10,548 results
All reviews grand central station cozy queen new york times square madison avenue lobby bar rockefeller center hotel is in a great location empire state few blocks nyc midtown subway starbucks broadway jfk
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Stayed 2 nights in a 17th floor room. No climate control; the room was hot even with the radiator turned off. There was only one window in the room, with an a/c unit in it, so couldn't open the window and had to turn the a/c on instead to cool the room. Air conditioner was very noisy. Window grimy, which made the room even darker. The only closet too shallow for coat hangers to hang straight. Tiny bathroom with 1 small shelf and no counter space; shower temperature valve half broken and bad water pressure...
Very limited bathroom amenities - no shower cap, etc... But hotel location is very good.

Date of stay: March 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank ml1
Reviewed 1 March 2011

The Roosevelt in New York is an old lady of a hotel. Palatial lobby, old lifts and rooms that have seen several layers of paint over the years. It's not a crisp modern hotel. We stayed here for four nights but only used it as a place to sleep as we were out for over 14 hours each day.

Overall we found it to be fine, clean with big comfy bed. There were a few minor problems, window wouldn't quite shut properly so a little noisy but slept out of exhaustion anyway, and... oh - that was it.

Had a drink in the bar one evening which was a little expensive but on a par with similar establishments. Location was perfect, easy walk to many sights or the subway for further afield.

New York is a full on city with so much to see and do. I would recommend the Real New York tours for walking tours which are far better than they sound. I also recommend you buy your Empire State Tower tickets online before your visit to jump the very long ticket queues. We ate at the Gubba Shrimp restaurant in Times Square one evening, very nice - lively with great food and service. We found service from restaurants to be great, some shops weren't so good and public establishments such as train stations to be poor - no eye contact from the blaze gum chewing guy in Grand Central. Enjoy !

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank julianp-uk
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed at the Roosevelt in May 2010, the room was clean and fairly big with two very comfortable double beds. The bathroom was very small and needed updating but did the job. The only bad point was that the room was quite dark - being in New York and surrounded by other buildings meant there was little natural light and half the lights in the room didn't work so perhaps needs a bit of TLC. The hotel itself was lovely though with a nice lobby bar downstairs - but very expensive drinks! I was disappointed by the rooftop bar, again very expensive drinks and having seen pictures on the website we expected a better atmosphere. I wouldn't go back to the rooftop bar but I would stay in the hotel again. The location was great, short walk to Times Square and close to Grand Central with (mostly) helpful and polite staff.

Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ames_6
Reviewed 27 February 2011

The Roosevelt Hotel was perfectly situated for all the activities that we managed to fit into our five day stay. Yes it is an older hotel that has seen brighter shinier days but it is welcoming and has a clean, well cared for homeyness about it. The room size was large enough for my daughter and I, both who have a tendency to sprawl out especially after shopping. I walk and this location allowed me see Central Park, the MET and Guggenheim as well as the surrounding neighborhoods. Times Square with the ticket office for Broadway shows and the hop on off bus was a very very short walk. We walked to our shows in the Theater district in the evening and for dinner as well.... That being said, cabs were quick rides to get us out of the midtown area for dinners and brunch, and shopping in the downtown areas. I think the high volume of airline crews coming and going, staying at the hotel speaks well for the hotel standard. I am a fanatic about bugs and did a check, a proper check for bedbugs in our room which includes dismantling the headboards from the wall, taking out drawers from bedside table as well as the usual mattress check with an LED flashlight. My daughter a frequent nyc visitor, laughed about my bug drill but I rested easy finding no bug poo nor bugs- but they had used a bug dust. There were dust bunnies under the bed and a few left behinds from previous tired tourists. The service was just fine, no one was rude but quite the opposite. I guess you get what you give. The beds were comfortable and when the heat was a bit much we opened the window and it cooled the room perfectly. The only thing that could have improved my stay at The Roosevelt would have been to have a great breakfast place nearby..... otherwise it was absolutely a perfectly fine hotel to use as home base and would return without an hesitation. ***Roosevelt you really should have free WiFi not pay per day***

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank YEGtogo
Reviewed 27 February 2011

No Hotel deserves a good rating where the staff doesn't care about the guest. When we made the reservation on their web site, they have a space for you to make additional comments about any preferences you have while you stay there. We specifically stated that it was our son's 13th birthday and all we wanted was a nice view of the city. We got a roof top. It was laughable. At least a response stating that they didn't have such a room would have been an indication that they cared about you.

Staff was also very rude. Don't tell me that it's too difficult to be nice! We knew right away this hotel was not friendly so we canceled our second night and stayed at the 10 times better Hilton! Went down to the bar in the lobby the next morning to grab some quick breakfast and had to remind them 3 times about the hot chocolate I ordered and paid for. I even had to stir the powdered drink myself because they were too interested in the next patron. Couldn't sit down to eat because EVERY table had garbage on it from the last person that sat there. NOBODY cared at all about the cleanliness of the hotel or the service which was almost non existent. Maybe it's because I was an American. All staff were foreigners, and so were most of the guests. Too bad if you don't like that comment, but that's the way it was. Not the first experience with that. Don't support any place that treats you like this place did. They will never change otherwise. Went to the Hilton Times Square and let me tell you, it was magnificent. We all had a good experience there. They couldn't help you enough!! Get with it Roosevelt! With a beautiful Lobby like that, it should represent how you treat your guests!

• Trip type: Travelled with family