“Incredible! Seafood is as good as Cape cod's!”

Jay's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 809 Restaurants in Dayton
Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Jay's Seafood Restaurant has been family owned and operated for 41 years. Specializing in fresh seafood, steaks and fine wine at reasonable prices. Our story is rich in history. During the period ranging into the late 1800's, Dayton was one of the leading areas in the nation for flour milling. One of these mills, located on the Miami Erie Canal, was known as the Joseph Kratochwill Dayton Corn and Grist Mill. This building was constructed in the 1850's. Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight you are dining in the former Dayton Corn and Grist Mill.. In 1882, James Jacob Ritty opened the Pony House Restaurant. He commissioned wood carvers from Barney and Smith Car Works to turn 5,400 pounds of Honduras Mahogany into a bar. The fruit of their labors is the bar you now see standing in Jay's. Join us seven nights a week for a great dining experience
Reviewed 15 May 2018

I had the lobster seafood platter. it had cod, scallops, shrimp and lobster tail so fresh that it tasted like it had just been caught. I also had oysters to start and they wee fresh and delicious. We didn't expect to have such good seafood in Dayton Ohio but we did! They have lots of other things including steak on the menu and I am sure it is all good. Our waitress was very friendly and responsive. It's a casual atmosphere with good food. An added bonus is it's in the Oregon historic district of Dayton so we strolled around there after dinner. I highly recommend doing that too!

Reviewed 4 May 2018

Restaurant brings in fresh seafood and had three options for Walleye, not many places would have this offering in Ohio. Mine was Pecan crusted and delicious. Service was friendly and tremendous. Wine selection was great and a very good appetizer list ( many options could make a meal). slightly overpriced for the city of Dayton

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

We had 14 people in our group, and service was top notch. The pepper crusted tuna special was more of a salty spices crust than pepper, and the salt overpowered the tuna. Get the wedge salad—I’m still savoring the flavors! The red potatoes were done perfectly and buttered. We got the calamari appetizer baked, and it might have been better fried (it’s calamari steak sliced). The oysters Rockefeller were skimpy on the oysters, but the clams were nice and meaty. The fried oysters were heavily breaded. I must say, the atmosphere is festive, and the place was packed!

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My friend and I were out for girls night out and decided to try jays since it had been awhile sincerely I d been there. We got the shrimp and scallops and the were the BEST EVER!!!!! This is a must for excellent freshly flown in fish that same week! No frozen fish here! It’s fresh fish or it’s not served! TheBEST FRESH FISH AROUND!!!!! In a a very quaint, classy setting. Service A++++. Perfect for that first date or a family gathering. It’s a win, win !!! Enjoy!!

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

We had dinner at Jay’s Seafood on a Friday. The place is always packed so make reservations or plan to wait. We didn’t have reservations but got seats at the bar; it’s a full service bar so it worked for us. The place has an open concept so it’s great for family dinners or Friday get togethers.... the tables are close together so it might not be the place if you want something more intimate. I highly recommend the clam chowder and the salmon en croute! Service and food was on point and they validate parking :-)

Been to Jay's Seafood Restaurant? Share your experiences!