“Strange vibe ”

Cuisines: Sushi
Description: great food....very fresh
Description: great food....very fresh
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

We stopped in here for a drink and sushi one evening and sat at the bar. The hostess was very friendly and welcoming, but the staff didn’t seem too friendly towards one another. Our server was okay, but there was no conversation. She did what was only required for the job. Basic. The food was pretty good, but wine pours were short. Overall, the atmosphere didn’t make us feel welcomed.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

I wasn't expecting total greatness from this place (El Paso is in the middle of the desert, so good raw fish is hard to come by), but the food here was a little underwhelming. I got the Rainbow Roll, and was disappointed when I got my roll to see there was cream cheese in it, which wasn't listed ok the menu. The rice was underseasoned, and the avocado added little taste.

Our waiter was friendly and attentive, so no problems there. The music, however, was super loud when we got there (and not really classy sushi place music -top 40 hits). We asked our waiter if someone could turn down the music, and he quickly obliged, which was nice. There were also 6 TVs in the place, which is a little weird for a sushi place.

Overall, the food was just okay, the wait staff were friendly, and the atmosphere was a bit distracting.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 7 February 2017 via mobile

If you have never eaten sushi then your experience may be very positive if you go to this local UTEP restaurant. The bar is well stocked and the atmosphere is welcoming with pictures of modern rock heroes on the walls and a television overhead.
The sushi rolls pander to an audience that is used to fast food, adding cream cheese and fried options to each roll. Additionally, shrimp is a staple to 97% of the roll options. This is problematic for some religions and shell fish allergies. However, the upside is that one can ask for zero shrimp - but the price will remain the same.

If you are familiar with sushi then the disappointment will be real. The fish is rubbery and the amount of unagi in the rolls is dismal. I literally took one apart to find a sliver of skin about 1/16th of an inch long.

Pictures included below.

The saving grace for this place is the passion the sushi chef exhibits. The guy genuinely cares about his work. Furthermore, staff is outgoing, helpful, friendly.

What seems to be missing is leadership with sushi experience. Clearly the restaurant has little to no idea that their product is missing the sushi mark.

On some level that makes the place charming, right?

Go there with friends for sake bombs. Stay for the happy hour but don't take a date that has lived in San Francisco, NYC, LA, or Miami
Long enough to know great food.

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank Monica_Riehl
Reviewed 14 April 2016

The waitperson was very cordial.

There was no greeter. I spoke only with one person the entire visit.

The chairs were uncomfortable and the table rocked on uneven legs.
I explained to the server that I did not eat shellfish of any kind, nor did I eat any seafood except for tuna and salmon
What I ordered: vegetarian fried rice, tuna wrap and the Philadelphia roll.
What I got: beef and shrimp fried rice, tuna wrap with large pieces of crab and no Philadelphia roll.
I was also charged extra for "substitutions" because I didn't want any of the shellfish (which I received anyway). I would have been happy to pay the extra, but was never asked.

Date of visit: April 2016
2  Thank jill93
Reviewed 18 December 2015

went there for dinner after work to try another sushi place after our favorite one closed. It was alright, kind of pricey for the amount-size of rolls you get. service was okay. will go try another one that is closer.

Date of visit: November 2015

Been to Sushi Place? Share your experiences!