“Great for a visitor”

Shogun Steak House
Ranked #486 of 1,714 Restaurants in El Paso
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Reviewed 20 July 2017

This place is the Benny Hannas of El Paso. I take visiting relatives thee, which surprises them that we would go to a Japanese place and not Steak or Mexican. The food is good, the atmosphere is good and the show is what it is all about.
High priced but worth the occasional visit and definitely when you have out of town visitors.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

The food was quite good, the sushi could have been better constructed but overall pleased with the food. The service was a little bit slow but there were a lot of parties going on. The selection of sushi is quite interesting and impressive. The prices are reasonable. Parking is adequate. It does compete with Benihana

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

The atmosphere and staff are very authentic at Shogun. Our waitress was very nice and informed so much on the menu and answered all of our questions regarding specifics to the menu. We sat at the hibachi (forgive me if I'm wrong or my spelling is off) grill which is such a cool experience where the chef prepares the meal right in front of you. The food was very good!

Reviewed 11 May 2016

The food here is just average - not great, but not terrible. My sushi roll fell apart. The shrimp tempura for the roll was pre-made, so it was not as crispy as it could be. But the flavors were quite nice. Also note that this place does not have a full bar - beer, wine, and sake only.

Reviewed 3 September 2015

I have a little secret to tell you. How many Japanese restaurants do you know? I've been to just about every tepanyaki restaurant in El Paso, amongst a plethora of others outside of El Paso, and believe me when I say that this restaurant knocks every other one out of the park when it comes to combined value and quality at lunch. True, most tepanyaki is supposed to be done during dinner, but when can you find the full value of dinner served at lunch? Sometimes, if you are lucky, you can get a semi show during lunch (ie, the volcano), but that's aside the main point I want to make. I really like dining at this restaurant during lunch because there is nowhere else where you can you get a daily lunch special cooked on a tepan grill for less than $13.00 a plate, especially when those portions are the equivalent of a dinner meal. To put that into perspective, you can get two full meals here at lunch for the same cost to cover a portion of a single meal, at dinner, at another tepanyaki restaurant. This covers value.

Quality. It is delicious. In every sense of what that word means to you, and how you are imagining that word in your mind right now, that is this restaurant. I've done El Paso's Koze, Japanese Kitchen (when it was in business), and Hayashi tepanyaki restaurants, and I want to put the comparison like this. My experiences here, at Shogun's, when compared to the others, put this restaurant on par with what I'll assume is considered the best in El Paso: Koze, if not better. If I was to try and scale this with a Benihana, I'd say it is very similar in terms of main meals. The rice is [slightly] different, but the rice here is nonetheless excellent, and what I would judge as equivalent to a Benihana despite the initial immediate difference in taste.

Service. The staff works efficiently, and they do try to bond with the customers. This is a plus. Sometimes at tepanyaki restaurants you will have chefs that try to talk to the customers, be friendly, etc., but to be honest with you, there is something different about the chef's here. It may just be an individual's personality, it might be something in a work contract, but it's interesting to say that I have had more authentic conversations with the chef's here than I have had at many numerous other tepanyaki restaurants. I believe this is an excellent quality for any restaurant, and I am happy to say that this restaurant does exceed that expectation, for me. It might be different on your visit, but mine literally was an experience worth writing about.

In addition to these points, the restaurant does have a sushi bar and I haven’t had a lot of sushi to make an accurate judgment. I was very satisfied with the limited amount of sushi that I did have here, however, I don’t have expertise to compare the sushi to what is and what is not good sushi.

Overall, this is an excellent restaurant to eat at, especially during lunch. If you are looking for generous portions at an excellent value, this is my little secret to you.

Been to Shogun Steak House? Share your experiences!