New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #281 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Geneva, Switzerland
“Not up to Thompson standards.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Very disappointing experience overall. I have stayed at other Thompson hotels and this was a total surprise at how poor the quality was. The lobby is shabby and tiny, as are the rooms. The customer service is awful, and that was one half of the problem. The main issue was that it was EXTREMELY loud in the hallway next to my room (43) beginning early in the morning. I got no sleep. Finally I called down at 9 am to ask for earplugs. I mentioned the issue for a second time during checkout and was given absolutely no recourse or reason to come back. The girl said a flippant 'sorry!' and turned away. Absolutely surprising and terrible. I have spent a huge amount of money on events, parties, celebrations and nights out at Thompson properties and do not plan to return after this experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Global_Nomadista
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Global_Nomadista

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please rest assured that guest satisfaction is our highest priorityl at 6 Columbus. The room you reserved was our standard POD room at 175 square feet and upon check in we upgraded you two categories to our Queen Deluxe room (250 square feet).
Being a Metropolitain city it happens that some guests are checking out early in the morning causing noise in the hallways. In the future please let us know immediately when your sleep is disturbed so we can take action and speak to your neighboring guests to rectify this situation immediately.
We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the near future. Please feel free to call me directly in case i can be of any assistance to you

Ralph Renz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

On one of the coldest days of the year, a little boxwood in a tall black planter shivers in the wind outside of the lobby of 6 Columbus. Tufted leather banquettes sparsely populated with bursts of bright pillows afford a bit of seating while I wait for my room to be ready. Two complaints of rooms with no heat have already been lodged at the front desk, and as the wind whips by the window this doesn’t seem to bode well.

The lobby, fronted by two very friendly door-men, is a balance of light and dark – coolly modern in style, like the rest of the hotel, but warmed by the staff. A sushi restaurant (Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill) is set off to the side, affording a tantalizing glimpse of a light wooden bar.

While Columbus Circle is not usually an area in which I’d stay while visiting New York, an online special ($140 a night, before taxes) lured me to 6 Columbus, and I’d heard good things about the parent company that runs it (Thompson Hotels).

A slightly dim elevator and hallway, the textured navy blue walls and dark floors eating up much of the light, lead to room #77. Like most New York accommodations, the pod rooms here are on the slightly smaller side of things (175 square feet), so it might be worth it to upgrade to a larger one if possible.

The bathroom is more ample, backed by glossy navy tiles and brightly polished Waterworks fixtures. Bolstered by Kiehl’s hair products and white fluffy towels, it is a modern, elegant space, even if an over-hyped Frette bathrobe errs on the side of starchy rather than soft.

Above the bed is a large Guy Bourdin print, echoing the proclaimed“60’s modernist” inspiration point for the hotel. The bed itself is comfortable, but not laid out with any top sheets – only a duvet. I’m neither picky nor grossed out about such things, and, as long as the heat was working, didn’t have need for extra bedding.

A word about the heat: despite my concerns upon hearing the complaints of other patrons, the heat in my room worked just fine – but it didn’t make it into the bathroom, which was a great deal cooler (not the ideal situation for January). I had to overcompensate in the bedroom to warm the tiled space, but it was nothing a hot shower didn’t fix.

On a Sunday night, the room remains pleasingly quiet, affording an uninterrupted evening of sleep. The next morning, as I make my way to the elevator, the unmistakable odor of pot hangs lightly in the air, while knocks and calls of “housekeeping” go unanswered. Another average day in New York has begun.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Alan I
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Alanllagan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such an eloquent description of our hotel and services. I am sorry to hear that the bathroom was not warm like the bedroom during your stay. We do recall the guests on your floor who unfortunately chose to smoke in their room, but we are glad that this issue was resolved by the Manager immediately. We really do pride ourselves on providing friendly and anticipatory guest service, and I am glad to hear that my team made you feel welcomed and comfortable. We hope that despite the issues you experienced that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to 6 Columbus.

Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

They call their rooms pods and rightfully so. The nice things are: friendly staff from the doormen to the front desk to the housekeeping staff to the restaurant. The decor is lovely and ultra-modern. The bed and linens are comfortable and all are clean. The location cannot be more convenient to buses going in every direction and the NYC subway which can be taken to any part of town. The size of the room prohibits any more than the bed, 2 small night tables, a very small closet with a good-sized safe at the bottom (makes it difficult to set your code) and a dresser/refrigerator within one console. The top is covered with all sorts of snacks and other conveniences as well as a complete stock of beverages. There are no vending machines or ice makers on the floor. No sitting area other than the bed nor a luggage rack. The bath is blue tiled with a fair sized shower and very deep sink. The small size makes it hard to bathe, do makeup and get dressed. The door to the bath is opaque class and the mirror over the sink emits a blue light when it is off. The room is not completely dark. It was OK to stay a couple of nights especially if you used the room primarily for sleeping but any lounging must take place in the lobby or the restaurant/bar which is right in the hotel. We didn't use these services but they both seemed to be busy. Access to the internet is at a cost but there is a Starbuck's next door.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear 2FunTrippers

Thank you for taking the time to give us a very detailed feedback. This is very much appreciated.
I am glad to hear you had an overall good experience at 6 Columbus and also enjoyed our neighborhood. I noted in your guest profile that you prefer one of our larger accomodations. We have a large varienty of room categories. Please contact me directly for your next visit to 6 Columbus and i will make sure we will find the right room for you.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

My boyfriend and I reserved the king deluxe room. When we arrived, we were surprised to have the front desk girl upgrade us complimentary to the king suite!!! It was like our own little modern apt!!! The room was so clean, the bed was super comfy , the pillows were like heaven, the staff was extremely friendly, and the restaurant at the hotel, Blue Ribbon, is DELICIOUS!!! This is a must stay hotel if you are traveling to NYC.

Room Tip: king suite
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Janine

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.
Please contact me directly in case i may be of any assistance.

Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed at 6 Columbus for a couple of days before Christmas. The sta were just terrific. We arrived before noon, and we were allowed to check in early. The girls at the desk one day had terrific recommendations for Thai restaurants. The bellman seemed to read our minds about storing our luggage for several hours when we checked out. Great in all regards! The rooms are small, as we expected. But the beds are as comfortable as our bed at home, the linens are top notch, and the location can't be beat. I loved the heated tile floor in the bathroom. I do wish that they had free wi- fi. We used the Starbucks next door instead.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear SReagan82

Thank yo so much for your feedback.
I am very proud of our team here and am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will most certainly share your comments with all here at 6 Columbus.
Please let me know in case i can be of any assistance to you in the future.