Washington Jefferson Hotel
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
US$208
US$200
  • Pool
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$188
US$308
US$274
US$347
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$301
US$232
Travelocity
  • Pool
US$515
US$412
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$204
US$171
Hotels.com
  • Fitness centre
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$322
US$267
  • Bar/Lounge
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$310
US$243
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$170
  • Fitness centre
1,925 results
All reviewswj hotelgreat locationtimes squarenew yorkpetite roomcentral parkhell's kitchenrooms are smallthe theater districtquiet streetsingle roomwithin walking distancefront desk staffaround the cornerstandard roomfew blockssubway station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 February 2012

My review of this hotel is colored by the fact that when I stayed there I was sick from having been caught in unexpected snow Washington DC. This hotel is within a short walking distance from Times Square, there a subway station very close by and it is reasonably priced for such a nice location (although the entrance is a bit dodge).

The rooms tough are quite small, the aircon unit kept me up when I desparately needed my sleep even after I changed rooms to a slightly bigger room and I could hear trucks in the mornings making deliveries. I got there feeling sick and left feeling exactly the same. I'm sure I'd I was healthy all these things wouldn't have mattered as much but as I was indeed sick, I really regretted forking out more for a better hotel :-(

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Stayed here recently. As mentioned in most reviews the rooms are very small, I could actually reach the wall from my side of the bed. They are basic too with nothing much but a plasma screen. The Wardrobes are small enough too so if you have loads of cases, shopping etc you will struggle for space. We were located at the front of the hotel & you can hear noise from the street, especially as they were digging up the road outside. This didn't cause us too much of an issue as we were up & at it early but if you like a lie on, no chance! The hotel does not have a bar or restaurant.

On the positive side the bathroom was quite good, good toiletries and a very good power shower. The staff were extremely friendly & I had some running jokes with them during our stay. Location wise its in an area that used to be know as Hells Kitchen. Its nice enough with a mix of residential & commercials properties around & plenty of places to eat. From Time Square its about 5-7 min walk. If anybody knows the famous Ellens Stardust Dinner (not recommended with a hangover!), come out there door & walk 2 blocks across & theres the hotel. Not a bad spot, but would not be pushed to return unless it was a great rate.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Stayed here for 1 nite, just to experience the Times Sq area. It's not right on Times Sq, thank god! It's about a 10mins walk. 10-15 min walk to a subway station. Location is ok. Rooms are super SMALL.. Seriously small. But for one nite it was ok for us, I couldn't imagine staying here for more than 2 nites, because it would have been too suffocating plus the heating and cooling didn't quite work as well, bathroom very small. I recommend it for single travelers with 1 luggage (If you have more it's a tight squeeze) and isn't planning a shopping spree, this will be perfect for you. However do your research for the money I think you can find something slightly better. Of course most things in this part of NYC is small as we have stayed in a couple of hotels in NYC before, however this was the smallest.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank msmelbs
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights on a business trip to NYC. The location and price were my main reasons for choosing it, and it could not have been more convenient to my business needs (all in midtown) and to restaurants. There is a subway stop (blue line) just around the corner, plus red, yellow, and orange trains within 2-3 blocks' walk. Plenty of eating and bars extremely close by, and the price (in January) was fantastic.

However, the overall quality could improve. The room was very small, which didn't bother me, but also very dark-- no overhead light, only two small lamps. The bathroom had ample light, and I often left the bathroom door open to better illuminate the room. Wasn't working in the room, so again, not a huge issue. My room was on the third floor facing the street, and on one night, there was significant street noise from a bar opposite. Drilling in the street directly outside starting at 9am on several mornings-- annoying, but not severe, since I was getting ready for work by then.

Bed was great, very clean and comfortable. Bathroom amenities excellent. Soft towels changed daily. No intrusive housekeeping service, but always efficient.

The hotel advertises a 24-hour fitness center, but half of the equipment was busted and unusable. Lock to hold the seat in place on the exercise bike was broken, and the treadmill had an out-of-sort, "sorry for temporary unavailability" sign on it for my entire stay. Were they making an effort to get it repaired at all? The free weight bench was not broken.

Room was a bit cold the first night, but fine all the others. The staff were very friendly, helpful, and efficient.

On the whole, I would stay here again if the price were in this range. Next time I might personally change the lightbulbs to make the room brighter, and I'll hope that weather permits exercise in the Park. I've stayed at a Holiday Inn nearby, with much bigger rooms and fewer issues, but this definitely had an even better location.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street side, if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank vonschwind
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We stayed at the Washington Jefferson as part of our honeymoon in January last year.

The staff were really friendly and always ready to help. They would follow up on things and also check if we needed help with directions or even activities for the day.

Rooms were nicely decorated though very small. There was actually no room to walk around the room with 2 luggage bags sitting together, the bags had to be opened on the bed. There was no minibar (switch I needed to store medication). A major issue with the room was the fact that we couldn't control the temperature. We were there in the middle of winter and had to leave the window open to cool the room down. It would be -10C outside but 40C inside. We complained to reception about it but there was nothing they could do as there was one control for the whole hotel and the hotel was completely booked out.

Bathroom is also small with only a sink, shower and toilet. I found it a little hard to wash my hair because the shower was so small as I lifted my arms I'd hit the side of the shower.

This hotel is in an excellent location and is walking distance to Times Square and a lot of other tourist sites.

When we book our room we also bought vouchers to get breakfast every morning. This was book through the hotel website. The hotel actually doesn't have restaurant facility so they sell voucher to a diner down the road. The food here is good but I would recommend that you go to the diner yourself without the vouchers as it works out cheaper.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple