“Some basic expectations not met”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #360 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Let me start off by saying that the price and location of this particular Holiday Inn were fairly good.

However, there were some basics that simply weren't met. Room cleanliness is probably the number 1 concern - while our room had no bedbugs and the sheets themselves were fairly clean, everything else in our recently refurbished room (including all walls and handles) needed a thorough scrubbing. While some things did not look too dirty, when extra towels were delivered and I accidentally hit the wall with one, it was covered in black dirt. Similarly, when we moved the dresser to plug in a phone charger, there was dirt and garbage behind it. The bathroom also was not as clean as it should have been upon arrival (but got a little better the next two days). The bathroom also had an awkward layout, and as the sink and counter are in a separate are there was no place to put anything needed for shower time (might not be an issue for a couple or family, but could be awkward for groups of friends).

The service at the hotel was mixed. Our check-in and check-out were easy, and front staff and housekeeping were generally ready to help when needed. However, the concierge wanted to charge us an obscene amount of $ to make a local call to quickly ask a question of a venue we were attending later and would not even use his computer to look something up as we were leaving for the day. This was surprising as we have never encountered something like that in any of our travels.

Not sure if I would stay again, but this is an acceptable choice for a short trip and 2 or less people per room (having 4 made it harder!).

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank ruvb

Reviewed 20 February 2012

how can i say.... I already read previous comments so I had a very low expectation before check in. I bid this hotel at relatively reason price so the room is in reasonable size and offers magnificent NYC city view as we were put in at higher floor. However, I bump in a mice right after I settled kid to sleep. It was small mice coming out from TV stand and started running around after we saw each other eye to eye. I called up hotel and the staffs, four of them, came quickly and put us in another room with lower floor. With the surprises seeing a mice and didn't want to disturb kids sleep, we didn't complain too much. The staffs came in our room without an apology, seems this is common in this hotel or in NYC. But only offered helping moving the luggages. For this hotel, I have to give credit for its location. There is no refrigerator in the room so don't bring any snacks in the room, which might attract the unexpected guest(s).

4  Thank robertcyl
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I recently stayed one night in this hotel for a business trip. The location was perfect (just one block away from where our meeting was held, and very close to Columbus Circle). My room had up-to-date furnishings so it had probably been renovated recently. It was quite spacious although the bathroom was small. The bed was comfortable. I had requested a quiet room when I made my reservation, and was happy to be put in a room at the end of the hall, far from the elevators. Even so, I could hear clearly anything going on in the hallway. Luckily none of my neighbors turned out to be noisy night-owls so I had no problem sleeping. The cafe where breakfast is served doesn't have a lot of ambience, but the service was fast and the food was fine. The room rate was amazingly low for being in such a great location in NYC, making this hotel a fantastic value.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank hollholl
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The urban location and the new beds are the best bets. The rooms are being re-furbished so speak up to avoid an older one. There are many complaints about the noise - but even if you are in close proximity to the elevators and pipe chases - we had the unfortunate episodes of two (2) couples have angry arguments in adjacent rooms. No amount of sound dampening would have quieted these soon-to-be-divorced couples. Unfortunately we had to experience their hurtful words while having such a wonderful time here. Shame on them as they had no respect for their spouse nor their neighbors. But every one of the staff we met was terrific and helpful so we'll be back.

Room Tip: Request refurbished room on higher floor on the south (quiet) side for best views and daylight.
Reviewed 18 February 2012

nicely located near Central Park, very helpful staff sadly this hotel is in need of a good refurbishment