10,347 results
All reviews grand central station cozy queen new york times square madison avenue lobby bar rockefeller center hotel is in a great location empire state few blocks nyc midtown subway starbucks broadway jfk
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

So I'm just going to get right to the point & list how I feel about this hotel. I will preface this by saying I've stayed at many many hotels in 2013 alone as I travel frequently for my job. 15 trips & hotels to be exact. So I'd say I'm qualified to pass judgment on a hotel.

The good:
-location:very close to 5th Avenue & a quick walk to Times
-lobby: charming

The not so good aka bad:
-the lady at check in just seemed like she hated life. She was not personable and really didn't belong at the front desk where she is the first person I talk to
-ok people please stop confusing charming & traditional with outdated and in need of repair and a bad touch up job
-my bathroom was in need of being replaced especially the bathtub/shower area. One too many cover up touch up jobs gone wrong. It was the first time I had to think long and hard about whether I even wanted to shower. Don't worry I decided to shower
-I think the room was smaller than my college dorm room. My goodness. The only way I could fully open my suitcase was if it was on the bed.
-no dresser to unpack
-small small small bathroom with pedestal sink aka where in the world am I supposed to put my toiletries
-it is 2013, why are you charging for internet but if you have to charge why must you charge per device!
-6 elevators so why am I waiting 5± minutes for one
- the worst part: I didn't have an inside facing room so anytime I was in the room I was involuntarily subjected to an unpleasant melody of vehicle horns including a nice round at 1am! Where's the sound proofing
-I think the floor A/C heating unit was original to the hotel. I prefer central air

I only stayed here because it was very close to my event venue. The entire time I just wanted to be at the hotel brand where im an elite member.
Never again never again.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank JaiHook
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. Our most sincere apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that all of your concerns have been noted and will be immediately addressed. You are correct, guest rooms in NYC tend to be on the cozy side especially compared to other major cities and Yes, NYC is truly the city that never sleeps. Mid-town Manhattan is not for the lite-sleeper. We do offer sleeping kits (ear plugs, and eye mask) at our front desk for those guests who are not used to the sounds of the city. They are complimentary as well. Again our apologies and thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

The Roosevelt is a huge hotel and the lobby is busy all the time. The location is very good no matter if you are going uptown or downtown.
As you spend most of the day outside of your hotel in NY the room and the facilities during the evening and morning are important. Don't go for less than a "King de Luxe" room - ok size for NY (heard other guests complaint about the size of rooms).
All in all a nice stay at the Roosevelt had it not been for the ridiculously expentive rate for Wifi - for once I did not check this at time of booking - and I regret that! $14,95 per 24 hours - per device..!! It adds up after 6 nights! How far behind can a NY hotel be in 2013.?!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Thank you for your comments and review. Our deepest apologies if the wifi fees caught you off guard. We do shop other mid-town hotels to ensure that our fees remain competitive. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was good and you enjoyed your NYC experience. Again our apologies and thank you for your great feedback.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

The room was exactly as pictured. It was like they gave us that exact room. I thought the room would be noise but it wasn't at all. The location was perfect for getting around the city, it was almost across the street from Grand Central Station. The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was large but not a lot of counter space. The lobby was beautiful and very impressive.

The only cons were, the elevators took forever and only held a few at a time. Even with 6 elevators on a busy weekend we once waited for 5 elevators before we could squeeze on. Once the weekend was over it was a lot easier to get up to your room. The only other thing was wi-fi was $14 a day and the business center charged a lot to use the internet. Which when I am on vacation for myself isn't too big an issue because I don't want to be online anyway but we did have to print out tickets to an event and it cost me $5 to print (a $1 a page, plus a per minute charge). Not a huge deal for me but it may be for others.

1  Thank Tami94118

Thank you for your comments and review. Our deepest apologies for any issues you experienced regarding elevators. You are correct, we are much busier on the weekends with higher volume of guests. This can cause a slow down of our elevators and/or be somewhat crowded. However, we are happy to hear that your overall stay was great. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I work in the hotel industry in Orlando, FL and market ‘luxury hotels’. This hotel should not be referred to as a luxury hotel.

Why this hotel is not in the ‘luxury’ category; In-room specifically:
• Only AAA 3 Diamond rated
• NO central AC/Heat but instead had a wall unit that was old and not a part of the renovation. This was my #1 reason for rating this hotel 2 stars vs. 3. Not sure if this is standard for NYC hotels, but this made the room feel moldy, humid, etc…and is what you would expect in a motel.
• Florescent Lighting in bathrooms – not updated in renovation
• No Coffee Maker in-room
• No Make-up Mirror and shower curtain was cloth which soaked up the water
• Sheets – not high thread-count
• Closet was a tiny little triangle with 2 hangers
• Walls thin

The lobby is beautiful, the staff was most helpful and the location was excellent, but there were more cons than pros.
The room was small – we had a standard queen room. I expected it to be small, but not small and unpleasant. After a day in NYC you just want to go back to your room and relax; this is not a room I could get comfortable in. I was planned a romantic weekend, but this room doesn't help set the mood.
Also, I used the gym daily – it is on level 2 which didn’t appear to be updated when the renovation was done. This floor looks completely different than the other floors. I think this is where the meeting space was located. I would not recommend hosting a meeting or event here because of condition of this floor. Here, I found more florescent lighting.

I went from NYC to Las Vegas and stayed at the Bellagio – now that is a ‘newly renovated luxury hotel’ that I would recommend.

1  Thank HiltonOrlandoMgt

Thank you for your comments. Our most sincere apologies that the Roosevelt did not meet your standards. ALL of your listed concerns will be addressed. Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

The Roosevelt is an old, classic hotel that has not succumbed to the modern look. There is a great bar area in the lobby including lovely old style arm chairs and coffee tables. Very relaxing.
The room was quite small but it had all the amenities and a comfortable bed. I was a little disappointed that the cable was not HD, but I am spoiled especially watching sports.
I found the staff to be very friendly, helpful and courteous.
The location is great, on 45th and Madison. Lots of great restaurants in easy walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and review. Its always great to hear that our central location and especially, our friendly staff, help to make your stay memorable. Thanks for your great review and we look forward to your next visit.