“Good Food but Great View!”
Review of One Dine

One Dine
Ranked #1,655 of 14,908 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Reviewed 1 May 2017

Ate Christmas Day lunch here. A little unusual that you have to pay to enter observation area even when you have a restaurant reservation, however, the food and service were good and the view is quite spectacular. We were fortunate that it was a very clear day, and to have lunch with this incredible view was a great experience.

Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

My friend and I live in NYC and we decided to celebrate a special occasion in this restaurant. The food was delicious, specially dessert. Can't wait to get back.
The service was superb
Our waiter Sayit was very attentive and nice. He made our night very special.

Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

This was a gem. Very unique, food pricey but was amazing. We both had the steak and Brussel sprouts. Would recommend at least dining here one time.

1  Thank Gatortoe13
Reviewed 2 April 2017

I lived in NYC for many years and have eaten at hundreds of fine restaurants there, both with and without children. I consider myself a foodie. Today, I went to this restaurant with a 21-month-old toddler, my husband, and my mother for a birthday celebration. Since the restaurant is entwined with the observatory itself, I’m giving info for both, as their websites leave a lot to be desired for a visiting family and it’s impossible to reach anyone by phone. To find useful information, I had to read a lot of reviews like these! I wish I had better understood the following before visiting.

*ELEVATOR TICKETS: You cannot enter the restaurant without buying an elevator ticket. Children under 5 are free, but they still need a ticket. (We didn't have one for our son since we got our adult tickets through a groupon and it was a little unclear on that link if I could add a guest who’d be free. At the security gate, they had us stand aside while my mother went to the guest services desk to get him one. Luckily, it didn't take long.) Tickets are pricey – look for discounts.

*SECURITY: The website for the observatory FAQ has a list of things that cannot be taken in. Listed are double-wide strollers and strollers that cannot be folded. They make you fold the strollers to pack more people into the elevator. A double-wide stroller might not fit through some of the tighter walkways. We brought a stroller that folds (City Mini Jogger) and it was a royal pain. There were so many times we had to take our child out, fold the stroller, and hold it on an escalator. We didn't see any obvious elevators within the viewing and restaurant area (two different floors). I was glad we had 3 adults to maneuver. I think a lightweight umbrella stroller would've been easier to use. The observatory FAQ also says no bags larger than 25x17x9 inches. This could be a problem if you have a huge diaper bag. They did not have a ban on water bottles and didn’t confiscate any of the liquids I brought.

*ELEVATOR: The elevator was a quick ride. All of our ears popped getting to the 100-102 floors. My son cries when his ears pop on a plane that’s taking off/landing, but he giggled on this elevator. I think he was very distracted by all the video screens that covered the entire elevator and told a story as we rose. (There is nearly no mention of the previous Twin Towers, so no worries about traumatizing children.)

*VIEWS: The views were truly amazing. Cancel your reservation if it's a cloudy/rainy/foggy day as visibility will be poor. Don't buy the elevator ticket until the day of your reservation. The elevator drops you off in front of a cool (not scary) 2-3 minute movie experience with a dramatic conclusion, then you go into the observatory with huge glass windows spanning several stories. Everyone was standing on the little ledges up against the glass, including my son. As the restaurant is inside the observatory, you can enjoy the views before and after your meal.

*FOOD QUALITY: I'd give the food a 4 out of 5. Everything I ate was delicious. I had the salmon salad - the salmon was cooked properly with a crispy skin. My husband really enjoyed his chicken and with a potato side he has never liked before. Picky eaters should check the menu ahead of time. The food menu was extremely short but the alcohol menu was very extensive. Cocktails were $18 each. The $12 watermelon mocktail was totally worth it.

*NOT KID FRIENDLY: They had no high chairs, booster seats, or kid menus. There is a lot of hoopla to get to this restaurant from security lines to pricey elevators, so we did not bring our own booster seat. I’m not sure we could’ve managed lugging it around. But the restaurant did not have any place to seat my child. It’s in a family touristy spot, but they were not family friendly at all, even though we were dining at 4 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon. So we waited for a booth in hopes we could pen in our squirmy little guy with bags and coats. That worked for half the meal but he wound up in the stroller eventually. I suggested to two different hostesses that they should get high chairs or advertise clearly that it’s an adult-only restaurant. I was told that they’ve gotten this request multiple times before (yet they haven’t done anything about it).

*STAFF: In general, I found the staff unfriendly and not as helpful as I’d expect from a place with this quality food. An 18% tip is automatically added to every bill, so they may not feel the need to earn it. Our waiter never smiled. My son waved at him repeatedly, saying hi cheerfully each time he approached, but the waiter didn’t acknowledge him. And my child was pretty well behaved. It took them 50 minutes to bring us our food (and no bread basket!) while the table next to us got their appetizers and entrees at the same time.

*BATHROOMS: I didn’t see a bathroom in the restaurant, so we used the one by the gift shop in the observatory. The women’s room had a changing table in the handicapped stall. The men’s room did not. Unlike the National September 11 Museum, One World Observatory did not have a family bathroom.

*TIMING: We had a 4:00 dinner reservation. The website suggests reserving an elevator spot at least a half hour before your reservation, which would’ve been 3:30. The elevator reservation site recommends getting there 15 minutes before your scheduled time, so 3:15 arrival. We got there at 2:45 for our 3:00 elevator ride because I wanted to have plenty of time to enjoy the views before eating. It was a little too much time with a toddler in tow – I should’ve gone with the websites’ timing suggestions and then stayed on the observation deck longer after dinner if I wanted more viewing time. It was easy to go between the two.

5  Thank Joy G
Reviewed 26 March 2017

A friend and I, native New Yorkers, have been dying to see the views from the observatory. We stumbled on One Dine where we stopped for a "quick" drink. Two hours later we found ourselves engrossed in the conversations of personable and knowledgeable bartenders like Matthew. He was great- attentive and hospitable.

Drinks were expensive but what isnt in NYC? We ordered the pre-made peach sangria. Fair size and delicious!