All reviewsbistro foodfront desk staffeasy accesstwo nightshot tubfreewaylobbypropertybedspassingutah
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

This will be my first poor review of a Marriott brand hotel. My wife and I booked a room at this hotel as we normally try and stick with either Marriott or Hilton brand Properties. This place was great. Check in was pleasant, room was easy to get to, everything appeared to be clean and what you would hope to get when you book a hotel room. Unfortunately around 5:00am things began to change.

Now the room we were provided was a handicap accessible room, Room 209... I noticed that the shower had no lip to retain the water however it did have a second drain located in the middle of the bathroom. Makes sense as water will likely leave the main shower area. You would think this drain would not be an issue however once 5:00am rolled around, I began to notice a noises of water gurgling as toilets from other rooms adjacent were being flushed. Then a strong pungent odor of what I discovered to be sewer gas began to fill the room. I turned on the bathroom fan and closed the door to the bathroom which seemed to resolve the issue at least temporarily. I foolishly didn’t act on this right at that moment. Then a little later once I decided to start getting ready, again the sounds of toilets flushing and sewer smell returned. I called the front desk and asked to speak with the manager and a gentleman by the name of Michael answered the phone stating he was the desk manager or what have you. I explained the situation and he listened, however the only resolution he was willing to provide was “I will let our engineer know” without even an apology or else how can we make things better for you. Just seemed very cold and uncaring to what I felt was a significant situation...

Upon check out, I had talked to Michael again about the situation and he seemed all confused, stating “yeah, I wrote it down to be checked out” then said “wait, I wrote down room 210, but you were in room 209?”. Honest mistake I suppose but again, not even an apology or how can we make things better. I explained that I feel the need to pass this on to someone else, thinking to myself, perhaps the Health Department as people shouldn’t have to worry about sucking in potentially toxic sewer gas smell in their sleep. One comment I did throw in to Michael as he appeared disinterested is that there is absolutely no way no one else has stayed in that room and not noticed that smell, and that I believe that room should not be rented until that is resolved. His answer was “we hardly ever put people in that room”. I’m thinking to myself, great answer. I felt completely blown off with my complaint to Michael and am truly considering taking this up further. I hope you resolve this issue before you cause someone to get sick.

I’m not chasing after any freebies here. I felt this was a legitimate issue and complaint and did not feel that I was heard. We will see where this review goes with Marriott, specifically the Cedar City, UT Courtyard location. If you stay here, avoid being put in room 209.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank firedogdjw
Sharon F, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cedar City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Thank you for the review. I would like to apologize for the lack of attention that you were given about your concerns with room 209. I have passed along your comments to both Michaels immediate supervisor and also our maintenance department about the issue. I would like to offer to give us another try. Could you please reach out to me at Sharon@safarihospitality.com so that I may reach you to discuss further.

Sharon

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Room was nice and clean. Fairly comfortable bed. Deal breaker was the shower. After a long day of driving and hiking in Bryce Canyon all I wanted to do was take a hot shower and relax. The water only gets warm at best. I’m sorry but how can a hotel not have hot water. Ridiculous.

Stayed: April 2018
1  Thank NDIrishSteeler
Sharon F, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cedar City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thank you for your review. Our water is set at the proper settings but do realize that some guest do want to take hotter showers unfortunately this cannot be adjusted for each guest needs. I hope that we provided you with good service during your stay and hope you will consider us again.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night and were very pleased. Check-in and checkout were both fast and easy and friendly service. I am gluten free and wanted to toast my bread for sandwiches for the next day on the road and the kitchen was most accommodating to help me out with this. Room was spacious with a super comfy king bed. We will be back to the Courtyard Cedar City next time we are passing through.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Sharon F, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cedar City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Thank you for your nice review. We hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Really enjoyed getting a good night's sleep after a stressful day. Beds are comfortable, rooms are accessible and the elevators conveniently located behind the front desk, so a cheery hello from the front desk staff every time you enter or leave the hotel. Handicapped parking is located close to the doors. Very much enjoyed the fried Brussel Sprouts from the small Bistro across the lobby.

Stayed: March 2018
Sharon F, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Cedar City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you for your nice review. We hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My wife, three children and I stayed here two nights and this Courtyard definitely feels great. Especially as a pit stop on a road trip. One small anecdote is that I woke up really early one morning and did some work in the lobby. Samantha was at the reception and took really good care of me checking in on anything I needed.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your great review. We hope you will visit again soon.