10,355 results
All reviews grand central station cozy queen new york times square madison avenue lobby bar rockefeller center hotel is in a great location empire state few blocks nyc midtown subway starbucks broadway jfk
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This is just a quick review as I have left one before back in 2010, but I thought I would update people further with what happened to me and my girlfriend when we stayed here in Jan 2010. It was our second day of our holiday as we came for my girlfriends 21st birthday and I also planned on proposing whilst we were in NYC too and the holiday was going brilliantly. We went on a day trip to woodbury common and came back to find that someone had entered our room with a un-named key card and also tampered with our key coded safe and stole the remaining money we had left in there securely along with a mobile phone and the engagement ring for my girlfriend. The thieves took the money but left the mobile phone and the engagement ring inside the safe which to me if this was an ordinary thief I would imagine he would have taken the lot???
Anyway we contacted Security and also the NYPD. The hotel told us that they could not do anything and that they would have to go through insurance but we would 100% get our money back. We had to get money wired over which put us in debt when we got home and we ended up waiting months and constant calls and emails from england to New York continued until we got some answers. Finally the Insurance company emailed us and told us the hotel was not liable for "loss" and we received absolutely nothing.

This was truly the worse time for me and my fiancee. This hotel cost us so much money and in no way was it helpful at all. I tried to contact them but they would just ignore my emails, everytime I called no one was there. What should have been a dream holiday and 21st birthday for my girlfriend turned into a nightmare she still gets upset about to this day.

It took me to start writing about this incident on there social network sites for them to contact me and there sales and marketing director gave us a little glimpse of hope for about a week and ADMITTED that the hotel had let us down and he would do everything he can only for him to shut us down again and tell us they would not help us any further.

My advice to anyone who is going to NYC which is a fantastic city, is to avoid this hotel because it stinks of dishonesty, its staff lack integrity and in a city where dreams are made... this hotel destroyed ours with an insurance scam.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jjdarcy20
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Customer service was helpful in accommodating a double booking of the same room that hotels.com did. They also gave away my sisters room, but after talking to the manager everything was all set. The hotel was built through 1924-1928, and showed some of it age. Although, the art deco of the 20's was fabulous for me to see. Nothing great for my son. The rooms were average in quality, but needs some major updating from rust spots to decor. The regular King or double room is way to small; which my sister rented. I was bumped up to a deluxe double which gives you approximately 5' more which I think should be the minimum. The location is in good spot, being 2 blocks to Grand Central Station, and 4 blocks to Time Square. Waiting 2 days before arriving in NYC was a benefit, due to the lower of the prices to book out rooms. Valet parking is $50 a day, but worth the $10 more of self parking; which you would have to find it yourself. The valet service is a third party service, and upon bringing my vehicle back, I noticed that they scratched my new car in two spots. I fought with them shortly, but wrote a claim from them, and the hotel also wrote up a claim. I am still waiting now 2 weeks for their insurance to at least start the process.

Room Tip: Go with the minimum of a superior or deluxe room if you want to have enough room to walk around your room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
rooseveltnyc, Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Thank you for staying with us. I would like to let you know that we are due to complete our guestroom upgrade by the end of next month, which will give all of our 1, 015 roms a facelift! As for the incident with the valet, if you have not already heard back from our security department, please feel free to contact me at experts@rooseveltnyc.com to follow up. Thanks.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

First of all, the location is excellent. the bed is good. the room is average. the alarm is set at 8AM which can not be turned off. there is always noisy and weird sound coming out from the air-conditioner. At last checking out morning, the service knocked the door for 3 times from 8 o'clock, which was really bothersome. Except these small problems, the others are very good.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The rooms were somewhat small but stylish and very comfortable, which is a personal priority. The hotel is conveniently located and reasonably-priced for NYC at this time of year. Multitudes crowding the lobby with luggage lent an air of Ellis Island to the place which detracted from an otherwise elegant and festively-decorated space. The elderly and disabled should note that they must navigate a stairway of about 15-20 steps to access the lobby, front desk and elevators, and a doorman may not necessarily be available to assist with luggage. Breakfast was disappointing and not recommended, options included an unremarkable buffet at $28 p/p or ordering off the menu at exorbitant prices.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UsaAnon

Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. I wanted to address the mention of the staircase and let you know that we do in fact have an elevator on our Arcade Level that will bring guests to the lobby and Frot Desk area so they do not have to navigate the main staircase.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We were a large group and booked 4 rooms at this hotel for its included breakfast and location. Hotel was beautiful, clean and perfectly located. We had renovated rooms on the 16th floor. A/C was loud.

The only issue was with the breakfast policy. The hotel should tell you at time of booking that only two people per room are included regardless of age, this should not be in the fine print. We were also told other guests had had issues with this policy. We had one family with a 4 and 10 year old staying in a double room with their parents; which cost $20 more than the king room. The children were not included in the free breakfast, they had to pay an extra $14/child, and this adds up! So each day cost the family with small children an extra $48/night. Every other hotel we looked at, children ate free if they stayed in same room as parent. In the end, the hotel allowed the children to eat free on one day and because not all our family members from the 3 other rooms had breakfast we applied their coupons to the kids meals.

If you're booking hotel clarify this prior to booking. It ends up costing quite a bit extra for a young family.

Very frustrating and unnecessary.

• Stayed: December 2011