“Love the Ahi Tuna and Salmon rice bowl!”
Review of Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder
Ranked #153 of 446 Quick Bites in New York City
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 16 January 2018

This place is close to my office and the UN, so the location is good. It might be a bit difficult to find it first but many people will be surprised to see this place from outside and find that the food is yummy here. My friends and I love to have our lunch break here.

The place is not that big but clean, modern, and homey. Nicely arrange table, gives the feeling of a spacious room and it even has some books for kids.

I like the rice bowls with salmon and ahi tuna over the brown rice and spicy sauce. The kids love the hotdogs and waffle fries obviously, and the shakes. The price is reasonable and the staff are very efficient. They also have the hot sauce that I love.

It can be crowded during lunch time but it's not that crazily packed.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 2 January 2018

I was prompted to visit this establishment after reading a review of it in the 50 best inexpensive eating places in NYC. What a great find. We enjoyed NYC hotdogs, waffle fries and craft beer. Happy hours went from 4.30 to 6.3 so beers were only $4 whilst the delicious hot dogs were around $3.50. Had a good evening at Sons of Thunder, It is an unpretentious place and not particularly well signposted, it is though worth seeking out. In its class I rate the place highly.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 24 October 2017

We were craving some light fare after two days in NYC and discovered this spot. I loved it. Poke bowls in NYC. Who would have thunk it????? The place is very minimal inside with very enthusiastic folks making the orders. The tuna was so fresh. The combination of all the flavors in the bowl was a taste sensation. I would recommend.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Dropped-in to this restaurant quite by accident. We were looking for something suitable for my near vegetarian wife, myself (a meat lover) and a 14-year-old boy and his Mom. The restaurant is advertised as a "Hawaiian" cuisine restaurant. The set-up is that you order at the front counter when you get in, and you get a beeper that rings and flashes when your food is ready so you can go pick it up. The choices are raw marinated tuna or salmon on rice with your choice of toppings.
What awesome food! Just loved it! So did everyone else at our table. I had visions of getting sushi, but that wasn't the case at all. It was absolutely delicious. It was ready quickly, and the orders were correct. Even my wife's house red wine was good. I love it when you get pleasantly surprised. I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant for fair priced eats!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 23 July 2017

This review is long overdue. This place is my go-to lunch spot in mid-town, regardless of the long lines. I've been coming here for over a year, and the poke bowl (salmon, and tuna) has always been amazing -- soooo good and delicious and fresh. it's addicting! I could go on and on. Service is efficient. Place is clean.

Date of visit: July 2017