“Excellent Authentic Japanese Food”

Matsuharu Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #300 of 1,681 Restaurants in El Paso
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

This place is the real deal! Authentic flavors, sounds, style. We loved it!!
Service was great and I could tell by the many Japanese clientele that this was a popular place.
Only thing!!! Cash only!!!

Reviewed 13 March 2017

First, lets get the unpleasantries out of the way? The Restaurant's exterior could use some freshening up and the interior is "cozy" but certainly not elegant. The location *seems* questionable at first blush, but is actually in a safe and fenced in area. It is cash only, and the waits are what I would "normally" call excessive.

So, why do I give it 5 stars? Quite simply because in El Paso, there is not a single Japanese restaurant that even comes close to Matsuharu in authenticity, Food presentation, Value, friendliness, and darn out hospitality. Yes, it is THAT GOOD!

After reading the many reviews both here and elsewhere, I decided to go against what would for me at least, be sufficient grounds for going elsewhere, and take my wife to dinner here. I warned her beforehand, "Don't expect to get your dish expediently, but be prepared to be served a dish that is WELL WORTH the wait." As she knew what to expect, we sipped on Tea and "Nihon no Biru" (Japanese beer) while we waited for our dinner.

The staff was extremely friendly and courteous, and apologized for what they must have thought was excessive time for us, for our meal to be served. I assured them that all was well. So, we waited. And waited a little more.

But then, our Miso soup arrived. I have never been to Japan, and cannot say with certainty how this Miso soup would compare to Miso in japan....but in comparison to what I have had here in town, this Miso soup was simply without par. It's freshness and aroma immediately set it apart. One sip, and my wife who is not a big Miso Soup afficianodo exclaimed. "This is delicious!" Yes, it was. I savored each spoonful as I closed my eyes and imagined myself in Kyoto or Tokyo. Ahh....

Our main course was brought out right after, and again, both my wife and I were soon enjoying the best Chicken Katsu we have ever had! We both just love this place, and will be return customers!

Long wait? Yes, but well worth it!!

Inconvenience of having to pay with cash? Yes, but the authenticity and value more than outweigh the minor inconvenience of stopping by at an ATM for cash!

Please, if you are in El Paso...TRY THIS PLACE!! It simply has no equal here in town!!

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

You won't find any Japanese restaurant any better authentic than this. This is coming from one whose has spent 16 years in Japan and my wife who is also Japanese.

Reviewed 31 December 2015 via mobile

Love the ramen here! It's one of the best ramen we ever tasted in USA! Believe me, when comes to ramen we are the expert! Try the hot and spicy miso ramen, it's the bomb! And their gyoza is the best too! But make sure you bring cash as they don't accept credit cards! And you need to be patient as they are understaffed. But it's worth the wait.

Reviewed 9 May 2015 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended by a coworker. We went for dinner and tried their noodle dish, which was great. This was a great recommendation. We can't wait to come back to try their other items.