“Not what I expected..”

Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Jay's Seafood Restaurant has been family owned and operated for 41 years. Specializing in fresh seafood, steaks and fine wine at reasonable prices. Our story is rich in history. During the period ranging into the late 1800's, Dayton was one of the leading areas in the nation for flour milling. One of these mills, located on the Miami Erie Canal, was known as the Joseph Kratochwill Dayton Corn and Grist Mill. This building was constructed in the 1850's. Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight you are dining in the former Dayton Corn and Grist Mill.. In 1882, James Jacob Ritty opened the Pony House Restaurant. He commissioned wood carvers from Barney and Smith Car Works to turn 5,400 pounds of Honduras Mahogany into a bar. The fruit of their labors is the bar you now see standing in Jay's. Join us seven nights a week for a great dining experience
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Not what I expected. I took my girlfriend here for Valentine's Day and they were out of everything we want it. On a busy time like this how can you be out of steak and other Seafood. What we did get was so so the calamari was overcooked and our food came out lukewarm. I will not be going here again.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

Is Jay's crab legs! and legs I got, wrapped in hot towels in a basket, awaiting the butter, prepared and cracked to perfection so that all I needed was my teeny fork and my fingers to enjoy.. well.. actually I should have used the fork more but I was too anxious to devour my feast! as much as I wanted to, I could not finish the royal serving and took a full box for a next day crab salad, It was Awesome! everything was perfect and the service was A1 as usual.. all the way to my complimentary ice cream ball with candle brought for 4 of us. Wonderful evening.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

jay's is worthwhile visiting if only for the bar. It is a 19th bar, had carved wood and leather, about 50 feet long. The two bartenders have been there for decades and they actually know how to mix drinks. Make sure you have time for a drink at the bar before dinner.

Jay's is uneven. I ordered a combo shrimp and oysters. The shrimp were good but the coating on the oysters was soggy rather than crisp. I have had salmon, sea bass and other fish here and they were outstanding. Usually the service is good, but this time the waiter seemed overwhelmed. We had to wait 20 minutes to get our bill.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

The waitress was really nice, but the food was average at best. Anyone who has lived near a coast would certainly agree. My food was served burnt black and crispy. Fortunately the waitress was nice and asked to replace the item and offered something else. We declined, but she took it off the tab. Kudos on the restuarant for owning this error. The atmosphere would probabaly be best enjoyed by those over 60 years in age. Also, diversity in the customer demographic is highly unbalanced. This is not something that I would notmally comment on, but we felt the looks we were getting from other diners were odd as one of the two couples who werent in the majority and we felt this almost immediately. The server and host treated well just like anywhere else.

The wine list is fantastic. Great selection and probably one of the best we have seen in this area.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

I had the lobster seafood platter. it had cod, scallops, shrimp and lobster tail so fresh that it tasted like it had just been caught. I also had oysters to start and they wee fresh and delicious. We didn't expect to have such good seafood in Dayton Ohio but we did! They have lots of other things including steak on the menu and I am sure it is all good. Our waitress was very friendly and responsive. It's a casual atmosphere with good food. An added bonus is it's in the Oregon historic district of Dayton so we strolled around there after dinner. I highly recommend doing that too!