“They Have Uni (Sea Urchin)!”

Riyoma Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #203 of 1,714 Restaurants in El Paso
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Well it is hard to find good Sushi but this is my go to place on the Eastside of El Paso.

Friendly service, restaurant packed with hungry patrons. Maybe 15 min wait for Sushi only because there where numerous orders ahead of mine.

Sat at the Sushi Bar and watched the TV behind the bar.

The Squid Salad was fantastic with a slight hint of ginger.

Everything was delicious.

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

We sat at sushi bar and we're very very pleased with the variety and quality if the items the chef prepared for us.. the volcano roll with scallops was beyond delicious..sushi chef (owner?) Was very engaging and made experience a great one..if anyone wants. Break from great Mexican food ElPaso offers...go here

Reviewed 6 July 2017

I truly love sushi that is served in the traditional way, and Riyoma does that very well. In fact, the itamae (sushi chef) has studied the original and ancient methods, back to the very first versions in the RyuKyu islands. This little bit of history is a fantastic tidbit and one of the reasons I always try to engage the itamae in conversation. That makes the visit worth it all by itself.

And the food was excellent. They did not have toro (fatty tuna) or mirugai (giant clam), but that is not unusual. But they did have uni (sea urchin), which I do not care for and passed on this time around (again).

I ordered the usual drinks - Kirin Ichiban (Japanese lager - high quality), and junmai ginjo sake - this particular type being Hakutsuru (white crane), which is smooth and floral and a little sweet - an excellent combo for my taste.

After the first round of food - miso soup (excellent), unagi (fresh water eel - always my starter), maguro (tuna), hamachi (yellow tail), and tako (octopus), I was very satisfied. But I still wanted to taste a few others, but did not want to have to order 5 pcs of each - just too much food. So the itamae offered to let me have one piece of each and charged me accordingly - and THAT seals the deal with me! THAT is great customer service. So I had one each of the sake (salmon), hokigai (surf clam), and hotategai (scallop). Everything was absolutely perfect.

Then he went over the top and off the menu, which many itamae will not do. I prefer to end this type of meal with a spicy, crunchy temaki (hand roll) with tuna or similar fish. Since they are going off the menu, I simply give general ideas about what I like and let them create something unique based on their experience. He nailed it! To the maguro he added 3 or 4 sauces (sriracha, Japanese spicy mayo, and two others I do not remember), which combined perfectly to give flavor and spice. The crunch, which is usually added with tempura flakes, was actually masago (small red salmon roe/eggs). Again, over the top, and one of the top 3 hand rolls of all time.

The combination of great food, great conversation, and personalized service give Riyoma the highest possible marks from me. And the price was VERY reasonable, which is just an added bonus, because I would have gladly paid another 30% and been perfectly satisfied. So I just made it up in the tip! ;>~

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

This is the real deal. The food was excellent and prepared by a professional sushi chef. Everything was exceptionally fresh. The tempura vegetables and shrimp were perfect. The restaurant was very clean with a nice atmosphere. This restaurant is pricy though so come ready to drop some cash. There were a couple of negative points I must mention. They were understaffed and the waitress was literally running back and forth and the portions were a little small for the price. Overall, I would recommend and I would visit again.

Reviewed 26 August 2015 via mobile

It has been over a year since we have eaten at riyoma. No major changes, one of the best Japanese restaurants in El Paso; the menu is extensive for both kitchen prepared meals as well as varied sushi menu. The recipes seem to date back 10 years to the orginial Japanese owners, none better in town. The food is served with a smile, hot or cold as appropriate, although you might have to wait for sushi if it is busy, but that's to be expected since the sushi is prepared fresh when you order. Sushi is not dry and the ingredients are always fresh. Prices are in line with other Japanese restaurant in town. The only shortcoming is the male restroom, it needs more than just another coat of paint. Fixtures are in need of replacement and some odor control would be welcomed. Riyoma is great place to eat, we look forward to returning soon.