“Red Lobster-The Good,The Bad & The Ugly”
Review of Red Lobster

Red Lobster
Ranked #76 of 1,709 Restaurants in El Paso
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stopped for lunch at the Red Lobster located in the Cielo Vista Mall parking lot and it turned out to be quite an experience.First off,it was about 2pm after the lunch rush and the restaurant appeared to only be about one third full so we were surprised that we did not get a table right away.There were also others waiting for tables in a nearly empty dining room.After about 5 minutes we were seated,brought our drinks and the orders were taken.It took anther 5 minutes for the salads to arrive-so far,so good.The food took almost 26 minutes to arrive which was another surprise considering the place was not busy.I ordered the Ultimate Feast which includes crab legs and this is where it gets ugly.I don't know if they separate the legs from the crab in house or if that is how they are purchased but upon looking at the cluster it appeared that there was lung tissue still stuck to it.Any seafood aficionado knows that eating the lungs will make you very ill so I pointed this out to the waiter who eventually brought out replacements.I requested to speak with the manager who finally made her way to the table after about 10 minutes.I pointed out the excess tissue still attached and explained to her that someone who was not as saavy about enjoying crab could easily end up eating what looked like lungs and end up very sick.I also suggested that the chef could possibly become more involved in quality control before the food leaves the kitchen.I did not asked to be comped a free meal but surprisingly she took it off the check and even threw in a free dessert which was very nice.Overall it turned out to be an enjoyable lunch but the lesson learned was inspect your seafood .

Date of visit: January 2013

Reviewed 12 December 2012

I usually make my restaurant reviews primarily based on the food. The food at this location on the far east side of El Paso was typical Red Lobster, just like you'd find anywhere. It was "average" and what you would expect. My rating here is based on the experience.

This location is in a highly-populated area, with a lot of new business growth and expansion. The wife and I crave some seafood now and then since we're in the desert. My antenna went up immediately when we got to the restaurant. Other restaurants in the large shopping area were packed with diners, and the Red Lobster lot had lots of parking. We went inside, and there was a couple with a small child waiting on the bench by the Hostess. She greeted us, and we requested to be seated in the bar area to avoid noisy and crying children - it had been a long day. She said they weren't serving in the bar. There are maybe five booths in the bar with tableware. There was a bartender and no-one else - we usually encounter folks enjoying a happy-hour drink, but the whole area was vacant. Then the Hostess said it would be a 5-minute wait. I looked in the main restaurant area, and counted 12 empty tables in my view.

It took about 5-minutes to seat the couple that was waiting when we arrived, and we waited almost 10-minutes longer - they had to clean a table that someone just vacated rather than seat us at one of the many empty tables. My antenna was vibrating. When seated, it was another 5-minutes for the waitress to arrive and take our drink order. We ordered two brews from the bar, and waited, and waited. It took 15 minutes to get the drinks. In the interim, another group was seated in a table behind us. When she brought our drinks, she had a water jug and went to take the other table's drink order, then proceeded to take their dinner order also. She eventually came back to take our order. We had been seated for one hour, and had only been served the salad. We were talking of leaving and finding fast food when our order arrived. Fortunately it was hot and the meal acceptable.

while there, several waitstaff were wandering around slowly cleaning carpets and making table set-ups. We could only see three staff taking and serving food. It was like watching a bad movie in slow-motion. Nobody seemed angry, and apologies abounded for the wait time. All in all, it took 1-1/2 hour to eat in a nearly empty restaurant.

Obviously, there is a major problem with the Manager, or lack thereof. Whether they had a problem with the kitchen staff or just didn't care, the impression was dismal. We decided that we would not be returning to this particular establishment. If you want a L-E-I-S-U-R-E-L-Y meal, this is the place for you. For me, I'll pass.

Date of visit: December 2012
Reviewed 19 November 2012

My husband and I have started going to the Red Lobster on the Gateway for our "date night" and love the food and hospitality. The staff is friendly and fast. The food is wonderful, served in a timely manner and it is a good value for your money. Nice restaurant for families, couples, or groups of friends. Go early to beat the dinner crowd.

Date of visit: November 2012
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We went to this restaurant for dinner this evening. The restaurant was dark and almost empty, yet there was a queue of people waiting for a table! When we eventually got to our table, and unusually for Red Lobster, it took a long time for a server to come over and take our drinks order. A Diet Coke and water arrived. However, after some excuse about a bottle being almost empty and about needing to find another, the wine eventually arrived after about 20 minutes! My starter of soup arrived after about 40 minutes, served on its own, my husband's starter nowhere to be seen. I finished my soup, still no starter for my husband. Eventually after 50 minutes waiting for his starter, my husband called for the manager. By coincidence, his starter was actually served at the table at same time as the manager arrived. We explained that it was totally unacceptable for my husband to wait 50 minutes for his starter, compounded by our being told much earlier that our salads were on the way. We never saw a salad! So, not only did it take 50 minutes to get my husband's starter, but also I had already finished mine some time ago. Unless I am mistaken, the general idea in a restaurant is for both parties to eat their courses at the same time. This was the worst service we have ever received. We have never walked out of a restaurant before, but felt more than justified in doing so this time. We offered to pay for our drinks but were told this would not be necessary. This generosity was the only good thing I can think to say about any part of this experience. DON'T GO TO THIS RESTAURANT!!

Date of visit: November 2012
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We enjoyed the latest feature of 4 choice meal with soup, salad, main course and dessert. The clam chowder was excellent as were the seafood hot dishes. The key lime pie is very good too.

Date of visit: June 2012