“Fanatastic service, great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #296 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Fanatastic service, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I recently spent about 5 days at this Thompson location and it was one of the best ones I have had the pleasure of staying at. This is the 5th different Thompson property I have been to and I have to say, the staff here were definitely well ahead of all the other locations. The front desk staff were more than accommodating with check in and my room was ready for me within minutes despite the fact I had arrived early. There was no attitude whatsoever and they were probably the most friendly front desk staff I have dealt with in years. We had a few different people arriving at different times and they had no problem gaining access to the room once their names we added to to reservation, which was proactively offered by the staff. The Bellmen were also fantastic. They took the time to meet me and find out a little about me without being too prying. They were able to walk the fine line of getting personal and maintaining a high level of professional service.

The location was also great. I really don't like mid town but this place is just north of all the tourist traps and right on the corner of central park. It was great to be able to grab a coffee in the morning and start my day within the tranquility of the park.

I will definitely be staying here again on future trips.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear anewleaf,

i am glad we were able to meet your expectations and create a memorable experience for you. A happy guest is the highest reward for us and we very much appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and the Trip Advisor community.
I wil lmost certainly share your kind words with our staff.

Thank you again and i am very much looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to New York City.

Please dont hesitate to contact me directly in case i can be of any assistance to you.

6 Columbus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

6 Columbus was a pleasant experience. The staff and managent were very friendly and helpful. They had many recommendations for food, drinks and sights to see. The rooms were very spacious but my only concern was the lighting was a little dim and could be bit brighter. Above all it was a great hotel and I would recommend anyone to stay here while visiting NYC.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Morgan H

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for sharing your experience.
Please contact me directly the next time you are making reservations at 6 Columbus and i will make sure to supply you with extra lighting.

Saugerties, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We wanted a small boutique hotel near the park for this trip to New York, and I was lured by the location of this hotel and the nice photography on the hotel website. We negotiated a Queen Deluxe room (which was supposed to have 250 sq ft.) and breakfast for about $325 per night. The lobby is small a modern, with a cozy seating area. We arrived a little early, about 1PM and went across the street to the TIme Warner center to shop for a few hours till the room was ready. Even though the staff took my cell #, we didn't get a call and returned after 4PM to find that the room still wasn't ready. After waiting a few more minutes we were able to get into our room.

My first impression was dissapointment at the size. I specificlly picked the Queen Delux for the extra space, but this room seemed more like 175 sq ft than 250. Storage space in the room was minimal and my wife and I struggled to find space to unpack our two carry-on bags. The bathroom was adequately large though, and nicely appointed with modern fixtures and black tile walls. The one window had a view of the space between two buildings.

Internet access is a pricey $17 per day, even in the lobby, so we went next door to starbucks to get our wi-fi fix. I was also disappointed in the rooftop terrace, another selling feature of the hotel for me. Turned ou that this terrace was about 90 sq ft and had only a sliver of a view toward the park. Both times I went up there to get some air, nobody was around.

My wife and I both agreed that the high points of the hotel were the doormen and the breakfast. The doormen greeted us every time we passed by and chatted us up for our plans each morning, giving advice. With the Columbus circle subway stop right across the street this location was very convenient for getting around midtown. The continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant was free for us (but normally cost $25) and included a very nice fruit selection, granola, yougurt, and juice, milk, coffee.

Overall, we felt the room was too small for the price paid, and the hotel amenities were minimal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Steve W
Dear Steve W

Thank you for taking the time to write your very detailed review and I am sorry to hear that you did not entirely enjoy your stay with us. Please accept my apologies for not getting back to you in a timely manner while you were waiting for your room.
I have made a note in your guest profile to ensure to give you a room with more storage space the next time you visit.
Our Rooftop bar A6 was actually closed while you were visiting but i am happy to report that we are in the process of renovating the space. Stay tuned for an opening date.

Please do not hesitate to contact me anytime in case i can be of assistance to you.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed here for one night a few weeks ago. The hotel is very modern and has all the ammenities that you need. The room size was good, actually bigger than I expected. The hotel was very clean and up to date. What really made me happy was the staff. The staff was very kind and very helpful. Even the doorman was so polite and recommended a very nice restaurant for a late night dinner. The price is not cheap, but it's worth every penny. You won't get this type of service in a budget hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear Marcin Travels

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed you stay with us.
I will most certainly share your review with our staff.

I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New York City.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

6 Columbus is as you would expect right by Columbus Circle but not so close that you have to endure non stop traffic. I got in from a long flight and was given room keys at 3pm. As I wanted a bath and was given a room with a shower I talked to the bell hop and then reception. Within fifteen minutes I was in a room with a huge bath. The rest of my stay was a joy. Great, responsive and friendly service at a great location in midtown right by Central Park. The sushi bar in reception is very atmospheric (unusual in hotels these days) if a little pricey. Next time I'll be heading right back to Number 6. Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up are quieter