“Epic lunch can't wait to try dinner”
Review of The Clocktower

The Clocktower
Reserve with OpenTable
The Clocktower is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #867 of 15,870 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Flatiron District
Neighbourhood: Flatiron District
Reviewed 21 October 2015 via mobile

Epic brunch, well really lunch. Oysters were excellent. The lobster salad was amazing and a very large portion. Fish and chips were quite good. And the mac & cheese with oxtail and mushrooms was divine though very rich. We were treated to some excellent petit fours at the end.

1  Thank USCKaboom

Reviewed 19 October 2015

Thoroughly delightful meal at the clocktower. Upon arriving we were taken on a tour of the restaurant before being taken to our table in the main dining room The food was exquisite, in particular the pigeon pie with Waldorf salad and foie gras, the pork chop in a charcuterie sauce and the pistachio soufflé with chocolate ice cream. The staff were extremely attentive and made the whole dining experience a joy!

Reviewed 19 October 2015

Three friends for dinner. Reservation honored immediately. VERY interesting rooms and décor that served as the Chairman of Metropolitan Life Insurance in another life. Interested fixtures and photos above old wood paneling. Interesting and active horseshoe shaped bar. Well stock liquor supply.

Three dining rooms which made it feel intimate, but the noise was terrible, partly because of the unnecessarily LOUD music that is not appropriate for dining. Not soft background music but predominant. We asked for it to be turned down some and it was better, but it's unnecessary in anything but the bar, if there. We could not hear each other.

Slower service to greet. Water poured with no ice -- provided in a glass upon request. Tepid water not appealing. A bit of time before drinks were ordered... and a longer time for their delivery. Long enough that the sommelier arrived, took our order for a bottle of wine, opened it and poured for tasting. That should be interpreted as too long. They were out of the ordered 12 year old Glen Livet Single Malt and provided 15 year old at same charge. Nicer tough.

Wine list expensive. Least cost bottle $65. Fewer options at less than $100. Be prepared.

Menu interesting... so interesting to the point that our host could not find a single thing on the first course menu of interest. Exotic. If you are a "simple" eater, this menu is not for you. Much fish on main course. Again, "interesting". We ordered the roast -- asked if it were prime rib. Ordered rare by one guest. Not available. Only medium or well done. When it arrive it was beautifully presented on a large plate of delicious potatoes, roasted cabbage (delicious) and carrots. The mean was a very thin slice of beef -- not the expected "thick cut". $39. It was enough to eat for sure, even without appetizers (which no one ordered), but it was small. If you wanted a slab of prime rib, this was not it. Nieman Ranch pork chop arrived. Small veggies on top. Large chop. Nicely prepared and served.

One dessert of apple tart for two came. It could have fed four. Small sides of ice cream for each who ate it. brought some home. I am not a sweet eater.... so I passed.

We had at least six different people serve us. Attentive but no relationship with the water. Water not refilled.

All in all a pleasant enough evening. Expensive when all was said and one. Doubtful I will return, but the space is interesting. Maybe for lunch or breakfast.

Reviewed 18 October 2015

You have to differentiate here between the food, the ambience and the service. It was crowded - that's a good sign - but it was very noisy! Hard to speak to the person on your table and the decor - no carpet no curtains is not designed to soak up any of the bustle. The sommelier was excellent - gave us a lot of time, recommended glasses of red wine very well and served up good stuff. The Duval Leroy champagne by the glass was enjoyable; the Rippon Central Otago Riesling was very special and the glasses of Sicilian red and Bourgogne rouge were top notch with the lamb. The food was excellent overall. We tried the 6 oysters and a mix of the 3 types - all good although the Massachusetts were my favourite. For starters my daughter had the scallops which she enjoyed - but a little too buttery for me. I had the native lobster - WOW! This was exceptional - the fennel kicked in beautifully, the mussel and apple salad went really well - all clean flavours and the lobster was lovely. The bread served was presented warm - which I always think shows a bit of extra care. For mains we both had the North African spiced Colorado lamb. The lamb was stunning although I struggled to identify much spice. The smoked eggplant with it was lovely but there was a puree underneath it all which added nothing to the dish. This is being picky - it was a lovely mains. For dessert I had the strawberries and cream with vanilla custard - lovely. So no complaints at all about the food. The service? Well it was fine for most of the service , but after the dessert a waiter walked up and gave us the bill. We had not asked for it and actually wanted a hot drink - this would not happen in a good restaurant in London. Well I got my cup of coffee and was told that for a top up I would just have to signal a waiter. Well I tried but the one on the floor was too busy checking his mobile phone to attend to the customers. Such a great pity. With the coffee there was a type of petit fours but they were not memorable. When we were asked what our experience had been and we told them the management could not have been more apologetic. We also got a visit from the head chef - a greta privilege.So nearly a great restaurant but not quite.

Reviewed 15 October 2015 via mobile

Being from London we were very excited when we heard Jason Atherton had opened a new restaurant in NYC. We were even more excited when we managed to get a reservation for whilst we were on holiday there.

The whole vibe of this place is cool, sleek and stylish, not too dissimilar to some of his London restaurants. The artwork and picture frames on the wall, the pool table, the stylish bar area, the high ceilings and low key lighting all add to the trendy vibe that's going on here.

Admittedly there was a flaw. This place hadn't been open long and you could tell the staff were still finding their way and figuring things out. Whilst we were there things were dropped, waiters were left stood with food with no one to serve it, wrong orders were brought out. But teething problems aside this place has all the marks of being an absolutely fantastic restaurant.

We arrived on time but our table wasn't ready (just little things that make you notice it's not a totally well oiled operation just yet) but we sat at the bar and grabbed a drink. A cold fashioned for me, boy was it strong but delicious, and a nice touch with the coffee too. My boyfriend had the American cereal killer, great presentation and a great cocktail too.

We were eventually taken to our seats. We were given bread as we perused the menu and it was a generous serving and still warm. It was absolutely delicious and very well seasoned with lots of salt. For starter I had the steak tartare, which I've never ordered before but thought if any was the right time it was now. It was beautiful! A generous portion too, well seasoned and the toasted sourdough was so a great accompaniment. The presentation was stunning. For main I had the halibut which was beautifully cooked and so flaky, the seaweed was very tasty and the carrots were perfectly cooked. I must admit I had food envy though as my boyfriend ordered the burger. My goodness it was an amazing burger, tasty, juicy, well seasoned, well cooked. And the chips were the best he's ever had, proper big chunky chips like you would expect on a British chef's menu.

For dessert we shared the tarte tatin. This will become the Clocktower signature dish. The pastry was the perfect mix of crispy and chewy and light and buttery, the apples were soft yet maintained a sharpness and bite, and the gooey, caramel glaze was sweet and buttery. The vanilla ice cream was amazing and a generous scoop - which you needed it to be as this tarte was more than enough for two!

The food was unbelievably good, just as good as some of the Michelin starred restaurants we've eaten in, so I don't think it'll be too long before the Clocktower gets one. The wine menu was very expensive, and seemed overpriced compared to the great value of the food.

The little treat box at the end was a lovely touch. The staff were very friendly and polite and once they get into the swing of things and the few slight problems are ironed out this restaurant will be truly amazing. Just wish the wine list was a bit more reasonable, as the food was sensationally good value.