“Internet charges!”

Ranked #189 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Internet charges!”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Comfortable room with minor problem over hot water on the first morning which was quickly fixed. Didn't find air conditioning noisy but there was noise from outside. Did not appear to be any double-glazing panels in window frames? Recent improvements obviously did not include sound-proofing. Not bothered by occasional sirens (expected) but we had two nights disturbed by a jackhammer operating in the street below despite being on 31st floor! Presumably it was emergency work? Breakfast in La Brasserie was good on our last morning. Cocktails in the bar were excellent.

Only real gripe is the complete lack of any complimentary Internet access, even in the lobby. I have never known this before. My stepson was staying in the Hilton Garden in the next block and had free access in his room and all public areas, accessed with his name and room number. Charges for us in CP would have been $10 for four hours or $20 a day! We opted out but it was inconvenient (we found free access around Times Square). There were a lot of functions going on and these charges might be reasonable for business guests on expenses needing prolonged Internet access but are completely unreasonable for tourists who just need to access email and download a newspaper once a day. Crowne Plaza should consider complimentary access (half hour?) for tourists. Staff were unfriendly when asked about this but they are probably fed up of guests complaining.

Room Tip: Ask for a "quiet room" if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for your candid comments regarding our internet charges. We appreciate your feedback. Although all full service hotels in Times Square charge for internet access, we do frequently get this question from our guests and understand the concern. I apologize that our team did not handle this situation as expected and will be sure to speak with them as great service is our standard.

My I suggest booking one of our Concierge level rooms during your next visit? These rooms include complimentary access to our lounge serving free continental breakfast and snacks daily and do include free WiFi in the guestrooms. They are also located on the top floors of the hotel and are among our most quiet.

Please let me know if I can assist with a booking. I would be happy to personally take care of it.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,019)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Considering we were staying in the middle of Times Square, I didn't quite know what to expect of our hotel. However, it was a wonderful experience from start to finish. Besides the fact that it is convenient to everything (which is why we chose it), the bedding was outstanding and the floor (23rd) was extremely quiet - not even any street noise at that level. The rooms have been updated and all of the furnishings were clean and up-to-date.

We were allowed to check-in early, and our bags were delivered to our room in minutes. We ordered room service once and it was quick and very good. All of the personnel we encountered were courteous and helpful - the security guard tracked down my camera charger and returned it to me a couple of hours after we had checked out of our room. Highly recommend the Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Always ask for a corner room - we weren't able to get one this trip but I've heard they are...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mamaleigh57
Thank you for letting us know about your heavenly stay! I am so pleased we exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

location in Time Square couldn't have been better..Hotel itself is standard nothing great but good enough. stayed for 3 nights on 32nd floor great views..at 1st there was a mix up with the rooms but soon rectified. Any inconvenience or issue with the hotel is overcome by its location..absolutley central walking distance to many of the sights. Ditch the cabs and walk along Times Square early morning before it gets too busy and again at night .. The entire place is buzzing day and night..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ask161
Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed your recent stay and our convenient location. I am pleased to read our team was able to provide you with a pleasant experience.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed mid-March and had low expectations butt…hotel is located in the center/heart of NYC. got a corner room with great city view. Hotel staff is nice and the system seems running smoothly. Only thing bothered us is that the elevators machine rooms' doors were open and it was loud at times

Room Tip: Cornet room did it for us
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for the kind review. We are so thrilled you were pleasantly surprised with our professional team and outstanding location. Please accept my apology that the door to the elevation was left open and disturbed you. This should not have happened and I will follow-up to ensure it does not occur again. Thank you for letting me know.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My wife and son and I stayed three nights at this hotel the end of March 2012. The room was awesome thanks to Sandra who made sure that our room did not get changed. We arrived early on Wednesday, Sandra said to check back with her around noon and she would try to get us in our room early. When we arrived back, it was around 3:30 and Sandra had already left for the day, and the young lady that waited on me was rude and hateful. I told her about Sandra trying to get us in early and she said, " well she is gone and it will be another 45 minutes" remembering check in is 3 pm and it is 3:30. I was not happy. Every hotel employee I seen the entire 3 days, acted like they hated their job and every customer was a pain to them. They appeared to only want to help for the tip. Wonderful view from the room, great location, just not 279.00 a night great. Just a normal hotel room. Thanks Sandra for all your help getting around the city on my first visit.

Room Tip: Check around on internet specials for good deals
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
I was extremely disappointed to read your review. Please accept my apology for the service you described. We failed to deliver the friendly service that is our normal standard. I will be working with my managers to address your concerns.

I do hope we get an opportunity to change your impression. Please contact me personally if I can assist with a future reservation.