“Great Hotel, highly recommend”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #311 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sunderland, UK
“Great Hotel, highly recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I cannot fault this hotel. It may not be the most attractive from the outside, but inside was great. Very clean and the staff were very helpful and polite whenever we needed their help. Its only a few minutes to grand central station and about a 10-15 minute walk to time square.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are very happy to read that you liked our hotel and will recommend it to others traveling to NYC.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stay period : Feb 24 to Feb 26.

1. Location : Middle Town near Grand Central Station, from Grand Central Station walk to Hilton Manhattan East Hotel take 7 to 10 mins just a straight way, it's easy and not hard to found. The area there is save, lot of expensive shop, famous building like Empire State Building, New York Public Library around there, and it took 10 to 15 mins or 20 mins walk to Time Square. Taxi driver have no problem to found there.

2. Hotel Lobby : Nice decorated, Free Wifi, have desk for trourist information like map, guide, comfortable sofa, nice desk lady, I had several time at midnight asking question, the Front Desk Manager (men, forgot the name) is really helpful, like asking for help how to make the free wifi working on my Galaxy Note, where to buy cigarette........

3. Room : a - Room is small and you can say nice. The most important to me is the TV and music player, my one is not Ipod, but the have the clock radio which can put my Galaxy Note to play my own music. TV have not much channel but enough for a tried night when you fell very sleepy, they don't have much movie channel also music channel. The movie Channel is AMC and HBO, movie was old and boring.

b - The bed is very comfortable, they have 4 pillow and it's also comfortable, the bed also have a long and big cushion and it occupied my bed a 1/3 portion so I just put it away.

c - The bathroom is dated, bath tub have some dirty spot, the amenities like shampoo, conditioner, is not really plenty, and the most weird thing is they don't have hair dryer ~!! On Feb 24 Friday night when I arrrived from Virginia to NYC at 5:30pm, strong wind and crazy rain make me all wet even my hair, and they don't have HAIR DRYER !!! and the room have coffee and tea complimentary but I can't found the water even the water bolier, and there have no mini bar so I need to go to near supermarket at 3am to buy a can of beer!

d - When I want to have hair dryer I call front desk and they send me hair dryer and water within 15 mins. At least I don't need to wait a long time with my wet and dirty hair, and I want to sleep very much!

e - The view of the room is different from the site I saw. I got a room on 1616 (16/F), left and right side window is facing the back or roof or window of other building, no city view.

f - When I asking is there any business center or the place which provide internet service, and they show me the business center but charges is expensive.

g - For sleeping, the room is quiet , no noise to disturb you, and there have a nice mirror which stick on the bathroom door so when you close the bathroom door the whole door mirror will be the part of the room's wall. So lucky my bed is not facing the mirror or I can't get in sleep.

4. Awful thing : When I come back at midnight want to go to washroom, I found the washroom at lobby end the toilet bowl is full of pp and lot of tissue, floor is not clean, the whole washroom is very dirty, how can it happen on a Hilton Hotel????!!!!!!

5. Front desk staff : When I want to add one more night on Monday, the lady of front desk help me to check price, she give me a good advise that if book in the front desk they can make it for me without problem but the price is US$199 (not including tax), and the price I booked from Agoda on site is US$169, so she told me book on site if want to get the same price.

On the whole the staff of this hotel is friendly and helpful. But some facilities like the lobby washroom is awful, the room should be get everything really before the tourist move in, The bathroom is look very nice little bit older, and the bath tub look not really decent, I think hair dryer is the MUST HAVE ITEM in the bathroom, the advantage of the room is lot of adapter for charging. So I can charge my camera and Galaxy Note.

Totally this hotel not bad for the price US$169 from Feb 24 to 26, But now I checked it already turn to US$299. I won't move in for this price. Lot of choice.

Room Tip: Ask for the city view or your room have to face the other building 's window, back, roof, wall.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank jamyou
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to read that your overall experience was positive. We will review your other comments with the team.
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had the opportunity to stay several times at former Tuddor Hotel and I was present when it became a Hilton property, so I can tell their small lobby and halls make this property a very cozy alternative where to stay once in Manhattan. Not only a very well located hotel, since you can walk to Grand Central metro station, but you can also find a great wine store within a 30 second walk from hotel. A "basic" breakfast at the Hilton East Manhattan for an expensive price. Don't ever expect to get a big room, but even that, they have a classy style that will make this a nice experience.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julio G
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to read your "Cozy" thoughts. We hope you will return to the Hilton soon and continue to enjoy our cozy location and rooms.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Extremes in several categories. The location was a pleasant surprise since it's close to Grand Central but on a quiet street. Service at check-in and breakfast was prompt and friendly. The biggest negative was I did not get the King I asked for and ended up with 2 twin beds. I was immediately offered breakfast vouchers and a King when it became available. Friendly service.

Now that twin room had a shower with no tub or partition of any kind. In such a small bathroom it just meant every shower made the floor wet all over. Not good.

• Stayed January 2012
DICohen, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thanbk you for your comments. We are sorry that we were not able to honor your requested bed type. We are glad to read that our location and other services were better then expected. We look forward to your next visit to the Hilton and will make every attempt to provide your requested room type.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Loved our stay at this hotel. Was in a perfect location for visiting all New Yorks attractions. It had the comfiest beds I have ever slept in and the coffee machine in the room was a great touch. We were here at the time of hurricane Irene and all the staff were really helpful at keeping us informed on what was going on and extending our stay. We had a problem with a leak through our ceiling from the room above and we were moved instantly with no fuss and received free breakfast for the inconvenience. This will definitely be my first choice for a New York hotel in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. We are all very glad to read that your bed was the "Comfiest", this is what we all strive to achieve. We look forward to your next visit to NYC and of course the Hilton Manhattan East Hotel.