“Average”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #140 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I've just recently returned from NYC and stayed at the marcel. I stayed here for 4 nights with some friends. i read a lot of reviews on this place so it was pretty much what i expected.
long story short -
location - is OK. 20-30 minute walk from time square, close to the 9/11 memorial, there is also a nearby subway.
Service - on arrival the reception staff were friendly and gave us good information about places to visit etc.The door men were very nice. on departure a cab service was organised for us and they held our luggage for the afternoon after checking out.
Value - Ok for the value. we got this as part of a package deal.
Sleep quality - :O What can i say, i expected the room to be small so that wasnt such a shock, but it was slightly depressing. Should maybe have opted for the queen room instead of the standard. we had the 4th floor overlooking the road so you can imagine it was noisy at night and in the early hours of the morning. the first night was awful but i guess we got use to the remaning nights. After complaining we were told we could move on the sunday as the hotel was pretty much booked. Our friends next door to us had to move as their airconditioning wasn't working. They were moved to a room on the same floor, but overlooking an alley way and dustbins, but limited noise!
On booking with lastminute.com we were expecting a city view but obviously we never got it.Mind you, we didnt complain about this.
You could say the elevator is more spacious, lol!
There is a bar with a DJ on the ground floor. This was pretty suave, but the drinks might be expensive for some. You also need ID to get in.
When we were checking out of the hotel a group of girls were complaning about how their room was stuffy and about the noise. So i guess it was common.
The decor is lovely. I guess you could say its small and a little swanky for a 3*.
Cleanliness - clean rooms. Fresh towels and beds made everyday :)
if i was to visit NY again i probably wouldnt stay again or recommend it only because of the noise and size and it's location.
Overall i wouldnt say it was bad, but if you're a light sleeper and you like a spacious room then i would leave it.
P.s if you do stay here then try to visit the posh italian restaurant next door. looked very nice, but we never got time to visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rai112
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Rai112,

Thank you very much for posting a review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you taking the time to share you experience. I disappointed to learn that you had a few inconveniences while staying with us. I welcome the opportunity to discuss further, please contact me at nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com

Thanks again for sharing your experience and I hope to hear from you!

There are newer reviews for The Marcel at Gramercy

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed here due to a deal that got us our 3rd night free. Normally this hotel is not very cheap...it is in Manhattan after all. However, it was affordable for the last week of March. Great midtown location near Madison Square Park and the 6 was just a few blocks away on 23rd street. Getting around was very easy which was a huge plus.

If you get a standard room like we did, it will be a double bed and the room will be TINY. We didn't have a problem with that though. The only few issues we had were taken care of by the friendly staff.

We were given a room on the 3rd floor as the hotel was fully booked up, so we checked back the next day and they upgraded us to a larger room with a king bed on the 9th floor. That was much appreciated as it was very noisy at night from the street activities. Thanks for that, Marcel. The only other issue we had was the hot water was hit and miss-- the first night it was cold but they sent up a technician within 5 minutes and it was fixed!

The 10th floor lounge is awesome, the terrace is great. I'm glad there was free internet and a printer to print out maps and the like. I know there is a lounge and a restaurant in the hotel but we never went to either. Near the hotel is a Pick-a-Bagel which was great for breakfast and a few 24 hour convenience stores nearby.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a clean and friendly place to stay while in Manhattan.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor as street level noise is very loud
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear holga87,

Thank you very much for posting a review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you taking the time to share you experience. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I visited this hotel on business and wifi was critical to my trip. Unfortunately, there was no wifi in the room and even in the lobby area the network had poor reception (even at 03:00 am). Overall not a bad hotel, small rooms (but this is NY), apparently renovated, EXCEPT FOR THE A/C SYSTEM which can cause you to jump up in the middle of the night making terrible noise. Plumping also looked aged, with the bathtub filling up on every shower! The renovation has not been properly supervised as evident by poor lighting and the bathroom faucet, which almost touched the washbasin! The day is saved by the polite and very helpful staff who are trying to serve cusotmers in a hotel lacking attention by the managers. Could be an option to consider unless you need wifi in which case FORGET IT.

Room Tip: Avoid 3rd ave rooms, too noisy. Much better to face 24th st.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Adam C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Please accept my sincere apology for the various inconveniences you encountered while staying with us. Unfortunately during your stay it appears that we did have a WIFI Access Point failure on the floor you stayed on. The technical issue has since been repaired and I appreciate you bringing to our attention.

I am glad to learn that our team was receptive to your challenges and I am very sorry that we were unable to resolve before your departure.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future and if you would like to discuss your past stay please feel free to contact me at nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com

Reviewed 23 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights on a visit to NYC.

Our room was small, with a window onto a nearby wall. This said, it was well organized and the bed was comfortable.

This is a small, friendly boutique hotel, with interesting decor and a nice feel to it.

Wifi is extra, made more complicated by the third party provider. In fact, I was able to pay the internet provider, but not able to use the service. Fortunately, the staff were great and fixed me up with access.

The best feature of the hotel is the rooftop lounge, which is nicely furnished, has free internet access and has an outdoor patio with a view of both the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. Breakfast is served there and is good value a $12.95 for a very decent continental spread.

The location is great, with lots of nearby restaurants and just a few minutes walk from Midtown. Subway is a couple of blocks away.

We'd go back, for sure.

Stayed: March 2012

Dear plightfo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your stay!

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 23 March 2012

I booked a room at this price thru Priceline and was totally disappointed. It CLAIMS to be a 3 1/2 star Hotel but there is no way it is. Smallest room I have ever been in, barely enough room for the bed (which was too short...I am only 5' 10 and my feet hung over the end of the bed!)..NO closet, NO office chair, hardly ANY space in the bathroom. NO amenities at this place like a fitness center or restaurant (they tell you to go next door). Back to the Hilton Garden Inn for me....so much for "Boutique Hotels".

Room Tip: I would AVOID this motel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Scot L

Dear proffer1

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your stay.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your room. It seems as if you reserved a standard room, which does have limited space. We offer many different room types at The Marcel at Gramercy that fit a variety of budgets and would recommend that a Deluxe or Superior room is reserved if you would like a room that offers a bit more space.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon!