“Connection over chicken chowder.”

Zabar Deli & Gourmet Foods
Ranked #62 of 446 Quick Bites in New York City
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed 2 December 2017

A nostalgic, Jewish style deli and market in Midtown Manhattan.
I truly enjoyed a hot panini, a bowl of chowder and wonderful conversation with randomly met New Yorkers. Reminiscing about years gone by and culinary culture of different parts of the World that we all came from made us appreciate human connection and added to a pleasure to our meal.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank JolantaF

Reviewed 12 September 2017

I always stop by when I'm in NYC for business or pleasure. This time it was for the soy cheese. Absolutely delicious. I have to figure out how to get them to ship it to me on the west coast. Love this shop. Bought plenty of goodies to take home and stuffed my suitcase whit exotic rices and basil gnocchi.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank Kac Y
Reviewed 23 August 2017

We stopped in for lunch and in all fairness, only went to the deli side and didn't go in the shop (we weren't in a position to take fun finds home with us, so avoided temptation there). The menu was a little overwhelming for me to navigate super fast, which I felt like I needed to do since the place was packed. I was still trying to choose when it was my turn to order, and ended up getting a slice of pizza and a cheese blintz. After, when I looked at more of what was in the cases, I wished I'd ordered differently.

The pizza has a crazy amount of cheese and is pretty tasty, though nearly impossible to eat without getting it everywhere. The little plastic fork was way too flimsy to help, so I just picked it up and got covered with stuff (I like messy food, so it was fine). The blintz wasn't so great, which surprised me. My friend had a ham and cheese panini and said it was decent but not great, and she would've ordered something else too. She also got a knish to try and neither of us loved it. Maybe it's the reheating that makes it a bit rubbery?

The ordering and receiving process is confusing and a little odd. You order when you hit the cases, then they tell you to go to the register to pay. We were lucky enough to find 2 seats, then waited for the food. They would mumble what the food in their hand was and unless you stayed right next to the case (which was nearly impossible with the amount of people in the tiny space) or spent time staring at the servers to read their lips, you missed your food. And the reheating took a pretty long time.

Unfortunately, I didn't even realize they had smoothies since that menu is beyond the food menus on the wall and I was trying to figure out the food part. I missed out on a smoothie but had a decent bottled lemonade.

Next time, I'd check out the store first, then go into the deli for baked goods instead of a full lunch.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Great cheeses. Amazing Olive bar. It does get crowded but it is worth navigating through the store to find all the goodies. Make sure to visit the bakery section for a great selection of pastries, breads and other treats.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Terrible coffee, bad panninis. Place is crowded and they don't give you time to think about what you want to order. We had to throw the food and the coffee to the trash. 7$ for the pannini. Not that cheap.

Date of visit: July 2017