking.

Date of visit: August 2018